Accommodation in Scotland

Slimsbikers

RMS Regular
Drives
S1000xr
Hi all.Thinking of doing the west coast of Scotland with the Mrs on the bike next week.Probably going to stay 2 or 3 nights.Looking at going out on the 11.30am sailing and getting a few miles in before stopping for the evening.Any recommendations for accommodation a couple of hours up from the boat for the first night? And further on for the following nights?Thanks.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
A couple of hours off the boat, I'd be staying around Largs or some of the other coastal towns rather than following the A77 inland to Glasgow. In fact, the next time I go, I want to take the ferry across to Cambeltown and follow the coast up to Oban and Fort William etc.

We stayed in and would recommend the following:
Old Pier House in Fort Agustus, so much character and a stunning location. Home at the Old Pier House
Westlea House in Ullapool, lovely rooms and great character and good service. Westlea - Home
The John O'Goats Apartments right beside the signpost, sounds like a nightmare but it was class for 2 nights. John O'Groats Hotel & Lodges | Self Catering | Together Travel

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Do the heartlands and some of the highlands, much more dramatic. Oban, fortwilliam etc are VERY touristy. Head via Glasgow, Crieff, through the sma glen, Aberfeldy (do Glen lyon amd Pitlochry is picturesque but a little touristy), Kenmore, Killin, Tindrum and out to aviemore - take in rannoch Moor on the way back. Much better than being stuck in the coastal towns with the British tourists

smb1

RMS Regular
Drives
golf gti
we 'do ' Scotland every year, always up the west coast,been to john'o groats,wouldn't go back ,over rated,if yer wantin somewhere handy to boat check out arrochar hotel ,clean , not expensive an good parking for bike,inverrary up to oban's a nice run,accomodation can be hard to get at a decent price in oban though

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Do the heartlands and some of the highlands, much more dramatic. Oban, fortwilliam etc are VERY touristy. Head via Glasgow, Crieff, through the sma glen, Aberfeldy (do Glen lyon amd Pitlochry is picturesque but a little touristy), Kenmore, Killin, Tindrum and out to aviemore - take in rannoch Moor on the way back. Much better than being stuck in the coastal towns with the British tourists
Lol sma’ glen and all those backroads Around Crieff were my racetrack back in the day. Went to school in Crieff and stayed in Methven.

Simon83

RMS Regular
Went over Dukes Pass between Aberfoyle and Brig o Truk at the weekend. The wife referred to it like being on a roller coaster. I would loved to have done it in something light and quick not the Tiguan loaded full of crap.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Dukes pass is a brilliant road, also would love to go back and do it in something a bit better than a Freelander ffs. A mate from Paisley uses it as his Sunday ride out favourite.

Slimsbikers

RMS Regular
OP
S
Drives
S1000xr
Slight change of plan.Now going to stay a few nights in the one place and use it as a base to tour around.Looking to stay somewhere with a good selection of bars and restaurants.Like a good sized town as opposed to a city.Any suggestions?

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
Slight change of plan.Now going to stay a few nights in the one place and use it as a base to tour around.Looking to stay somewhere with a good selection of bars and restaurants.Like a good sized town as opposed to a city.Any suggestions?
Id look at Crieff, pretty central and some stunning places not far away at all. Perth is very central and decent about of bars/ restaurants. Good access to highlands as well.

FrancissJord

Drives
BMW
Scotland has a vibrant history and is full of benevolent people. Too bad you couldn't stay longer. For at least a week, you would be able to visit their extraordinary museums and visit Bakehouse restaurant. I visited Scotland this summer and was impressed by its architecture, cathedrals, castles. All very well kept with a history behind it. I was lucky enough to stay more than a week and discover these beauties on two wheels. Thanks to the beginner guide to motorcycle hire, I went by motorcycle. I found out before that, and when I got to the airport, the first thing I did was rent a bike.

Stebo

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 110
I've a trip to Scotland booked for 21st to 24th. Heading up the West coast as far as Applecross (Bealach na ba), then slightly different route back down

Staying In Woodlands (fancy glamping type cabin) in Glencoe, then Marmalade Hotel in Isle of Sky then Barcaldine Castle in Oben.

*** Edit, just seen this was from Aug. Aw well :relieved:

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Be mindful that the Applecross Inn sometimes only takes in locals if you are expecting dinner/a pint

I would recommend joining the NC500 facebook page for insights and updates @Stebo

Stebo

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 110
Be mindful that the Applecross Inn sometimes only takes in locals if you are expecting dinner/a pint

I would recommend joining the NC500 facebook page for insights and updates @Stebo
Thanks for that. Really only going there to do the Bealach na ba, and then back across it to get to Skye that evening. Good to know though.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Id look at Crieff, pretty central and some stunning places not far away at all. Perth is very central and decent about of bars/ restaurants. Good access to highlands as well.

This. Avoid all the over touristed places like the trossachs and the North Coast route(s) - Perth and Kinross is probably one of the most stunning places on earth

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Dunkeld to Crieff is a class road - Top Gear named it in one of their top ten UK roads