A5 Black Edition

lee2050

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayenne
Hi all,

I've had this car for nearly 18 months now and although active on other Audi specific forums, thought I'd pull across some posts here for anyone interested!

Specification as follows:

2011 Audi A5 Black Edition
2.0 TFSI petrol engine
Glacier white (not standard ibis)
19k miles at time of purchase, now just turned 30k
Full service history
Black Valcona leather upgrade
Bang and Olufsen sound system
Start / stop
Xenons & DRLs
19" Rotar alloys
Black Edition interior inserts
Etc

Photos are below from the for sale ad. I'll be adding some more from throughout my ownership.

Cheers,

Lee

Last edited:

lee2050

RMS Regular
OP
lee2050
Drives
Cayenne
The car is now home safe and sound and settling in well - it was purchased in England near Leicester and driven back by my brother and I. Excellent road trip when you have a new car as you can get some good blasts through the Yorkshire dales.

Shortly after collection (excuse the Instagram filters):

400+ miles later, waiting for the ferry home at Cairnryan:

Parked up when I got home - no chance of tackling the gate posts after 8+ hours driving:

And still there in the morning thankfully:

The car has since had a bath with some Autoglym shampoo and a lambswool mitt, the wheels cleaned with some Autoglym wheel cleaner and the tyres dressed with some Autosmart spray that I had although I dont know the name of - it seems to be almost silicon based.

I am going to spend this weekend reading up on new products for the arsenal...

lee2050

RMS Regular
OP
lee2050
Drives
Cayenne
May 2015:

Ordered some additional items too:

LED bulbs for number plate, fogs and interior
New pressed number plates
Replacement dust caps
OEM second keyring
Autosmart Tardis to tackle the model badge removal
Autosol to start the polishing process of the exhaust tips
Autosmart G101 to help with the above

Still loving the car so far!

Averaging 32.7 MPG too which seems good given I do a lot of city centre driving. The start/stop may be helping more than I thought it would.

Cheers,

Lee

lee2050

RMS Regular
OP
lee2050
Drives
Cayenne
June 2015:

Still pressing on with the car and been very busy. Since my last update:

Interior white LED bulbs fitted to brighten up the interior. The standard yellow halogen bulbs really bugged me. No photos, but you get the idea.

Replaced the front fogs with some better bulbs. Again the standard bulbs were contrasting too much with the DRLs. Given that the fogs are the "find my way way home" bulbs when you open and lock the car, it really ground my gears looking at the yellow tinge. Photo below shows the comparison, although it is more stark in real life / night time.

LED number plate bulbs fitted too to complete the bulb changes.

Took the car for a run to Lough Eske in Donegal for the weekend. Safe to say I loved it! Excuse the Instagram filters (@leerossevans for anyone interested) as I use it quite a lot.

Pressed, legal font plates arrived this morning too, they'll be going on tonight once I get home.

Auto Smart Tardis has arrived too, so going to do a debadge when I get time this week.

Cheers,

Lee

lee2050

RMS Regular
OP
lee2050
Drives
Cayenne
Next update August 2015. Car is now holding the new pressed plates and I debadged the rear using Autosmart Tardis and an old hairdryer:

I also spent an hour bringing the exhaust up to standard with G101, wire wool and Autosol. Delighted with how it came up. The first photo was after some G101 and a good scrub. The wire wool and Autosol really worked wonders!!

Cheers,

Lee

lee2050

RMS Regular
OP
lee2050
Drives
Cayenne
September 2015 came and after 6000 miles since purchase, the dreaded oil consumption issue that the 2.0 TFSI engine suffers from reared its head with no warning. There was now 25k on the car and I was surprised that it just started using oil at a rapid rate of knots for such a fresh car. It seemed to be around 1 litre every 700-1000 miles. Not chronic, but enough to concern me and it varied depending on what type of driving I was doing.

Fearing a large bill, I dropped the car down to Audi Belfast to have the official oil consumption test completed - a £60 charge which I wasn't made to pay.

For this they drained the car of oil, then filled it up with a carefully measured volume so they know exactly how much is in the engine. I was then asked to drive 621 miles, or until the one litre warning comes on, whichever is first. After 625ish miles, I returned the car to the Audi Belfast and they drained the engine again to measure how much was left. I had read online that if more than half a litre has been used over 621 miles, the car has failed the test and they will recommend a repair. The oil level reading was still over half so I didnt know what to expect.

The next day, I got a call to say the car was on the borderline for recommending repair. To cut a long story short, I managed to argue a fix and Audi UK agreed to pay for it. Result! :laughing: The work was organised for a time that suited me a few days later.

As for the fix itself, this involves removing the engine from the car, stripping it down to the cylinders and replacing the pistons, piston rings and con rods. It takes around 12 hours to do this, so it is not a trivial piece of work. Audi dealers typically charge £4000ish for this. They did mention the cost to me and other than asking for a positive review afterwards, no money changed hands for any of the work or even the oil itself!

They had the car for around 4 days in total but I think the work was completed in 2 and I was given a new A3 sportback as a courtesy car which was surprisingly nice to drive and very practical for the golf clubs and trolley! It came with a full tank of fuel and they said just return it empty! No need to fill up.

Upon collecting the car, I must admit, I was thoroughly satisfied with Audi Belfast and the team there - excellent customer service, a positive atmosphere and always made to feel welcome despite the problems at hand. Again, I had heard a lot of negative things and having not purchased the car directly with them, I was a little apprehensive.

