Advice on LED light bars

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I've searched here and found a references to light bars here and there but not a full thread.
I'm thinking about one on the front, probably mounted behind the grille to keep it neater looking. The grille is a very open design, more like a big slot with a few thin bars. I like the idea of spot beam in the middle and flood at each end. Maybe around 12 to 20" in total.

I'm guessing they all need to turn on and off with the mains, or can you get ones that ok with the dips? (not low height/fogs)
I see LEDs aux lights and bars being used with dips on trucks and motorcycles but not really sure what the deal is regarding legalities; does it just depend on height off the ground or beam pattern or what?

Are there any particular brand names or are the cheap ones usually ok?
thanks

Ollie

RMS Regular
Search "wowLED" on ebay. I've has good luck with their light bars and work lamps. Think you can get them with a wiring loom and relay.

I had mine wired into the main beam and a switch to keep it off.

IMG_5549.JPG

IMG_5554.JPG

IMG_5551.JPG

Last edited:

zafturbo

RMS Regular
I put a 4ft one on a wee rigid last month and have been driving it myself a lot lately and it is outstanding .its only wired to full beam though .The light from it is fantastic.

j44nty

RMS Regular
You will get everything you need to know out of the last few pages of my thread including wiring diagrams
The light output I have is as close to daytime I have seen.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Be sure to use a relay when installing the light bar, regardless of what size you go for. Taking the power directly off the full beam loom is asking for trouble and possibly a fire, especially on modern cars vehicles.

Plenty of different bars available and the prices are all over the place, but you can get bars which offer low and high beam output too. Not sure on the legalities of running 1 with the low beam, so adding a switch to disable the light bar for town driving and the likes would be advisable.

Apis

RMS Regular
OP
Apis
Drives
various
You will get everything you need to know out of the last few pages of my thread including wiring diagrams
The light output I have is as close to daytime I have seen.
LOve the second 3 bar test video. the difference is amazing,

I've been watching some of the trucks and diggers working morning and night on the A6, which got me thinking about how good a light bar would be.

I'll be going to add a small one for extra reverse lamp; probably something beside the towbar or just under the bumper. The car is a PHEV outlander and people keep wandering behind me when I reverse because thy don't see/hear me coming. I got a mouthful of abuse from some halfwit who walked into the back side corner.
Might add a beeper bulb to the reverse light as well because happened a few times now.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Love a wee DRL. Mines on permanent with ignition, been MOT'd as such and no issues

ShaunB

RMS Regular
Some rootbag in a small white van(Crawfordsburn direction) has a light bar fitted.
He was blinding everyone with it early this morning, are these things even legal?

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Some rootbag in a small white van(Crawfordsburn direction) has a light bar fitted.
He was blinding everyone with it early this morning, are these things even legal?

No regulation on full beam. It’s just tested for function as opposed to pitch, pattern and output power.

If he had it on in a town or with his low beam, then yes, he’s a “rootbag”... lol

ShaunB

RMS Regular
He was travelling on the Crawfordsburn road towards Bangor this morning with it on - 6.40am.
Seen the same van several times now on the Crawfordsburn road heading towards Ballyrobert with it on.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
As Ollie mentioned, wowled are a cheap Chinese brand, but I've had mine 4 years now and it hasn't missed a beat.

Positioning is important if you want a bar with any flood. If it's too low you will end up with a counter productive bright spot just in front of the car that reduces your definition further down the road.

If your dipped beams are decent, then the preference is for a spot only bar to throw night down the road.

I actually bought a second bar and canniballised it to change mine from a spot floor combo to all spot.

At 10 degrees they still throw a decent spread.

Roads with lots of dips are my cars Achilles heel in regards to lighting, because my bar is mounted low in the grill.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Ive fitted a 36" Mictuning lightbar to the front of my e60 just below the numberplate.
It aint exactly subtle and I am surprised I haven't made it into the sniff thread yet lol

But it is excellent!
Its currently just run off the supplied switch but I will splice into the main beam wiring eventually as a trigger wire.
Main beam is now rendered useless so I don't bother even using it. I just switch the lightbar on and off like you would main beam.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Ive fitted a 36" Mictuning lightbar to the front of my e60 just below the numberplate.
It aint exactly subtle and I am surprised I haven't made it into the sniff thread yet lol

But it is excellent!
Its currently just run off the supplied switch but I will splice into the main beam wiring eventually as a trigger wire.
Main beam is now rendered useless so I don't bother even using it. I just switch the lightbar on and off like you would main beam.

I have the flyeye stuff over my lightbar now, so that it doesn't get noticed as much.

I am still wary of flashing the police out of junctions etc, but so far they have all been fine.

Also, mine has passed 2 MOTs, so doesn't seem to be an issue legally.

I think it might be an issue if its sticking out and could cause further injuries to a pedestrian in a collision though

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3

But it is excellent!

Got any pics?

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Got any pics?

Absolutely not! :joy:
I have the flyeye stuff over my lightbar now, so that it doesn't get noticed as much.

I am still wary of flashing the police out of junctions etc, but so far they have all been fine.

I think it might be an issue if its sticking out and could cause further injuries to a pedestrian in a collision though
Ill have to look this flyeye stuff up.
I had considered a light tint to take the "in yer face" look off it but then thought whats the point in reducing the light output . Would completely negate the reasons for doing it!

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
I had a light bar on my caddy for about 2 years.

the light was awesome, and it passed all MOTs etc with never any word about it.

Worked on main beam only, and no override switch

j44nty

RMS Regular

I hear ya 😂

00032700-A9E4-4E3D-B691-1D3BEBC05A36.jpeg

105C9772-99BB-4286-811D-05FDF4EB2B40.jpeg

3BBC34B9-1DDA-47C2-A697-97B5BA542621.jpeg

978B1172-EE2E-4AC1-9952-5175C49B817F.jpeg

joking aside you just cantbe bad to the light output it’s another level.

Full beam
600660FA-3521-4C8A-8FC9-FBE53A33CFFE.jpeg

Death rays on
7D53D23F-FAE2-4D6C-B951-763B9491F7F7.jpeg

Bryan

RMS Regular

zafturbo

RMS Regular
This is maybe a daft question but is there any way a lightbar could be loosing its brightness .its 100% not that we are getting used to it as things on our road was visible before isnt now.looking at it it’s still bright and all led are working it honestly looks to be about 50% of what it was.