Alfa 159 Ti Sportwagon - 1750Tbi

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
Well after being less than impressed with the 2015 Audi A4 Allroad, and with my Saab 9.3 Aero moved on to my mechanic friend, I decided that I needed an interesting family car/dog hauler again. Initially I was looking a big 4x4s and had my mind made up that I wanted an E70 X5, but for some reason I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Then in a moment of clarity and sensibleness I started searching for an Alfa 159 wagon.

I've always loved the shape of these cars and the way the body sits so taut along with the fact it's not a 3 series or an Audi! I remembered having a 159 saloon as a rental car about 10 years ago while working in England and being impressed back then, so by now the rose tinted spectacles had come down. Yes I spent several late nights searching all the usual websites over and over for a nice Ti spec economical diesel. I really wanted a Qtronic auto Ti, but I knew that would be a very rare thing so compromises may be required.

Then I came across a lovely late 2.0 Jtd Ti in red with tan seats. Fantastic I thought, it's just like a Ferrari. I made contact with the dealer and he came back with a good price. I thought about it overnight and he emailed me a bunch of photos. Next morning I knew that was the car for me. So I logged onto my computer and of course I did a quick search to check if any other Ti's had come up for sale in the 5 hours since I went to bed. Lo and behold Google sent me off to the Alfa Romeo Owners Club classifieds page where there was a black 1750 Tbi engined Ti wagon listed for sale. And that was that. I had to have it no matter what!

Some quick research revealed that only 60 Tbi engined wagons in Ti spec ever came into the UK. The rarity meant second hand prices were still quite high compared to the equivalent dervs but this one wasn't too bad, and it had lower miles than the diesels, and must be one of the last ones made, so my man maths justified it. One phone call to the chap who was clearly an Alfa fanatic and I was putting a deposit on the car. Half an hour later I had every invoice from day one sitting scanned in my inbox. Next step, flight booked and off I go on Saturday past. Flying over England it looked like a perfectly sunny day, until I landed in Birmingham and it was bucketing. Guy meets me. He exists. Success so far I guess! At least I haven't been scammed out of a deposit. Off to the car park we head, and there is a slightly dirty black 159 waiting patiently to woo it's new owner. He drives me back to his house and everything feels nice and solid and refined. He seems a decent chap. The rain is torrential at this stage. We get to his house. I now have 25 mins before I need to leave to make the fast ferry home... The deal is done. I haven't driven it or even walked round it to examine it. I'm an idiot from Ireland buying an Alfa Romeo, un-driven in the rain.

Off I head with a packet of smoky bacon, a Boost and my phone set to sat nav. Holyhead eta - 20 minutes after the ferry. Damn. Up the motorway, chocabloc. Rain, temporary speed limits in place. Awe man, this is hateful. Eventually the roads cleared a bit once I got off the motorway and towards North Wales the pace was increased somewhat let's just say. I was becoming quite impressed with the 159 at this stage. It felt well planted and secure on its 19" Continentals and it certainly went well enough for a 1.8 engine. Light, nimble handling. Weighty, feelsome steering, tight, precise and short gear-change. Comfy heated seats, nice seating position. Great sounding Bose stereo. And it's a compact kind of a size of car, not a big fat hulk of a vehicle. This is definitely my kind of car I thought. I like this a lot.

The ETA on the sat nav is slowly falling as I eat away at the chasm of time that would mean me making it home in time for supper, rather than suffering the slow boat at 3am. Come on girl, you can do it I urged as I noticed a black BMW approach in my rear view mirror. Round a bend we go, and dammit. A caravan. Really. The 4 pot Brembos are pretty effective. I'm pretty sure I shouted out loud at the thought of losing all my recently gained time. Anyway he kept plodding on at 50 and pretty soon an overtaking lane appeared - into the 3rd, foot floored and off we wheeze up the outside of MrCaravanMan. (Did I mention it sounds a really crap despite having twin exhausts?!) Oh, and the black beemer you ask, well he isn't up my ass. In fact I'd nearly say he was just about keeping up. I think he got a shock, as did I to be fair, especially as I had a nearly full tank of Vpower and 2 spare rims and tyres in the boot that the last owner kindly gave me. He probably was in the wrong gear. Anyway, on we barrel through North Wales, and soon Mr430d peels off up the slip road at high speed to prove that his is bigger, and I smile quietly knowing mine is prettier. We make it to the boat. Phew, what a drive.

Down the ramp and into Dublin Port we go. Yeah tunnel time I think before remembering the exhaust note really is rubbish. It honestly sounds very similar to our Hotpoint washing machine on the spin and pump out cycle. So out into the light I cruise. I spot a Golf R cruising up quite quickly. The conversation in my head goes along the lines of "Oh, Red. Mmmm. Ooooh look at him with his fancy remapped indicators" I think to myself, before concluding that the actually they are quite cool, and certainly make you pay attention. Yes I'm talking to myself now... "Oh, NI plates too. I wonder is that Lyons from RMS?" I think... "well I'll just follow him for a bit as he seems to be doing a good job as sweeper. Guess it's the funky indicators scaring people in front out of the way. Ah look a wee clear patch.... holy sweet jesus bloody hell what the **** sort of Golf R is that?!!!"

Yes ladies and gentlemen. This leased legend probably wasn't a lease car after all. I honestly have never seen a hatchback accelerate with such savage ferocity as this thing. Mr IXZ red Golf R, respect to you Sir. Needless to say I tried to keep up lol. We kept in contact pushing all the way to Belfast and eventually hit red lights at the Westlink where we wound the windows down and said hello. Turns out I had just witnessed what 400bhp in a Golf looks like. I think the little Alfa might need some fettling to liberate a few more ponies. Alas, I'm nearly home, tired but happy with my purchase. We've bonded. I'm looking forward to my first Alfa relationship.

So here she is, just wiped over after getting home.

IMG_20170911_125045_976.jpg

PSX_20170913_175214.jpg

There's a few plans noted already. New wiper blades, wee ding out of drivers door, new badges to replace the faded ones, and a boot liner for catching the dog hair. I think I'll probably end up getting the front bumper painted at some point just to get rid of the road rash. For now though, I'm going to keep cleaning for a while yet. Thanks for dropping by.

CHARLIE11

RMS Regular
Drives
like a nutta
these are stunning, ive seen one of these knocking about Belfast on big wheels and lowered.

very nice (y)

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Yep, love these. Have kept a weather eye out for a tbi wagon for a while, they are a nice place to be. If the previous owner hasn't already done it, get the front undertray off it and check the subframe as they dont seem too well protected from rust. The body is great, its galvanised but the subframe not so much. If its good, get some cavity wax into it and even if its not so good, its a half hour job to drop it out so it can be blasted etc. Health to drive.

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
Loved reading the travel write up :grinning:

The car is absolutely awesome looking. I was expecting to see a tan leather interior, but that black leather/suede with red piping is so much nicer! Health to drive sir.

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
They are wonderful looking things. Keep an eye on the inside of your front tyres, they have questionable geometry from the factory and wear the fronts out quickly.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
That's a very left field choice, I didn't even know that engine was available in the 159, superb! Great write up too, enjoyed reading that Andy.