Alloy polishing

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
@Iain Traynor

I wouldn be overly overly annoyed TBH. You paid 40 quid a wheel. There alloys. You paid a cheap price. And the job isn't terrible. Ye it's not great but if you wanted perfect go to nu luk. Agree with above that looks like pitting nothing to do with paint.

'No need for close inspection to see' lol could you get the camera any closer?

One run out of 4 wheels with a few spokes on each, and 2 patches of corrosion that didn't get rubbed down as best as could have been but hardly a bigi
You wouldn see any single one of them blemishes at normal standing height especially the moment you go down the road there is a film of dust on any wheel
Ruined, certainly not. Presentable. Yes. Sellable on a car. Yes. And he fixed them as you said. And as you describe them as ruined I'm dubious about your description as to how bad they were a year later.

Small amount of digging shows they look dead on TBH. You got them done in March 2014 too, lots of time to have got his shop together a bit better

Anyhoooo, barber finally called next. Lol. (Yep that's why I got into research mode. Bored waiting for ear lowering)

IMG_4646.JPG

Last edited:

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
So I'm lying when I say that's not pitting, I'm lying when I say they were in a state less than a year later. I'm lying when I said that the defects weren't noticeable from a distance. Fair enough. I guess that's me told @Eager lol.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Definately looks pitted to me also....are they genuine BBS RC alloys??

Yes genuine BBS off an anniversary golf. I could pick the stuff with my finger nail. It was dirt/debris that was just painted over. Not pitting. The worst was on one wheel like it hadn't been cleaned before painting.

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Funny how polar opposite some reviews are.

For me he was brilliant. Refurbed, painted and polished a set of wheels a few years back for £35 per wheel which was absolutely mental for the work involved. Great finish, quick turn around.

Then I knew a fella who's center caps went "missing" and heard nothing for 3 weeks despite chasing day after day.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
@Iain Traynor i can't wait to see the slating I get if I begin to tell my story.long long story lol.But I won't.

Your right, I wouldn't bother. Strange that when someone asks for an opinion or a recommendation on here and you post a bad experience some people doubt what your saying is true or they try to defend a poor job just because they had a good experience. I don't doubt anyone that said he did a good job.

What it cost is not the point and lack of experience at the time is not an excuse it's the end result what some people reading the thread are interested in.

Like I said in my first post we all have bad days when our work might not be up to our usual standard however I believe that the bad results should be shown on here as well as the good ones, it's only right.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
No doubt back when he started on the business it was a mess. Them m3 alloys took 2 months. But I was in no rush and it didn't bother me. But he sorted his stuff out and next set I gave Michael I had back 4 days later.

RickyB

RMS Regular
Drives
E3VO X
I give Michael @ Polished Alloys several cars on a weekly basis all year round for years and I can see the progression in his work. Many people on here have slatted his work and have based it on opinions of his work upto 3-4 years ago. The standard has steadily improved as he has invested heavily on new machines and processes (For example New CNC Machine £50,000) and another new machine on the way for prepping at £35,000....:eek:

People are saying you get what you pay for and if you want better go to NuLuk but I can put my hand on my heart and say lately his work produced has been better than Nu Luk!!! Yes you read that right, BETTER...and a fraction of the cost.

I have used Nu Luk, Lester Engineering, Alloy Wheel Repairs NI, Wheels in Motion and A27 Engineering and I believe his work to be of a better standard. The worst out of that lot was Alloy Wheel Repairs NI who states he does diamond cut but has no lathe for doing it and tries to do it by hand....awful job and charged for diamond cut!

Quality of work has greatly changed and I would happily recommed Michael to anyone. Yes the odd set may not turn out right due to quality of alloy (cheap copies) or paint reaction due to anything eg. too cold/hot/damp/laquaer problem etc but the thing is Michael cares and is easily approachable and will try to put things right if its a serious issue. As with any business he will get some people who are never happy not matter what you do for them and I generally find these are people just unhappy with their life in general so take it out on others.....:worried:

If you havnt used him lately give him ago (y)

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
We use him regularly ourselves and I have never had a complaint from a customer. His prices are a bargain and for me he is always utterly reliable.

My latest purchase is in dire need of a wheel refurb and it's a pretty rare car, I will have no hesitation using Michael for them.

As @RickyB said he is investing alot of money into his set up and you can really tell. Things will always improve with experience. If I even look at my own business I can see how far it has came in a 7 year period. More experience, continual investment and a desire to improve is how we did it and Michael is doing exactly the same.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Getting a set done with Michael at the minute. They look to be a great job so far :grinning:

(yes @Lyons they're anthracite - flip me I didn't think I'd see the day when I've ended up with a manual VAG on anthracite coloured wheels. Might as well get the wind deflectors & metro plates on it and be done ffs)

received_1808218309502566[1].jpeg
received_1808218329502564[1].jpeg
received_1808218349502562[1].jpeg
received_1808218322835898[1].jpeg
received_1808218342835896[1].jpeg

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Michael is turning out some great finishes these days, I think he powder coats now rather than paint.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Fantastic Craig!! What made you go for anthracite?! You hate it!!

What's the actual colour?

j44nty

RMS Regular

Gaz86

RMS Regular
Michael has done sets for me before and only last week did my girlfriends Mazda 2 wheels, which were in REALLLLLY bad condition might I add. It now looks like they're fresh from the showroom
perfect.png
No complaints here. If you expect perfection go to NuLuk but expect to bend over at the same time and perhaps not get the option of KY
shock.png

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Also to add, some people give Michael wrecked wheels they have picked up for pennies and expect him to work miracles, i've seen them sitting in his yard...be realistic and you wont be disappointed.
FFS it would cost you around £60-70 on rattle cans, sandpaper and whatever from halfords to do a DIY job not to mention the tips of your fingers being ready to fall off after endless hours of sanding...ask me how I know

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Im I the only one that thinks polished wheels look like a complete headache?

I had a polished set done by Michael about 7/8 years ago and they were a nightmare to maintain! They looked great but needed constant polishing and waxing to stay good.

colin84

RMS Regular
I had a polished set done by Michael about 7/8 years ago and they were a nightmare to maintain! They looked great but needed constant polishing and waxing to stay good.

I think this is the norm with polished metal though, rather than just being the finish Michael does.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.