A2 belfast to Bangor carriageway speed cameras

brendy

RMS Regular
Any time I'm on that road I stick to the limit but there is a constant stream of cars bombing past in the outside lane. Always wondered how they're all escaping being caught 🤷‍♂️
I'd tend to do 54 or 55 in 50 and 63,64 in the 60 using cruise control, If someone wants to go on past they can be my guest.

Ricky

RMS Regular
OP
R
I'd tend to do 54 or 55 in 50 and 63,64 in the 60 using cruise control, If someone wants to go on past they can be my guest.

Have you ever been caught? If not then I suppose I’ll be fine then
Any time I'm on that road I stick to the limit but there is a constant stream of cars bombing past in the outside lane. Always wondered how they're all escaping being caught 🤷‍♂️

Yeah I stick to the limits too, sometimes if I’m driving straight I tend to go over the limit slightly unintentionally

brendy

RMS Regular
Have you ever been caught? If not then I suppose I’ll be fine then

Yeah I stick to the limits too, sometimes if I’m driving straight I tend to go over the limit slightly unintentionally
Never had anything back from this, obviously in heavier traffic it's not even possible to get to the limit anyway but airport runs etc have all been fine.

ShaunB

RMS Regular

Exactly, my theory is this, they join the road before the first detection, they can do whatever speed they want until they reach the first camera, then they must behave.

For example, if I'm coming home to Bangor from Dundonald via Craigantlet, I could do whatever speed I wanted past that last camera, and then folks would be wondering, how's yer man still got a license to drive

Last edited:

wes

RMS Regular
Is it not 10% plus 2 mph? I was stopped on the A1 at Banbridge doing 70mph in the 60mph (completely forgot and was daydreaming with cruise control on). Cops said I was gps indicated at 68mph, so thankfully they let me off.
The police posted this on facebook one day after catching someone doing 100 plus on the m5 a couple months ago, and they basically said the rule is 10% +2 but to the officers descretion at the time @Rocko

ShaunB

RMS Regular
No, I can't remember seeing a speed limit sign saying "50 plus a bit"
Don't be silly now.

Have you never wandered over the limit unintentionally by a few mph?
You'd be mightily pissed off if a cop got you with his speed gun doing 53 in a 50 now wouldn't you.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
I'm not being silly, you've said you were trying to get someone who exceeded the speed limit and got caught by an automatic machine to contest it at court?! ACPO guidelines are recommendations only for enforcement, not gospel or written in stone must dos.
Where did 53 come from by the way?

ShaunB

RMS Regular
I'm not being silly, you've said you were trying to get someone who exceeded the speed limit and got caught by an automatic machine to contest it at court?! ACPO guidelines are recommendations only for enforcement, not gospel or written in stone must dos.
Where did 53 come from by the way?
Listen, you're being daft, and I never mentioned court either.
There are guidelines that suggest a tolerance of 10% + 2 mph.
So my question to you was if you were in a 50mph zone, enjoying the weather, or singing to your favourite song, and maybe wandered your speed to say 53.
Would you be happy that you were done for speeding, and just accept the fact, pay the fine etc.

Of course you wouldn't, you'd appeal it straight away.
Al the best
As do I, but according to purplea4T, we should be done for exceeding the limit by such minuscule amounts

purplea4T

RMS Regular
Listen, you're being daft, and I never mentioned court either.
There are guidelines that suggest a tolerance of 10% + 2 mph.
So my question to you was if you were in a 50mph zone, enjoying the weather, or singing to your favourite song, and maybe wandered your speed to say 53.
Would you be happy that you were done for speeding, and just accept the fact, pay the fine etc.

Of course you wouldn't, you'd appeal it straight away.
Al the best

As do I, but according to purplea4T, we should be done for exceeding the limit by such minuscule amounts
You need to catch yourself on, I never mentioned anyone being "done for exceeding the limit by a miniscule amount".
It has also been mentioned before that the tolerances on Specs cameras are lower than than the guidelines and the only way to appeal a speeding ticket is through court.
Your mate was ticketed at 55 which is 10% so we can guess the tolerance on the cameras from that can't we? I've never seen a ticket or know of one issued at 3mph over a limit.
I tootle along at the same speeds that @brendy does and never had a problem.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Not sure how an appeal would go anyway, if you actually admit you were speeding.

"What's the appeal ?"

"I don't think I should've been done for speeding"

"What was the limit?"

"50"

"What speed we're you doing?"

"55"

Yeah if i got pulled over by the police that would be the conversation I'd have , but wouldn't be going to court and saying it.

Noel McQ

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS
got caught doing 10 over through the average speed cameras on that road a few weeks ago. fine said through average speed cameras at ballyrobert road