Adventure Bikes

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Talk to me about these things. Do we have places to go off road on these over here?

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Portstewart promenade seems to be a popular spot for them.
There's a handful of unpaved public tracks in Tyrone but nothing that would warrant an "adventure".

redxl77

RMS Regular
I'm definitely keen to get a bike licence one day then do some travelling with an adventure bike :heart_eyes:

But as for here, things just aren't the same as the continent/further afield. Different legislation with permissions, less wilderness etc.

Closest thing I can think of are forestry tracks?

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Your not allowed on forestry paths. Our local ones had signs up recently saying ring 101 if motorbikes were on them. The signs didn’t last long. They’ve put boulders and stuff in to try and stop them.

ALN

RMS Regular
OP
ALN
Drives
Clio 182
I'm definitely keen to get a bike licence one day then do some travelling with an adventure bike :heart_eyes:

But as for here, things just aren't the same as the continent/further afield. Different legislation with permissions, less wilderness etc.

Closest thing I can think of are forestry tracks?
Was in chatting to a lad in BMW Motorrad today and that is basically what he was saying about laws here and that Scotland for example is much more lax. You can still get places but you just need to be in the know

redxl77

RMS Regular
Your not allowed on forestry paths. Our local ones had signs up recently saying ring 101 if motorbikes were on them. The signs didn’t last long. They’ve put boulders and stuff in to try and stop them.

Makes sense, no offence to anyone but doesn't take too many yobs on scramblers or quads to cause issues.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Makes sense, no offence to anyone but doesn't take too many yobs on scramblers or quads to cause issues.
Doesn’t stop them to be fair. I don’t know if they still are but there were fellas cutting up the mountain bike trails on scramblers.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Sod all here for offroad riding on motorcycles. As @Apis says, the smooth paved roads to the port or to Ballycastle are where many of them live

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
There's a hill forest near me where we go for a walk on a Sunday. Had a few guys with enduro bikes, mostly mature sensible types, they slow right down and give us space and a wave, no problem. (unlike most of the a-hole mountain bikers who would run you over ) But it doesn't take long for the place to get discovered by the riff raff and now it's getting very scruffy where they go in off the road; fences tramped down and so on.
Difference here is we don't have the green lanes and very few public right of ways like they do in England.

ALN

RMS Regular
OP
ALN
Drives
Clio 182
Assume you could go for a rip up a down the beaches here that cars can go on? That would be good craic too

aaron_dp

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon
What bike/bikes were you thinking about @Alemsee ? I've been thinking about a GS or an Africa Twin just for something a bit different to my Z1000SX but not sure how I'd get on with a taller bike

ALN

RMS Regular
OP
ALN
Drives
Clio 182
What bike/bikes were you thinking about @Alemsee ? I've been thinking about a GS or an Africa Twin just for something a bit different to my Z1000SX but not sure how I'd get on with a taller bike
I had been looking at a 310gs. Fancied something light and fun that you can go fairly flat out on. 750gs isn't a whole lot more money either.

I quite like the looks as well but seems a bit pointless as can't really adventure it over here it seems.

aaron_dp

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon
Yeah, be a different story if you had access to some land to use it on properly. My mates had enduro bikes and would have brought them to disused quarries and the like but they said it got repetitive so sold them and just use their road bikes now

ALN

RMS Regular
OP
ALN
Drives
Clio 182
Over in England you can do greenlaning or whatever it's called which looks class craic. I'm still keen to test ride some smaller and lighter bikes to see it they are more what I'm after.

Lee

RMS Regular

Depends what kind of rider you are too. The Z1000SX would be nice and direct with a sporty feel and quick with 140 hp. I've ridden an Africa Twin and while they are probably a good bike for their purpose, they are VERY civilised, totally upright and won't set your world on fire. I've actually never ridden a GS but they'd be slightly more engaging I think, and quicker.

I bought a Triumph Tiger last year, didn't really get on with it. Too tall for me (5ft 7ish) too top heavy, not exciting.

Captain Starlet

RMS Regular
Drives
S2000
Have you considered a KTM690 or Husqvarna 701, I had the KTM 690 SMC-R and my dad still has the 701 Enduro, both are fantastic and amazing fun to ride.

My 690 SMC-R felt quick, fun, really light and nimble too, however when I jumped from the fireblade on it, it just felt dead. It would be fine if it was your only bike though, i went a few months without taking the fireblade out.