Alfa Romeo MiTo - Rival to the mini

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Normski

RMS Regular
Drives
987 BoxsterS
Personally I love the look of this. Specs and price sound quite good too!

All info from Auto Express.

Can't get the pic from the back to open full size on the net at the minute so no point putting it up really small.

car_photo_1-1.jpg

Say ciao bella to Alfa Romeo’s new MINI rival. Thanks to inside information, we can exclusively reveal not only how the new car will look, but also what it will be called!

Alfa bosses considered the Junior and Furiosa badges for the forthcoming model, but sources tell us they’ve chosen MiTo. It is derived from two Italian cities: Milan, Alfa’s traditional home, and Turin (Torino), where owner Fiat is based. The MiTo uses Grande Punto underpinnings, but is inspired by the 8C Competizione, with slanted headlights and a shield-shaped grille.

However, its engine line-up promises to eclipse the Punto’s, thanks to a new 1.8-litre turbo motor delivering 180bhp. This will eventually be tuned to deliver as much as 230bhp. Other options include the Grande Punto’s 1.4 T-jet petrol and 1.9-litre diesel.

Development of the MiTo has been a painstaking process, as engineers bid to ensure it drives better than the MINI. As well as the three-door, there will be a five-door, while bosses are considering cabrio and estate versions.
The MiTo will debut officially at the Paris Motor Show in the autumn, and hit UK dealers early next year, with prices starting from £10,500.

At last week’s Geneva show, bosses also hinted a special model will be built to mark Alfa’s centenary in 2010. With replacements for the 147 and 166 already in the pipeline, that could see the new Duetto roadster get the green light.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
I'd have that over a Mini every day of the week....it looks fantastic! Front end is very like the 8C. (y)

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
(y)

I will have the 230bhp version, with nice Italian leather inside :grinning:

Styling looks lifted straight off a 147.

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
That looks fantastic, despite being the colour your poo would be after eating a whole packet of Werthers Originals.

Mel

RMS Regular
Drives
S3
What a cracker looking little car, much nicer than the new Mini.

ST Colin

RMS Regular
Drives
Czech Wagon
Something not quite right about that. Wheels look too big and close together in that image. Although we all know that's not what it'll look like in the flesh.

Spotted the new Fiat 500 last week, looks tidy. Would like an Abarth version though....

CarbonKa

RMS Regular
Drives
potential moneyp
abarth version of the 500 is due next year... big dirty turbo and all according to reports.

that alfa though....yes please!

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Seen 3 500's since yesterday, they are pretty cool looking on the road. They said on 5th Gear the Abarth was gonna be 150bhp? That'd be fun!

Rover Repair

RMS Regular
Drives
Rover's!
Even thought thats the auto express "render" thats still a pretty sweet looking car, interesting we motor, just make sure you marry an electrician before you buy one....

Taz007

RMS Regular
Drives
E92
reminds me of a 147 with the 8c face a little. i think it will be nice car when you see it around

Maranellohouse

RMS Regular
Drives
Italian
:laughing: Small observation. I've noticed since joining RMS more and more of you mellowing towards Italian cars.
When I posted up about the 500 most thought it ugly,, until they seen it then it's been a case of "hold on a minute, that's not half bad".

Now if I can just get some of you to drop that very outdated myth that the electrics are bad and they break down I would have a big smile on my face.

Oh and the Mito is another car that's based on the Grande Punto platform, so the handling and ride will be award winning considering the Vauxhall Corsa got COY for these points.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.