Another senseless, thirsty, stupid V8 with a nice interior (RR content)

Steviegsi

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3
@Artoir , before you try the dye, buy a magic sponge and go over those bits. I have had cream interior parts look similar to the above and the sponge cleaned them back perfect.

Artoir

RMS Regular
OP
Artoir
Drives
V8/V6
@Artoir , before you try the dye, buy a magic sponge and go over those bits. I have had cream interior parts look similar to the above and the sponge cleaned them back perfect.

That’s what I used on the plastics. Tried one one on the leather center console and it actually looked to be lifting more dye than dirt :worried:

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
You might not need the airbrush. I touched in the Porsche seats with coloured dye and found Lidl Cotton pads to work well when dabbing it on.

They’re a good size and kind of waffle texture finish, not fluffy like cotton wool. You get them beside the make up wipes. Also handy as no need to worry about overspray or removing parts. Wear gloves though if you do this!

Artoir

RMS Regular
OP
Artoir
Drives
V8/V6
Bit the bullet and ordered a heap of service bits this week. Brakes are first up to be done. The fronts look dead on honestly, probably 40% left on the pads but the sensor is determined to shout at me every time it gets the opportunity and if I’m taking them apart to change it I’ll do the lot at once (have already bridged the plug in the wheel arch with a paper clip and sure enough the error disappears so sensor is definitely to blame).

I had an exhaust leak somewhere up front, I think on the manifold gasket but before I could confirm it magically stopped after an 80 mile drive. So I either got lucky or it ran rich and welded the hole closed for me.

Beyond 70ish there was the most obnoxious buzzing that you couldn’t even hear the radio over coming from the windscreen area. Seems the plastic cowl along the bottom wasn’t sealed at all (strip of dried out double sided tape underneath doing nothing) so a £5 tube of black silicon held in place with sellotape for a day sorted that.

Gearbox is peachy after a rebuild 30k miles ago but going to do oil and filter anyway as they’re definitely the weak link in the drive train. Same for diffs and transfer box. Have enough lubricating fluid in the house to maintain a ship for a week currently.

Been looking at updating the stereo but dug around the boot and read up on how the thing is wired and threw the head up. Even the headunit is wonky shaped because of the AC gubbins behind it so most aftermarket stuff doesn’t fit. PITA.

On a run to Meath/Kildare and back I’m up to about 19MPG now which is close to 40 equivalent given current lpg costs.

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
Your lucky your getting to drive yours!

I left mine to get the bumpers painted and get mark on the back quarter touched up a month ago and it's still not ready. I have a garage full of stuff ready and waiting to go onto it and no ****ing jeep to be seen. I knew he was slow, but this is taking the piss!

Artoir

RMS Regular
OP
Artoir
Drives
V8/V6
@Artoir A lot of these new stereos that are mechless are tiny in terms of depth, so you might be grand firing one in and leaving whatever gubbins behind well alone.

Honestly that’s one of 18 hurdles. The DSP amp is in the rear with 7000 different connectors never mind all the CAN bits for the steering wheel control and onboard info. It’s doable but I’ll not be bothering unless I can somehow justify paying someone like @Cartunes to just take it away and do it all but oily bits definitely come first.

Artoir

RMS Regular
OP
Artoir
Drives
V8/V6
Mini update. Slowly working my way through all the weird niggly stuff. One that was really annoying was the flash/main beam function was all wonky. The earth for the flashers was shorting somewhere which meant the controls were all the wrong way around (indicator stalk pushed forward for dipped, in normal for main beam and pulling back did nothing) and I couldn’t actually “flash” without having the dipped beam on.

I started with the stalk which meant pulling most of the steering wheel and associated trim off. No bueno.

So found a lighting ecu from a breaker and gave it a lash for the sake of £20. Success!

787EB312-442E-421F-99F4-439E3B4ECC28.jpeg

One less annoyance when driving.

Speaking of which I’ve done a lot more miles in it than intended so far and falling more and more in love with it as time goes on. I might actually keep a car for longer than 6 months for the first time since I got off my R plates a decade ago...

I’ve been pulling trailers, filling the back with half a ton of bark or computer equipment, covering 500 miles in one day around the country, ferrying people to graduations/weddings/funerals in comfort and commuting. It really does everything perfectly except go round a back road at any great speed.

A2C01C80-33FF-4E68-A6B9-BA908CC19118.jpeg

62A68F61-B54A-4BF7-93C4-0B50553C134E.jpeg

EB9A8986-6B8E-4376-B594-5B06635F38F2.jpeg

3F95AB95-8463-47CC-A18D-7A69076CD2DD.jpeg

Artoir

RMS Regular
OP
Artoir
Drives
V8/V6
3 months to the day into it now and going well. Nothing disastrous yet but MOT awaits Monday afternoon 🤦‍♂️

Finally got around to changing the brakes. Discs are actually like new so didn't even both swapping them, will save until I do pads next. Speaking of which there's even more meat left in them than I thought, some arsehole had just cut the sensor and wrapped tape around it (???) but replaced them while I was there, new sensor fitted and one less thing shouting at me when I turn on the ignition.

Had it over in Scotland last week for that StenaClub deal. Did 250ish miles through the middle of nowhere, up and over tracks that definitely didn't have "No Public Access" signs at the start of them no sir...

D41D337B-9967-4FA7-9C75-E3831CA69D51.jpeg
C155AB29-29F2-41B1-A00B-FD70B8B10D4D.jpeg
27C2AA3F-33A2-4CF3-A897-D1CEA377B3A4.jpeg
7E3F9209-E250-4912-B42D-CC91DFD049E2.jpeg

Artoir

RMS Regular
OP
Artoir
Drives
V8/V6
Love it. Was actually looking at TDV8’s last night.

They are lovely, lovely things. I've been looking at replacements (what's new) and legit the only thing I could consider is a newer L322.

Normally after 3 months I'm balls deep in the classifieds every day but not with this. It's the comfiest thing I've ever driven, I still think the L322 is the best looking of them all and last week I got to experience just how capable they are off road and will definitely be taking it to a proper day locally if something gets organised. I'll refrain from going all Chris Harris and talking about the intangibles, but there really is something about them that you don't get until you've lived with one every day.

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
They are lovely, lovely things. I've been looking at replacements (what's new) and legit the only thing I could consider is a newer L322.

Normally after 3 months I'm balls deep in the classifieds every day but not with this. It's the comfiest thing I've ever driven, I still think the L322 is the best looking of them all and last week I got to experience just how capable they are off road and will definitely be taking it to a proper day locally if something gets organised. I'll refrain from going all Chris Harris and talking about the intangibles, but there really is something about them that you don't get until you've lived with one every day.

I got to drive mine at the weekend and I love it so far. I think your right, for the money they are hard to beat and after being in a TDV8 for a run on Saturday (the 4.4), I think that will be my next buy. I didn't like the fuel consumption figure of 11.6mpg though lol.

Artoir

RMS Regular
OP
Artoir
Drives
V8/V6
I got to drive mine at the weekend and I love it so far. I think your right, for the money they are hard to beat and after being in a TDV8 for a run on Saturday (the 4.4), I think that will be my next buy. I didn't like the fuel consumption figure of 11.6mpg though lol.

4.2 or 5.0 supercharged on gas for me I think!

Artoir

RMS Regular
OP
Artoir
Drives
V8/V6
Well it lasted nearly 3 years. Longest I've ever kept a car but time to move it on. Just dropped about £1500 into too, sensible as always :rolleyes:

Potentially off to Engerland next week to lift something a bit (a lot) newer...