ABS,Traction lights on after lowering springs?

LeoL

Drives
vw scirocco
Hi
I just recently got H&R lowering springs fitted onto my car, and now my ABS and traction lights are on, anybody know whats wrong with it? And also after the fitting my calipers is constantly grinding against the rotor is it because the car hasnt been aligned yet or what? Please any help would be great thanks!

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Neither should have anything to do with alignment. The ABS/TC sounds like a wire has been left unplugged or damaged. The caliper and disc are mounted (normally) to the hub so again should be unaffected by lowering. Was the surface of the hub cleaned correctly before fitting the disc?

What car is it? Did you fit new calipers?

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
If the tracking is way off because of fitting the new springs then that can cause the lights to come on due to the steering angle sensor. Its unlikely that it would be so far out after changing springs though. Did you get new track rod ends or anything at the same time?
However I would say the likely culprit is the actual sensor being damaged as the other two lads have stated.

dervsport

RMS Regular
Someone has damaged the ABS wiring/sensor when fitting the springs
The “grinding” is the abs kicking in

ABS won't be grinding if the light is on as it won't be operational. Also it wouldn't grind constantly. More than likely the back plate is fouling the brake disc as people tend to damage them when hammering on the hub to free the shock.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
ABS won't be grinding if the light is on as it won't be operational. Also it wouldn't grind constantly. More than likely the back plate is fouling the brake disc as people tend to damage them when hammering on the hub to free the shock.

I'd disagree with that.
My e46 had constant wheel speed sensor issues. If the ABS/ TSC lights were on then I would get intermittent grinding from the abs randomly kicking in.
Still worth checking that it isnt physically catching.

Broomy

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk5 GTi
Happened me on my Astra h years ago & turned out the abs sensor wire had been chaffed during fitting causing the lights to come on in the wet.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
take it back to who fitted the springs or get someone with half a brain cell to check over for you, id be more worried if they have damaged abs and its grinding what else isn't right....

LeoL

OP
L
Drives
vw scirocco
Hi sorry i forgot to mention the car is a VW scirocco. I took off the front 2 wheels there and when i went to shake the rotor it is loose, is that why maybe its grinding on the brakes? I also inspected the wheel bearing bolt/nut or whatever it is, and that is also loose, i dont think its normal to loosen that iwth just my fingers?

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Hi sorry i forgot to mention the car is a VW scirocco. I took off the front 2 wheels there and when i went to shake the rotor brake disc it is loose, is that why maybe its grinding on the brakes? I also inspected the wheel bearing bolt/nut or whatever it is, and that is also loose, i dont think its normal to loosen that iwth just my fingers?

Brake disc shouldn't matter as when you fit the wheel the studs/ bolts/ nuts will tighten it back up again.
The wee screw that holds the brake disc to the hub is really only to stop the disc spinning when putting the wheel back on.

I would be seriously concerend if the hub nut is loose though!
That would definitely flag up a warning to a sensor!

mcmurray

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Hi sorry i forgot to mention the car is a VW scirocco. I took off the front 2 wheels there and when i went to shake the rotor it is loose, is that why maybe its grinding on the brakes? I also inspected the wheel bearing bolt/nut or whatever it is, and that is also loose, i dont think its normal to loosen that iwth just my fingers?

The disc will move if there's no disc retaining screws when you take the wheel off. Wheel will clamp the disc in place against the hub when torqued up. Wouldn't worry too much about that.

You shouldn't be able to loosen a driveshaft/hub nut by hand though.

LeoL

OP
L
Drives
vw scirocco
the disc isnt spinning tho, it wiggles, and when i have the wheels back on the car, I shake it back and forth and theres play in it, you can clearly see the disc moving with it.
You can literally shake the car from the front if you push on the fenders

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
the disc isnt spinning tho, it wiggles, and when i have the wheels back on the car, I shake it back and forth and theres play in it, you can clearly see the disc moving with it.
You can literally shake the car from the front if you push on the fenders
where bouts are you based?
from what your describing I wouldn't be driving the car until you get someone to look at it

LeoL

OP
L
Drives
vw scirocco
Here in Belfast
Yeah car is parked and wont be touched until Monday. Would throwing on 18" wheels also play a part in all of this along with the springs? Pretty sure during the spring installation some bolts or whatever wasn't checked properly.

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
Stick up a video of the disc moving. Sounds interesting esp if the wheel isn't moving with it

LeoL

OP
L
Drives
vw scirocco
litttle update, Ive had someone take a look at the car and tightned the bolt/nut, a short drive, ABS and traction lights are off... the issue now is that the brake pads or something is still grinding on the rotor, the guy checked it and couldnt see anything, said it could just be the pad wear or something and will disappear after awhile, but having driven the car for 5-10mins its chewing up the disc. any ideas?

LeoL

OP
L
Drives
vw scirocco
Yes they are hubcentric, it came with a fitting kit. and yes the longer bolts were supplies and thats what is used currently. Sorry Im not very familiar with this kind of stuff, first time ever doing this to a car :sob:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Yes they are hubcentric, it came with a fitting kit. and yes the longer bolts were supplies and thats what is used currently. Sorry Im not very familiar with this kind of stuff, first time ever doing this to a car :sob:

Sounds like it's the first time your "mechanic" has worked on a car too.

Get it somewhere competent, and have everything that they worked on inspected properly, as it sounds potentially dangerous at the minute

LeoL

OP
L
Drives
vw scirocco
66C89010-51E0-4F7E-AEB4-DB61BB1B5114.jpeg
8E8DCD3F-23EA-4D01-B8DE-00135A050B39.jpeg

Theres a few pics of the front right disc. Its the same on the other side

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
I would have said a stone or a bit of metal has been caught between disc and pad but given both sides are the same I'd say whoever did the springs had calipers off and haven't refitted correctly.
Get someone to strip that down again. Disc off, loosen and retighten hub nut with no weight on it. Clean mating surface of the hub where the disc sits. Refit disc, refit calipers and hopefully that should sort it.