Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio

Phil_D

RMS Regular
OP
Phil_D
Did I see this on AG Automotives Insta Page Phil?

You did indeed mate, was in there a few months ago. Getting bumpers tidied up and paint matched (factory match is miles out on the plastics) same on all colours, also got the rear splitter sprayed gloss black. Fantastic job couldn’t recommend AG enough, his work is flawless.

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
You did indeed mate, was in there a few months ago. Getting bumpers tidied up and paint matched (factory match is miles out on the plastics) same on all colours, also got the rear splitter sprayed gloss black. Fantastic job couldn’t recommend AG enough, his work is flawless.

Finished looked great, standard for AG though. Car looked factory fresh afterwards ... nice touch mate

Phil_D

RMS Regular
OP
Phil_D
Finished looked great, standard for AG though. Car looked factory fresh afterwards ... nice touch mate

There are a fair few complaints on the forums in the states about the colour match, I was going to argue with Alfa about it but to be honest i could not be arsed with the hassle. God knows who they would send it to if they did stand over it so bit the bullet and brought it to Alan.. only seems to effect or is noticeable one the white, silver and red ones.

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
There are a fair few complaints on the forums in the states about the colour match, I was going to argue with Alfa about it but to be honest i could not be arsed with the hassle. God knows who they would send it to if they did stand over it so bit the bullet and brought it to Alan.. only seems to effect or is noticeable one the white, silver and red ones.

Fair play for getting it sorted and probably with the best painters in the game.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
It's not uncommon, remember when the Mk2 Focus RS came out and some of the colour matches on the bumpers etc were awful. IIRC, it was due to a combination of poor plastic prep and also the bumpers and other trim actually being painted at a different location to the car shell. I wonder if Alfa have the same issue?

It was even a problem on the latest Mk3 Focus RS, though worse on some cars than others. Something like below should have been rejected on pick up.

upload_2019-1-30_12-13-38.png

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
That's horrendous on a brand new car :eek: Anyone buying that would straight away assume it had had a bad repair job done, and they would be right!

Have seen some terrible paint jobs and panel gaps on Ferraris as well, it's like people don't care so the manufacturers just whack it all together as cheaply as possible...

I blame all the lease deals, lol :innocent:

Phil_D

RMS Regular
OP
Phil_D
It's not uncommon, remember when the Mk2 Focus RS came out and some of the colour matches on the bumpers etc were awful. IIRC, it was due to a combination of poor plastic prep and also the bumpers and other trim actually being painted at a different location to the car shell. I wonder if Alfa have the same issue?

It was even a problem on the latest Mk3 Focus RS, though worse on some cars than others. Something like below should have been rejected on pick up.

View attachment 223385

Bumpers are painted at a different location from what i understand, AG said the colours were significantly different, i didn't notice it until i took some photos and my eye was drawn to it immediately. They don't seem to be getting any better either, non QV in the states in Trofeo White, front and rear bumpers completely different.

alfa1.jpg

At least it was easy enough sorted, and from my point of view it hasn't detracted from the ownership experience, it drives like nothing else i have ever owned.

Last edited:

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Saw this in the tin today passing me in the opposite direction on the Hillhall Road. Looks fantastic with no front plate. Nice height with the springs too. Lovely. :cool:

Phil_D

RMS Regular
OP
Phil_D
Saw this in the tin today passing me in the opposite direction on the Hillhall Road. Looks fantastic with no front plate. Nice height with the springs too. Lovely. :cool:

Were you stuck in the traffic ?

300trophy

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
How long have you been getting away with no front plate Phil? It’s a good look :cool: and one I wouldn’t mind rocking aswell! :monkey:

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Aye, nearly made a break for it up one of the side roads but in the end it was only 10 minutes before I was moving again.

Phil_D

RMS Regular
OP
Phil_D
Interesting article from one of the engine designers..it has always been said that the Quadrifoglio engine was a Ferrari 154 design v8 with two cylinders dropped..apparently not...

“So the Quadrifoglio engine is not a FERRARI V8 with two cylinders removed, as reported by much of the motoring press.

