Advice on 'not up-to-date with your vehicle tax' (V11) last chance warning letter

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Überdub

RMS Regular
Drives
Saab VW French
I've screwed up a bit on a car that has caused me some headaches.

Have a car but didn't get a registration document when I bought it. It hasn't been on the road for months as there is some necessary work being done but it was taxed and insured still up until two months ago and not SORNed. I didn't get a reminder for tax - presumably because I don't hold a registration document for it - although I taxed online when I bough it so they should have all the keeper details.

I've just got an email giving me 14 days to pay back tax owing, which links to the DVLA site, where you can add personal details address / card/payment details etc. but obviously the car will be out of MOT now and will need re-tested when it's ready to hit the road.

Should I just pax the back tax requested online and then apply for the registration document - which I should have sorted before now (!) - or will this open up a 'no MOT' can of worms? On the site it says "The application will be reviewed manually by our team and approved once all the provided details are verified".

Maybe I'd be better to phone them and explain that the car has been laid up for ages, still with tax and insurance and that I didn't SORN it and reclaim tax, as I expected it to be ready before now, SORNing it with them over the phone? Maybe they wouldn't chase up the back tax?

Doesn't seem much point in paying the back tax online if e.g. they are only going to contact me to tell me they've invalidated it because the MOT has expired.

Anyone had a last chance to tax V11 on an expired MOT car able to share any light on this? Thanks.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.