A2 belfast to Bangor carriageway speed cameras

Ricky

RMS Regular
Hi,

Does anybody know if the cameras on the A2 Bangor to Belfast dual carriageway are good at detecting speeding?

I was doing about 41-43 in a 40mph, the speed limit changes so much along that road that i forgot what the limit was and then there was a camera right above me.

It was at the stretch just outside Holywood a train station heading to Belfast, just before the 60mph sign.

Thanks

KevM

RMS Regular
If they are active, I wouldnt be worrying about 41-43. There are a lot of traffic lights to stop you along there too, its unlikely your average was over the threshold.

Chris_702

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
They are average speed cameras so of course they are 'any good' at detecting speed - thats what they are designed to do.

I've been caught at the ones outside the Culloden Hotel previously.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
I was told only the one at the Culloden and Dixons is functional. In fact, anyone I've known to get caught speeding on the road it's been at those two places.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
I was told only the one at the Culloden and Dixons is functional. In fact, anyone I've known to get caught speeding on the road it's been at those two places.
The culloden and Dixon's stretches are the only ones not interrupted by traffic lights therefore can give a true average speed.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Fair enough, that is what I was told by a bangor solicitor who has dealt with over 30 tickets from the cameras, i never checked myself even though i drive the road everyday.
Would you care to expand then!

These are the only published calibration certificates for that stretch of road.
Screenshot_20190827-135740_Chrome.jpg

Ricky

RMS Regular
OP
R
They are average speed cameras so of course they are 'any good' at detecting speed - thats what they are designed to do.

I've been caught at the ones outside the Culloden Hotel previously.

Sh1t, honestly hope that they didn’t catch me out

Last edited:

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
A friend of mine drives the road regularly and speeds 100% of the time, just not at Dixons Dicksons and the Culloden. He was never been given points, ever.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
T
You'll not a get ticket for doing 43 trust me. I drive that road every day and the tolerance levels are generous let's just say.
They aren't that generous - wife was caught at 60 in the 50 at Culloden. Not even sure if they work on ACPO guidelines for enforcement.

Ricky

RMS Regular
OP
R
****, honestly hope that they didn’t catch me out
You'll not a get ticket for doing 43 trust me. I drive that road every day and the tolerance levels are generous let's just say.

Hopefully not then.

People who have been driving for years like yourself probably wouldn’t worry too much about it but I’m still on my R plates so I’m kinda anxious about it all, even if I’m only over the limit by 1mph as I don’t know How accurate the cameras all are 😂 you probably think I’m being a **** but honestly I can’t be bothered with fines/points/speed awareness course not to mention the possibility of increased insurance premiums

ShaunB

RMS Regular
Fella I work with was caught doing 55 in the 50 zone, I told him to appeal it, but as he got speed awareness course, he couldn't be bothered.
Not sure which camera though

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Is it not 10% plus 2 mph? I was stopped on the A1 at Banbridge doing 70mph in the 60mph (completely forgot and was daydreaming with cruise control on). Cops said I was gps indicated at 68mph, so thankfully they let me off.

Stu Beck

RMS Regular
I was always told that was a myth, there's no official leeway for going over.
I was told by a cop 10% plus 2.
You can look them up in England. Every district seems to be different over there.
5C250CF5-91E7-4FF5-80E1-8A1DDFB6A249.png

Last edited:

pablo

RMS Moderator
speedo error and averaging out would likely pull you down to 40 ish. cruise control was built for average speed camera zones, but I always set to a few over.