Another 'What car' thread

Gareth

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda's
As with recent events, my CRV ended up needing a new engine and costs were getting to the point of 'not worth fixing' for me. So, here I am, browsing the classifieds and have finally taken a 'wise the fuçk up' pill and stopped looking at cars between the £15-20k mark and trying to sort out a circa £5k family bus.

My requirements are as follows,
  • £5k (ish) budget
  • Estate
  • Leather interior, decent spec and reversing camera (wife's requirement)
  • Automatic
  • Trying to stay around 10 years old
  • Cherry on top is sub 100k miles
The only real duties the car has is to bring the kids to school and back and the odd trip to the caravan with enough room for crap in the boot and the dog.

I've gone from looking at 3ltr V6 A6's to Hyunday i40's 😂😂. Plan is to hold onto the car for a few years and I don't want any more monthly outgoings as life is bloody dear enough without worrying about a £20k car payment.

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
Following this one as I keep doing the same thing - seems like nothing but junk in the lower price ranges for these requirements and it’s only £15k+ where theres something decent.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul

• £5k (ish) budget ❌
  • Estate ✅
  • Leather interior, decent spec and reversing camera (wife's requirement) ✅ish
  • Automatic ❌
  • Trying to stay around 10 years old ✅
  • Cherry on top is sub 100k miles ✅

RevT

RMS Regular
You’d get a decent 530D E60 LCI Touring in England for that but it may be 120-140K. I know they’re a little older but it’s what I’d be going for if it was me.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I wouldn’t advise buying an etron out without the manufacturer’s warranty, it could cost you a fortune if something major breaks, ours was in and out of Audi a few times for different things, nothing big but still it would have been a fortune on labour rates alone. Early ones had crap range too.

Petem86

RMS Regular
Drives
'15 Golf R
I've no idea how that quote ended up in this thread!
Fair do, seems like the prices have all shot up anyway, or they've been sold now

Gavlar

RMS Regular
I wouldn’t advise buying an etron out without the manufacturer’s warranty, it could cost you a fortune if something major breaks, ours was in and out of Audi a few times for different things, nothing big but still it would have been a fortune on labour rates alone. Early ones had crap range too.
Fella I know got one when fairly new, was away months with Audi because of some dodgy wiring looms or something that were delayed on very very long back order. He didn't speak highly of them at all

PAULW

RMS Regular
Don't think you'll get anything but headaches in that price category unless you spend 15k. Having been a CR-V owner you'll have been used to nothing going wrong beyond scheduled maintenance so nearly everything non-Japanese would be a system shock. My suggestion is a Lexus is300e or nx300e and keep it for years.

(Side note: Shocked a CR-V engine blew, DPF issues cause oil dilution or something? Mine is on 200k going strong)

Gareth

RMS Regular
OP
Gareth
Drives
Honda's
Don't think you'll get anything but headaches in that price category unless you spend 15k. Having been a CR-V owner you'll have been used to nothing going wrong beyond scheduled maintenance so nearly everything non-Japanese would be a system shock. My suggestion is a Lexus is300e or nx300e and keep it for years.

(Side note: Shocked a CR-V engine blew, DPF issues cause oil dilution or something? Mine is on 200k going strong)

High pressure pump ate itself, filled the injectors with its internals. I had everything cleaned and replaced and still no fire. Mechanic assumed skipped timing or over fuelled piston damage. I wasn't paying for any further investigation to get an answer on why it failed. The car itself was flawless and I'm still pissed off that it wasn't an easier fix. Cost of repair wasn't financially viable for me.

PAULW

RMS Regular
High pressure pump ate itself, filled the injectors with its internals. I had everything cleaned and replaced and still no fire. Mechanic assumed skipped timing or over fuelled piston damage. I wasn't paying for any further investigation to get an answer on why it failed. The car itself was flawless and I'm still pissed off that it wasn't an easier fix. Cost of repair wasn't financially viable for me.
Aww no, that's grim. We also have a 2017 crv 1.6 dtec that we bought new, it's a great car and runs on a sip of diesel, worth considering as a replacement