advantages of a central groove in brake pads?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

pablo

RMS Moderator
some brake pads (performance ones) come with a groove up the middle like this:

84560d1227766765-fs-ferodo-ds2500-pads-996tt-dsc02811.jpg

whats the advantage of this? Ive got a new set of performance friction pads and they dont have this groove, would it be advantageous to add one?

cheers.

407_hdi

RMS Regular
Drives
E-Class / Z4
I did a google on this and it just appears to be a wear indicator - when the pads are flat - change 'em out

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
I thought it stopped the pad from breaking up as they are reasonably large pads and Im sure they flex.

more to it than a wear indicator Id be sure as you cant see it.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
found this:

A slot that is ground down into the pad usually in the center is used to prevent cracking, reduce tangential stiffness, reduce fade, and clean corrosion off the rotor.

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
As said about its to prevent cracking.

IIRC the likes of AP CP5555 6 pots have 2 grooves in each pad, one slot to divide each piston.

They DS2500s pablo?

*edit*

Should really look at the pics more closely, shouldn't i? :p

They are great road/track pads:grinning:

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
i'm certain a lot of grpN cars in the mainland use PF pads ?

There is quite a wide range of the DS pads, so they probably do use them.

I've had EBC Greenstuff for a 1.2 Corsa, they had a groove, so it's obviously not a performance thing. :grinning:

I'd guess a 1.2 corsa pad is quite a bit smaller than an M3 one lol. So probably no need for it on them.

Bibby

RMS Regular
Drives
Holden Omega Ute
it's to stop the pad material from splittng away from the backing, it's there and stops this by allowing the heat to dissipate easier meaning the brake lining does not warp, and crack the glue, or pad material and split apart!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.