According to Gianluca Picetti the engine was a totally new project that obviously benefited from the experience gained on the design of Ferrari F154 series engines. However, it shares some characteristics that he knew would work well: “In reality there are differences, starting with the crankshaft, which has cranks placed at 90 ° on the V8 while here they are at 120 °. So we couldn't just 'cut' a piece ... Clear having been an active part of the team that designed the V8 Ferrari, when I came here I didn't forget all my past! The starting specifications were shared with Ferrari to take advantage of past experiences and shorten costs and development times ". A completely understandable position from the perspective of a car manufacturer like Alfa Romeo that must make profits. "And then", adds Pivetti, "the 90 ° six-cylinder V-shaped configuration fits perfectly into Maserati history, which had used it on the Merak and then on the Biturbo and the Ghibli, which was also used on the track in the Ghibli Cup around the mid-1990s. And still in the 90s the Alfa Romeo used a V6 at 90 ° in the DTM championship. That said, the base is similar to that of the V8 enough to avoid having to revalidate the pipes and the water passages, exploiting known geometries, technologies and materials. Also because this engine was built in just 2 years: I was the first to be hired in this project, wanted by Sergio Marchionne himself and hired in May 2013. After a few months Philip Krief joined me, who is now technical director at Ferrari, and with him in July the core of a dozen technicians dedicated to motor and vehicle was created. In 2015 the engine was ready to be produced ".

"We started from the same configuration as the V6 of Formula 1. It is a V of 90 ° with three crank buttons on which three pairs of connecting rods are mounted side by side. In this way, unlike a 6-cylinder in line with equidistant ignitions of 120 ° there is a 'lame' burst order, at 90 ° -150 ° -90 ° and so on, with an order 1 vibration harmonic , 5. This configuration allows first of all to make a V6 shorter, and this is advantageous for the arrangement in the engine compartment, then each cylinder on each bank has regular bursts of 240 °, and this generates exactly equidistant phases of discharge inside the turbine . But this also satisfies another important project requirement, namely the deactivation of a three-cylinder bank to optimize consumption and emissions according to driving needs "

This is a translated extract from an article in Auto Tecnica magazine”

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Interesting article from one of the engine designers..it has always been said that the Quadrifoglio engine was a Ferrari 154 design v8 with two cylinders dropped..apparently not...

“So the Quadrifoglio engine is not a FERRARI V8 with two cylinders removed, as reported by much of the motoring press.

According to Gianluca Picetti the engine was a totally new project that obviously benefited from the experience gained on the design of Ferrari F154 series engines. However, it shares some characteristics that he knew would work well: “In reality there are differences, starting with the crankshaft, which has cranks placed at 90 ° on the V8 while here they are at 120 °. So we couldn't just 'cut' a piece ... Clear having been an active part of the team that designed the V8 Ferrari, when I came here I didn't forget all my past! The starting specifications were shared with Ferrari to take advantage of past experiences and shorten costs and development times ". A completely understandable position from the perspective of a car manufacturer like Alfa Romeo that must make profits. "And then", adds Pivetti, "the 90 ° six-cylinder V-shaped configuration fits perfectly into Maserati history, which had used it on the Merak and then on the Biturbo and the Ghibli, which was also used on the track in the Ghibli Cup around the mid-1990s. And still in the 90s the Alfa Romeo used a V6 at 90 ° in the DTM championship. That said, the base is similar to that of the V8 enough to avoid having to revalidate the pipes and the water passages, exploiting known geometries, technologies and materials. Also because this engine was built in just 2 years: I was the first to be hired in this project, wanted by Sergio Marchionne himself and hired in May 2013. After a few months Philip Krief joined me, who is now technical director at Ferrari, and with him in July the core of a dozen technicians dedicated to motor and vehicle was created. In 2015 the engine was ready to be produced ".

"We started from the same configuration as the V6 of Formula 1. It is a V of 90 ° with three crank buttons on which three pairs of connecting rods are mounted side by side. In this way, unlike a 6-cylinder in line with equidistant ignitions of 120 ° there is a 'lame' burst order, at 90 ° -150 ° -90 ° and so on, with an order 1 vibration harmonic , 5. This configuration allows first of all to make a V6 shorter, and this is advantageous for the arrangement in the engine compartment, then each cylinder on each bank has regular bursts of 240 °, and this generates exactly equidistant phases of discharge inside the turbine . But this also satisfies another important project requirement, namely the deactivation of a three-cylinder bank to optimize consumption and emissions according to driving needs "

This is a translated extract from an article in Auto Tecnica magazine”

I recall the hype behind the C6 RS6 being similar in that the press and dealer network advertised it as a twin turbo charged Lamborghini engine, when the only thing Lamborghini was the cylinder block, everything else was unique, but I think the hype of the more exotica components possibly helped sales.

I always wondered how they could take a Ferrari v8 and just reverse engineer it to be a V6 so simply, good to know they troubleshooted from the Ferrari engine but blueprinted a new design for themselves.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
These look amazing, can't wait to see them fitted.