All New Volvo XC90 Excels

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
On the RMS Blog: Volvo to most people will mean a premium product, built to the highest standard possible with more safety than a padded cell whilst being built to last forever and cope on rugged terrain when required, especially the cross-country models as well as the XC range.

The latest offering from Volvo is the XC90, the range topper in regards to its size, capability and available spec. (Read the Full Article Here)

Read the Entire Article Here

Mark_C

RMS Regular
I think the new XC is absolutely superb, even if you aren't able to look past the maximum engine size being 2.0 (And in that case, they have that pretty nippy hybrid) its got to be the best premium SUV for families atm.

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
I absolutely LOVED this thing, and seen a new S90 last night on social media, WOW it is stunning too.

I am in a new Q7 this week and would most certainly have the Volvo over it for similar enough money

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
The S90 is a thing of utter beauty, as is the V90. Expecially on the 21's!

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Look at them! And specced to the balls, the V and S are both a shade under £50k.

Jonny

RMS Regular
They really look well. Saw a lovely black xc90 in dublin yesterday.

The s90 and v90 are class as well.

Conor

RMS Regular
Yup, would take one of those new XC90s over pretty much anything short of a Cayenne Turbo if I were looking for an SUV. I actually don't think photos do them justice. Seen a black one on what I assume were 21"s a couple of days ago and it was absolutely stunning.

Ciaran

RMS Regular
Drives
i3 REX
Wife fancies one to replace her current XC90 although I'll be waiting for another year or two until the second hand market kicks in.

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
Seen a couple of these in the flesh, they are awesome. The Mrs is already planning for one of these after the xc60 in a couple of years

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
I am reading the reviews from the RMS massive win great interest on here.

My Range Rover sport is due for changing in the next couple of months, and after looking at a lot of motors, the all new XC90 was very high up my list.

I have looked at a lot of different motors, from picking up a deal getting one of the last discovery 4s, to a new Q7, and even an SQ7 (but truth be told, I found the new Q7 as boring as sin.....)

I took the new R Design home for a 48 hour test drive, and absolutely loved it....... But, and for me this is a major factor, their engine choice is what is stopping me from buying one.

The R Design I had was their top of the range T8 hybrid, which mates a 320bhp petrol engine with an 90bhp electric motor, giving a combined 410bhp in performance mode.

410bhp should be blistering in most motors, and still reasonably quick I'm something as big as the XC90 but it certainly didn't feel it, nor drive like it.

And it returned 31mpg over the 2 days, which makes it less efficient and therefore less attractive than the diesel.

I took an extended test drive in the diesel and was disappointed with it. Perhaps I have been spoiled with my smooth V6 3lt in the Sport, but I found the 2lt working harder during most normal driving. I also tow once every couple of weeks a load over 2.5tonnes, and feel that for sure that would make it work really hard.

Even with the disappointment over the engine, I specced the R Design diesel with a few extras which I would need (towbar and air suspension) as well as a few desirable options, it took the price to a shade over £60k

£60k..... For a 2lt Volvo. If it was a bigger engine, I would have bought it. If it was a few ££££ cheaper I would have bought it, but I am finding it as hard to justify spending £60k on a 2lt Volvo (which I genuinely loved) as I am trying to justify an £8k jump in price from my 2014 RRS to the new 2017 model.

I am still torn with my decision as I now realise that my RRS has totally spoiled me, and is going to be a very difficult vehicle to replace.
The Volvo is just so so good, looks fantastic, has more space than you need. Can genuinely transport 7 adults in style and comfort and as @Graham has so eloquently described much better than I can, the level of trim, seats, technology etc makes my sport seem so so old, but I just cannot see past that 2lt 4cylinder derv engine.....

Am I being stupid?

Yes, I actually washed it before leaving it back!
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Suitable replacement?
image.jpeg

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
I am reading the reviews from the RMS massive win great interest on here.

My Range Rover sport is due for changing in the next couple of months, and after looking at a lot of motors, the all new XC90 was very high up my list.

I have looked at a lot of different motors, from picking up a deal getting one of the last discovery 4s, to a new Q7, and even an SQ7 (but truth be told, I found the new Q7 as boring as sin.....)

I took the new R Design home for a 48 hour test drive, and absolutely loved it....... But, and for me this is a major factor, their engine choice is what is stopping me from buying one.

The R Design I had was their top of the range T8 hybrid, which mates a 320bhp petrol engine with an 90bhp electric motor, giving a combined 410bhp in performance mode.

410bhp should be blistering in most motors, and still reasonably quick I'm something as big as the XC90 but it certainly didn't feel it, nor drive like it.

And it returned 31mpg over the 2 days, which makes it less efficient and therefore less attractive than the diesel.

I took an extended test drive in the diesel and was disappointed with it. Perhaps I have been spoiled with my smooth V6 3lt in the Sport, but I found the 2lt working harder during most normal driving. I also tow once every couple of weeks a load over 2.5tonnes, and feel that for sure that would make it work really hard.

Even with the disappointment over the engine, I specced the R Design diesel with a few extras which I would need (towbar and air suspension) as well as a few desirable options, it took the price to a shade over £60k

£60k..... For a 2lt Volvo. If it was a bigger engine, I would have bought it. If it was a few ££££ cheaper I would have bought it, but I am finding it as hard to justify spending £60k on a 2lt Volvo (which I genuinely loved) as I am trying to justify an £8k jump in price from my 2014 RRS to the new 2017 model.

I am still torn with my decision as I now realise that my RRS has totally spoiled me, and is going to be a very difficult vehicle to replace.
The Volvo is just so so good, looks fantastic, has more space than you need. Can genuinely transport 7 adults in style and comfort and as @Graham has so eloquently described much better than I can, the level of trim, seats, technology etc makes my sport seem so so old, but I just cannot see past that 2lt 4cylinder derv engine.....

Am I being stupid?

Yes, I actually washed it before leaving it back!
View attachment 124620

View attachment 124621

Suitable replacement?
View attachment 124622
I'd have the volvo personally, and you know I'm a big fan of land rover so that says a lot.

Be keen to see what you had on spec also, why did you spec air suspension out of interest

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
@Big Pimp a new disco would be right up your street surely? I really think they are going to be fantastic

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
I'd have the volvo personally, and you know I'm a big fan of land rover so that says a lot.

Be keen to see what you had on spec also, why did you spec air suspension out of interest

Air suspension for both towing, and comfort. The steel sprung one is good too, but towing heavy and I fear it would be trailing it rear like a dog with worms!

£61k to be precise....

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
You see the video they put out earlier ? Not hard to figure out how it looks
I've been following every thread and post on it. Think it's going to be fantastic, I really do.

Might hold onto the sport for another few months and wait to see pricing and spec.

I know RRS and Land Rover is introducing the 2lt 4 pot too.... :worried:

Edit - @chris_b - I also know that LR is sending over a new disco to Belfast for 1 day for it to be seen in the showroom. I've got my invite sorted already!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.