Alfa 159 Ti Sportwagon - 1750Tbi

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
@Brennan I've a Vauxhall gearbox, which doesn't have the most robust bearings apparently, but not prohibitively expensive to fix. The 1750 Tbi engine is an Alfa engine, largely the same as what is in the 4C and the Guilietta, albeit with a slightly smaller turbo for the 159.

Does it have the m32 or f40 gearbox?

If it's the latter, you should be grand.

Oh and it's a yes on the wheels from me!

Finally, can you tell me more about these machined bushes on the front arms? My sister has already raised front upper and control arms, she lives in the sticks goes through bushes and shocks on all her cars like they are found out of fashion.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
OP
andy9eleven
Drives
All broken
@roverspeed It's the M32 gearbox in this combo. But so far it appears perfectly fine. Will probably change gearbox oil this year just because.

It was these things here I replaced for the bottom arms, along with new droplinks. The drivers side bush had play in it. Everything else looked alright though. https://bit.ly/2S4VwMz

Coupled with the Eibach springs, and new tyres it rides great. Honestly feels tight as a drum now and no different to my previous new A4 despite this having 83k now.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
@roverspeed It's the M32 gearbox in this combo. But so far it appears perfectly fine. Will probably change gearbox oil this year just because.

It was these things here I replaced for the bottom arms, along with new droplinks. The drivers side bush had play in it. Everything else looked alright though. https://bit.ly/2S4VwMz

Coupled with the Eibach springs, and new tyres it rides great. Honestly feels tight as a drum now and no different to my previous new A4 despite this having 83k now.

Ahh, I see.

I went with a mate to test drive a really rough 159 1.9 diesel, I was literally worried about getting out it to the sellers house with the noise the gearbox was making in 3rd and 4th. Hopefully the smoother torque curve is kinder to them than the diesels.

My Insignia has an F40 thankfully.

Cheers, will have a look at those bushes.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
OP
andy9eleven
Drives
All broken
I spoke to Jonny Cargo Alfa Guy at JRC in Lisburn. Seemed au fait with sticking new bearings in if need be, so I’m not too worried. Mines nice and quiet atm!

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
OP
andy9eleven
Drives
All broken
@dave b Yeah a friend with a 159 recommended him to me. Have so far only talked to him on the phone but seems very decent. His father actually had a rare white Tbi 159 (recently sold). I doubt there’s many with this engine in this country.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
OP
andy9eleven
Drives
All broken
The dirty Italian.

9D0BCF18-02EA-4442-B74F-7B7B365562CA.jpeg

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
OP
andy9eleven
Drives
All broken
Thanks for the positive comments guys. I've toyed with changing it, but definitely think I'll stick with it for a while yet. I just can't help smiling when I'm in it or look at it. Quite looking forward to better weather to do some more wee jobs.