Big thumbs up to Audi Belfast!!

I've since put another 5000 miles on the car and the oil level hasnt moved until its annual service at the end of July.

lee2050

RMS Regular
OP
lee2050
Drives
Cayenne
With the car back on the road and with renewed interest in my bicycle this year, it has hardly moved and stayed clean on the most part. Still love seeing it gleaming!

March 2016 typical Tesco car park photo
Capture8.JPG

lee2050

RMS Regular
OP
lee2050
Drives
Cayenne
April came and I needed 2 new front tyres. Audi recommend Pirelli P Zero but I must admit I was distinctly underwhelmed by them in the wet. A lot of guys on the A5 forums rant and rave about Dunlup SP Sport Maxx GT so I bit the bullet and bought 4, selling on my rear 2 P Zeros as part worn. To say its a different car with the change of tyres is a bit strong, but it feels a lot more planted in the wet now.

Capture6.JPG

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
Looks well.

Did all the black editions not come with black trim on the dash and a flat bottom steering wheel, as well as some extras like B&O as standard?

Nigelo

RMS Regular
That was a total result with regards to the oil consumption - don't think many would have 4k in change down the back of the sofa.

Still a fresh looking car today, they look particularly well in white.

lee2050

RMS Regular
OP
lee2050
Drives
Cayenne
Looks well.

Did all the black editions not come with black trim on the dash and a flat bottom steering wheel, as well as some extras like B&O as standard?

In short, no. There was a slight facelift in 2012 where they added the flat bottom steering wheels and some additional aluminium trims around the heater controls. The rest is pretty much identical with piano black trim on the door cards and around the centre console - newer ones had an optional black around the dials and screen.

Edit - yes B&O as standard in all Black Editions.

media.jpg

A5MarchDetail201214.jpg

Odhran

RMS Regular
Drives
A5 Sportback
Lovely car. Funnily enough the reg is quite similar to my old A5 Sportback also RE11 HNX. Result too about Audi Belfast, refreshing to hear a good news story about a car dealership. Are the parts different from the original ie will it not happen again or is there a chance it could? Was there an extended warranty on the car or was it done in goodwill?

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
Ah, that must have been the difference.

I had a 2013 one and it was all piano black trim inside and came with heated leather, B&O sound pack and comfort pack.

it was a great car, loved it.

lee2050

RMS Regular
OP
lee2050
Drives
Cayenne
That was a total result with regards to the oil consumption - don't think many would have 4k in change down the back of the sofa.

Still a fresh looking car today, they look particularly well in white.

Yea, chuffed with it to be honest. Audi Belfast couldn't have been any more helpful and the whole things was hassle free. Nice to get a complete health check on the car as part of the update and for it to get the all clear :grinning:

lee2050

RMS Regular
OP
lee2050
Drives
Cayenne
Lovely car. Funnily enough the reg is quite similar to my old A5 Sportback also RE11 HNX. Result too about Audi Belfast, refreshing to hear a good news story about a car dealership. Are the parts different from the original ie will it not happen again or is there a chance it could? Was there an extended warranty on the car or was it done in goodwill?

Yes, it actually has made me start using them for other things and I haven't been disappointed yet. Even standard services are a pleasure with complementary lifts and car collection to make life easier. Not bad considering all the cost of a service!

In terms of the parts, they are updated parts that stop the problem happening again. Audi have acknowledged that there was a flaw in the design of the piston rings, allowing some oil to seep. There is a good "grey" statement on their site after some owners complained to Watchdog about the same problem: Audi UK / BBC Watchdog / Oil Consumption – June 2015

I didn't have an extended warranty at the time of complaint.

lee2050

RMS Regular
OP
lee2050
Drives
Cayenne
Ah, that must have been the difference.

I had a 2013 one and it was all piano black trim inside and came with heated leather, B&O sound pack and comfort pack.

it was a great car, loved it.

They really are a great car and surprisingly affordable too - the B&O system is the best of any car I've owned to be honest. Running costs have been minimal and a £139 service is hard to beat!

lee2050

RMS Regular
OP
lee2050
Drives
Cayenne
Price reduced and sensible offers considered. Forgot what a ball ache selling a car privately can be. Waited in for over 3 hours for a guy to not turn up last night :worried:

lee2050

RMS Regular
OP
lee2050
Drives
Cayenne
Car is now sold and the new owner collected it last night, final mileage reading at 32,774. 13k miles in 2 years of ownership. Genuinely sad to see this one go, a really great car and wouldn't hesitate to buy another A5.

A few final pictures to complete the thread:

The reason for the sale :grinning:

final1.JPG

Obligatory MOT shot:
final3.JPG

Final coast road run:
final2.JPG

15 minutes before collection:
final5.JPG

Now, what's next? :laughing:

Bilal

RMS Regular
Drives
Tesla Y
Love these cars in 3 dr hard and soft top, haha back seats seem bit cramped if you got a full car of people. Hope you got a nice replacement :laughing:

Smick

RMS Regular
Drives
CLA45
Blast from the past.... It's cureently sitting in Stranmillis car park if you are wondering where it got too @lee2050

lee2050

RMS Regular
OP
lee2050
Drives
Cayenne
Blast from the past.... It's cureently sitting in Stranmillis car park if you are wondering where it got too @lee2050

Just seeing this now! I know the current owner, still looks great for an 8 year old car! It's about to be traded for a M140i :grinning: