AlpineF30’s Bargain Basement E60 530d

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
So here we are again.

If anybody knows me you will know I have a bit of a soft spot for the BMW E60 especially after killing my last one.

C512A235-4D0D-4A5F-AC7E-474FB7C70754.jpeg

Currently my wife and I are sharing her Audi A6 to Belfast everyday and I have the M3 for floating about in but have always had an itch for another E60.

After applying man maths and convincing myself I need another car as I can SORN the M3 in the winter I went on the hunt looking for a cheap E60

The rule I was following was basically this. Buy one cheap enough that if it decides to do a Holy Hand Grenade in the morning I won’t really be too bothered.

So after hoking through Gumtree and Facebook I came across this.

A 2006 E60 530d M Sport

170k on the clock and is an auto.

Comes with heated seats and xenons which is a plus. Only downside on spec is the basic iDrive but for what it will be used for I don’t really care as it has an aux port.

For a car of this age the body work is in fantastic condition with only one tiny mark on the bumper.

Although being an E60 of this age it will have its downsides.
  • Needs a set of pads and discs
  • Gearbox in bad need of a service
  • Angel Eyes on either head light don’t work
  • Steering wheel needs replaced
  • Oil level sensor needs replaced
  • Needs a wheel alignment
  • Rear passenger wheel is cracked and will need repaired
8685F7E8-B371-4CB6-A417-D43437CB8C7C.jpeg

Other than that I am quite happy with it, its really only something for me to mess about with and throw into car parks and not give a **** about as currently doing too many miles for the Mrs A6.

Plans are to remove the M badges, remove the M plates, remove the wind deflectors, paint the calipers black from the current red, fix give it a clean up, and just dive it.

Anyway here it is :grinning:

FE4A745C-B114-4641-8461-BC9B0BB42C2A.jpeg

B270FC7C-EB8F-47A0-A968-789F482FC9D4.jpeg

203C0543-FDC3-4C12-A863-69B1685CDE50.jpeg

0F37B2DF-1803-41DC-8811-9EC6A2291D9A.jpeg

Last edited:

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
You know you’re gonna tinker like frig with the the idrive and probably lots of other things!

looks really well and I really like the wheels!

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Really fancy one of these as a daily myself. Had managed about a week without looking at the classifieds there but that streak comes to an end lol

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
Drives
a8
Looks great these have aged so well. Had an e60 530d myself and loved it.

Good luck with the electrical gremlins!!

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineF30
Drives
BMW M3
You know you’re gonna tinker like frig with the the idrive and probably lots of other things!

looks really well and I really like the wheels!

Most likely yes lol I said I wouldn’t this time after going to town on the M3 but
Nice Motor
Health to drive
I swapped my head unit for an android unit
Handy done an not to expensive

They look a great bit of kit actually and really bring it up to da
Really fancy one of these as a daily myself. Had managed about a week without looking at the classifieds there but that streak comes to an end lol
Do it you know you want to lol

Looks great these have aged so well. Had an e60 530d myself and loved it.

Good luck with the electrical gremlins!!

Thanks! Hopefully get to the bottom of them but I think thats part of the fun, only real thing worrying me is the juddering the gear box is doing which going by past experiences has been a much needed oil change but keep having it in the back of my head the torque converter is away 😂

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I love the E60 and have wanted to risk buying one for ages, the thought of potentially throwing away a few grand has always stopped me.

Though this isnt helping!

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
OP
AlpineF30
Drives
BMW M3
I love the E60 and have wanted to risk buying one for ages, the thought of potentially throwing away a few grand has always stopped me.

It always stopped me as well but living with the fear of the M3 this doesn’t scare me as much and as I have a ramp in the shed and the BMW dealer software I am hoping it doesn’t ruin me 😂.

Although after doing a bit of digging on eBay the car is probably worth more in bits than what I paid for the whole car so its always reassuring if worst happens I can always strip it.
Fire it over to colm at Banbridge motor works to get the box sorted

Yeah that will be the plan although will do a filter and oil change on the box first myself as I have done it for my last E60 and it helped things no end when it developed judders so hoping this is the case as well on this one.

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
Drives
a8
Nice one - did you ever do the hidden sport mode switch ?

I did it on mine but it did nothing !

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf

Sure £12-1500 puts ya into a half decent E60 530D Sport. Sell that E90 and you’d hardly have to add anything to it.

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
Looks very fresh in silver! And love the spiders, best wheels for them!

Deleted member 13907

D
That’s class. Properly living the dream there wafting about in a 530d, with an M3 tucked away for the better weather.

richie_mck

RMS Regular
Still one of the nicest 5 series made.

Is it even a bmw if it doesn’t have m badge stuck everywhere and stripes on the plates. At least it doesn’t have coloured grilles.

RevT

RMS Regular
Looks Excellent. The amount of car you can get for very little outlay nowadays is astonishing. I’ve just dipped my toe into world of BMWs the other day and picked up an X5. Really loving it so far.

E53 or E70? I want to buy an E70 at the minute.

euge07

RMS Regular
Drives
c220 cdi sport
Sure £12-1500 puts ya into a half decent E60 530D Sport. Sell that E90 and you’d hardly have to add anything to it.
where do you see them advertised for £12-1500 ? or did you mean on top of his car?