Alfa pasta bolognese 1750

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
The selespeed systems can give issues due to the interaction between the engine and gearbox control units. There were all sorts of problems on 147 and 156 selespeeds but it's rare to hear of issues on the guilietta/ bravo platform. Might be worth a visit to JRC in lisburn to see if he can do some basic checks that the dealer may not have thought of or are not in their workshop manuals...

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
Awe no!! Not what you want. Is it cutting out completely, or just jerky? I know my 1750 sometimes is a wee bit "unsmooth" when I leave my driveway cold, but I know the rear exhaust sensor is a bit dodgy as the light has thrown a code a couple of times. I haven't got round to changing it and the light is currently out but I have noticed this in the mornings recently.

I also know for a fact that I need new plugs and there's oil round mine as the rocker gasket isn't great. Again a new one is in my boot and I've not got round to changing it, but I'm thinking either of these may be contributing to my slight cold jitters.

Was yours serviced recently/before you got it?

bigpupcooper

RMS Regular
OP
bigpupcooper
Drives
m135i, m40i
Awe no!! Not what you want. Is it cutting out completely, or just jerky? I know my 1750 sometimes is a wee bit "unsmooth" when I leave my driveway cold, but I know the rear exhaust sensor is a bit dodgy as the light has thrown a code a couple of times. I haven't got round to changing it and the light is currently out but I have noticed this in the mornings recently.

I also know for a fact that I need new plugs and there's oil round mine as the rocker gasket isn't great. Again a new one is in my boot and I've not got round to changing it, but I'm thinking either of these may be contributing to my slight cold jitters.

Was yours serviced recently/before you got it?
Not responsive to the pedal and revs drop as if its going to stall, then pick up, then drop. Going back to the dealers tomorrow for a week..or maybe for good if its not sorted

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
Oh no. Don't get disheartened. It's a great looking wee car and anything can have problems as it sounds like you already know! We could all probably guess here til the cows come home, but fingers crossed for you. Maybe it just needs a good rake to clear it out!!

bigpupcooper

RMS Regular
OP
bigpupcooper
Drives
m135i, m40i
Underestimated little rockets.

In for a health check today? :grinning:
Yep, just dropped it in for a week for them to hopefully resolve the issue. Got a derv equivalent to replace it for that time. They plan to get the Italianios logged in to troubleshoot.
Do you work there?

bigpupcooper

RMS Regular
OP
bigpupcooper
Drives
m135i, m40i
flying bee for a week

IMG_0316.jpg

bigpupcooper

RMS Regular
OP
bigpupcooper
Drives
m135i, m40i
No fault found, after being driven by the dealer since last Friday. Alfa engineers unable to find the issue either. More likely that the software isnt logging it when the issue happens, and now since we are in spring, the car isnt getting very cold overnight. Had a 25 min call with the sales manager while i was in the states. May need to get some legal advice, as the manager basically wouldnt answer my questions on rejection of the car. @NeilMcG be getting a call.

Dashcam and links to forums with similar reports of the issue havent helped.

Watch this space.

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
No fault found, after being driven by the dealer since last Friday. Alfa engineers unable to find the issue either. More likely that the software isnt logging it when the issue happens, and now since we are in spring, the car isnt getting very cold overnight. Had a 25 min call with the sales manager while i was in the states. May need to get some legal advice, as the manager basically wouldnt answer my questions on rejection of the car. @NeilMcG be getting a call.

Dashcam and links to forums with similar reports of the issue havent helped.

Watch this space.

Sounds like a nightmare. Maybe he will be more helpful in person? Hope u get it sorted.

bigpupcooper

RMS Regular
OP
bigpupcooper
Drives
m135i, m40i
Sounds like a nightmare. Maybe he will be more helpful in person? Hope u get it sorted.
I very much doubt it. But let’s hope so. There’s nothing personal, just a car, and I’ll take another in the group. So not like I’m gonna walk away with the cash, likely I’ll be spending more

Last edited:

Phil_D

RMS Regular
Thankfully the dealer is going to accommodate a change. Thumbs up and all amicable in the end.

Shame you have to change but i'm glad the dealer has sorted things out their end....It drives me mad that the technicians in some dealers are not really mechanics, If a fault isn't logged in the ECU then there isn't a problem no matter what you say to the contrary !!!

I had an issue with an Audi Q5, the gearbox was leaking oil but not dropping it anywhere, you could smell burning gear oil a mile off. As anyone who has smelt burning gear oil will know it has a very distinctive smell. Unsurprisingly no fault codes logged so they said it was a DPF regen which clearly it wasn't, after much complaining they decided to change the heater blower motor (why i have no idea) but the smell persisted. I brought it back to them a few weeks later to be told it was a regen again, i insisted on taking one of the mechanics out for a test drive in it. He smelt the gear oil smell and said it was a regen, on the way back to the dealership the gearbox shat itself and had to be recovered for a full gearbox replacement under warranty. Not one word of an apology from them.

Last edited:

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Had similar experience with a Seat Alhambra a few years back. I could hear a faint gearbox bearing whine that apparently nobody at the dealers could until just after the warranty expired and so did the gearbox at 48k miles. They claimed not to have known that I had asked them about it until I showed them that it was noted on all the service receipts. Still took no responsibility and I ended up getting it fixed elsewhere. Not a big dealer fan tbh.
Your experience is disappointing but unfortunately very common.

bigpupcooper

RMS Regular
OP
bigpupcooper
Drives
m135i, m40i
That’s not good guys.

I was up today and going for a mk7 gti dsg as the replacement. Not as good looking but hopefully I have little to no issues. Really need to keep a car longer than a year. Alfa was under two months, ML merc was 9 months and the s3 saloon was 10 months. 😦

bigpupcooper

RMS Regular
OP
bigpupcooper
Drives
m135i, m40i
What was up with the merc and s3?
Merc had rust appearing on the bootlid and uner the bonnet. EML coming on to do with regen limits, Turbo started getting noisy, and id already ploughed money in to it.

S3 was reliable, but suddenly had quite a few stone chips appear, almost overnight, then the wife kerbed a rim and a week later some t**t dinged a door. It was too good a car for nursery runs i just threw the head up.. Jeezz... also forgot i had a q7..lol...