Alloy Cleaning/Polishing

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
Just wondering what people recommend for Cleaning or Polishing rims?

I got Turtle Wax's cleaner instead of the polisher (a 2 year build up of brake dust needed a cleaner alright) and well it was ok. Most of the brake dust and grime I removed with elbow grease, the cleaner itself removed some of the stubborn dirt, but not all of it.

Now im looking for something to try and keep the rims clean and give them a good sheen. Any ideas? Meguairs (hot rims) seems to have a good write up??

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Im not really looking anything abrasive, espcially with a little scrape in the laquer of the rims.

Im happy with how clean they are, just a few spots in the back of some of the spokes that i gave up on. But any reccomendations on cleaners are welcome.

Really after a polisher for the rims now.

Bronk

RMS Regular
its not abrasive..most car valetin places use t f r on the rims

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
TFR or traffic film remover is not really suitable as its only a shampoo, its not an acid. Most carwashes use it or something similar. Im looking the holy grail of all things cleaning/polishing.

P5ary cheers for the post!

Jason

RMS Regular
Petrol cuts threw it big time... TFR if its light or theres alloy wheel cleaner but iv seen it take its toll on some rims

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Petrol is one thing I never thought of Mk3 Lad, good thinking.

Im reasonably happy with how clean they are, as ive done a reasonable job at it, certainly over what they intitially looked like.

I wouldnt mind giving them a good polish now. Im tempted by Meguiars' Hot Wheels stuff. Even a run of the mill car shampoo keeps them clean, but I want something to really get the light shining off them. Chrome plated maybe haha.

Jason

RMS Regular
petrol, rag, give it a good rub, clean cloth buff most of it off, then jus use car polish, its only paint and clear coat anyways on most wheels

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Nice one, ill give the car polish a go on the rims. Should have though about the petrol earlier, would have saved alot of work!

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Cheers Man14c, I think ill try the car polish stuff first to see how that goes. Loads in the garage, so why spend money :p.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
MAN14C said:
wonder wheel stuff is good

some one agrees :laughing:

polish wont remove the black crap that will be stuck in the corner of spokes - that stuff has been heated on and needs an acid to remove it

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.