Alloy Wheel Refurb?

Jmax

RMS Regular
Smick said:
AWRC were £45-50 per wheel

their prices seem to differ alot ppl have paid from £30 to £50 it just seems to be what mood their in can decide their price

casper-ac

RMS Regular
Rub down with:
60 grit on the bad and any even slight (as it will come through later) bubbly bits to clean all surrounding area.
fill any nicks or scrapes with Chemical Metal
180 grit everywhere including anywhere that was done with 60 grit
240 grit everywhere with lots of water
dry thoroughly
apply etching primer to all bare metal (I used Hammerite Special Metals primer which is brush only -- needs a little light touch with wet 240 grit again to blend)
apply normal primer
1200 grit everywhere with lots of water to flat and level
apply normal primer
light touch with 1200 grit everywhere with lots of water to final flat
apply topcoat
apply lacquer

If you are careful you will get away with 1 large can of each paint per wheel. Be prepared to spend time on it. I've been doing mine all over the bank holiday, leaving paint overnight etc.

casper-ac

RMS Regular
Ill make my own up in a separate thread if i ever do it... piles of pics and lots of bullet points...if i ever get round to it!

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
nu luk just quoted me £55 + vat for "basic respray" for a single 15" alloy wheel. Thats almost a whopping £65 just to spray a rim. its a fricking joke if you ask me.

AWRC get a call tmrw morning.

PhilG

RMS Regular
Guy outside claudy (county derry) is a sand blaster and has been repairing rims for 15 years or thereabouts

Directions to his place:

Owner: Dermott Lynch

Head through claudy

If your coming down claudy main street (past primary school, secondary school, then centra and spar) turn right at the crossroads at centre of village.
If your coming down Barnault(sp) road (past McLaughlins fruit&veg, diamond centre etc) go straight ahead at crossroads in centre of village.

travel to the end of this road (chapel road)

then turn left onto learmount road.

Stay on this road.

After 3 miles you will pass "Deeneys" hardware store (on your right, and "slievebouy park" (small housing estate) on your left. Keep on going on this road.

After a further mile the road bends sharply to the left (and in front of you is a sign saying LEFT: Park RIGHT:Craigbane) Drive around this bend.

about 75 yards later is a road on your right, take it.

After another 100 yards is a lane on your right, go down there.

Your now at Dermott Lynches place.
He sandblasts/Fixes kerbage/ and repaints rims.

He also Sandblasts/ repaints lorrys and restores old cars (currently finishing a 1989, i think, 5L merc convertible, and just sold a mk1 golf)

Rims will cost anywhere between £130ish and £200 ish to repair. And in the near future he'll be getting a machine to fix dented/bent rims.

PhilG

RMS Regular
yeah, of course. He prefers to do all 4 at the one time so they'll all the same colour.

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
i opted to get 2 done so if they're a different colour they'll go on one side of the car! lol!

excursion

Drives
MR2 Rocket
VEN©M said:
nu luk just quoted me £55 + vat for "basic respray" for a single 15" alloy wheel. Thats almost a whopping £65 just to spray a rim. its a fricking joke if you ask me.

AWRC get a call tmrw morning.

i hear ya mate, im truely surprise they are still in business with extortionate prices like that.

when i went it was the same, 65£ for a basic spray...for one wheel and they said colour match might be slightly off and i would need to leave it with them for 2weeks!!! i was look to get a scuff out that didnt even get all the way threw the paint.

nu-luk are not the good guys, its all money with them. my advice, and im sure 99% of peps agree is to say far far away from them.

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
casper-ac said:
Rub down with:
60 grit on the bad and any even slight (as it will come through later) bubbly bits to clean all surrounding area.
fill any nicks or scrapes with Chemical Metal
180 grit everywhere including anywhere that was done with 60 grit
240 grit everywhere with lots of water
dry thoroughly
apply etching primer to all bare metal (I used Hammerite Special Metals primer which is brush only -- needs a little light touch with wet 240 grit again to blend)
apply normal primer
1200 grit everywhere with lots of water to flat and level
apply normal primer
light touch with 1200 grit everywhere with lots of water to final flat
apply topcoat
apply lacquer

If you are careful you will get away with 1 large can of each paint per wheel. Be prepared to spend time on it. I've been doing mine all over the bank holiday, leaving paint overnight etc.

How many cans are you talking about? You shouldnt need anymore than 2 large cans, I only used about 1 and 1/4 bottle when I done mine last year. you will need a lot more primer though and only one can of lacquer.

As a piece of recommendation, if you are lazy or have very little patience then don't even bother trying it yourself because it is very time consuming and relatively straining on your wrists trying to prepare the wheels for priming. Painting them is the fun and easy part!!!:laughing:

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
Lyons said:
how much did they charge in the end pete?

£100 for my two rims but they both needed straightened and resprayed and they're 100% perfect, catch me on msn and ill fire you a few pics...

£100 for the two is still along way from nu-luks £55+vat for a 'basic' respray ^o)

SideWaysWayne

RMS Regular
Drives
LEGNUM VR4
New place open outside Dunmurry now. He used to paint and repair for AWRC:

BELFAST ALLOY WHEEL REPAIRS
90 600181
07791 750380

Very high standard, not your usual botch. Does alot for Hurst's.

six_impressive_hours

RMS Regular
Inevitable now happened & I've managed to mark one of my Supra rims in my own driveway! Doh! :sob: :sob: These are three piece split rims with a stainless lip. Will these alloy wheel re-ferb places be able to tackle a mark on one of these ok?

Cheers
Jamesy

PeteC

Drives
Seat Ibiza
I threw my 17"s into AWRC just under 2 weeks ago, and im supposed to be picking them up tomorrow morning. One alloy was badily damaged and kerbed. 2 others were dented, and the last one was just getting painted to match the others. I think they will have done a good job, but il post more info tomorrow when i get the wheels, giving my opinions on the job AWRC have done.

Karlos S14a

RMS Regular
any1 know who can polish wheels at a good cheapish price, i no theres alot of work in it, but the wheels have already been sandblasted to get the paint off. as close to bangor as possible???

icemanclio

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza
i man i bought my wheels brand new for 360 with tyres so if you think about it theres 130 in tyres so thats 230 for just the alloys thats about £55 pounds each for a brand new alloy i thin a company should only charge 30-35 for refribishing a 15 inch wheel