Any electric car drivers on here?

Ciaran

RMS Regular
Drives
i3 REX
I'm thinking of going electric. I walk to work everyday as my office is just down the street so don't use my car during the day but the rest of the time my journeys are dropping off and lifting the kids from actvities, nipping to the shops - last year I did roughly 4000 miles.

We have a family bus for longer trips so I don't need anything big. I love the look of the BMW i3 but they are expensive. I have up to £20k to spend but could go new and put the purchase through the our company as the wife will be using it more than me to be honest and I'd get good tax relief. Ideally if the battery could do a run to the inlaws in Dublin - 130 miles that would be ideal. Interested to hear of anyones current experiences with them.

Peadar

RMS Regular
Drives
Cayenne
Good friend of mine has owned electric cars since the first i3 was launched.

He lives in Belfast and owns a business in Dublin and has researched electric cars extensively with particular attention to range.

He is in a Kia E-Niro and does the return trip to Dublin and back every day on a single charge with no issue.

He told me the only two cars with this 'real-life' range at the moment are the E-Niro and the Hyundai Kona.

He swears by electric cars.

Ciaran

RMS Regular
OP
Ciaran
Drives
i3 REX
Prepare for "get a (enter high powered petrol here) if u only do those miles" posts on here.
I would love one (M3/M5) but realistically me tootling to sainsburys isn't going to be good for the health of the car.
A
Some Tesla Model 3 leases available at the minute, don't seem too mental.
Good shout, I imagine they would have the best range?
Good friend of mine has owned electric cars since the first i3 was launched.

He lives in Belfast and owns a business in Dublin and has researched electric cars extensively with particular attention to range.

He is in a Kia E-Niro and does the return trip to Dublin and back every day on a single charge with no issue.

He told me the only two cars with this 'real-life' range at the moment are the E-Niro and the Hyundai Kona.

He swears by electric cars.
One way would be fine as I could charge over night but a return journey would be fantastic.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
I would love one (M3/M5) but realistically me tootling to sainsburys isn't going to be good for the health of the car

Oh i know. Won't stop them posting though !
From memory Saxoman said recently the range on his battery is getting better as time goes on.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
I-Pace.

And it’s a hoot to drive!
That's the one!

I am anti-electric as we simply do not have the infrastructure for them here to make them viable for most households.

That said, the Jaguar drove phenomenally and seems to have a real-world 230ish mile range, which isn't bad and, at the time I drove it, was available with very attractive lease if a business or self-employed.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I've a PHEV which I know isn't near the same thing, but I would suggest you do a bit of research into the real-life range, especially in winter when the battery might not charge to the same capacity, plus you will be running heater, demister, etc.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Are the pre-orders not just out for the new Volkswagen ID3. I'm sure the leases on them won't be massive either and we'll worth a look.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
The new VW ID.3 will be everywhere before long. Game changer for the affordable electric car market.

JonnyB23

RMS Regular
could go new and put the purchase through the our company as the wife will be using it more than me to be honest and I'd get good tax relief

Currently should get the full amount as a first year allowance so reducing taxable profits by the list price, if its a limited company. Same if sole-trade/self-employed but if at any stage the vehicle becomes private use this will be transferred to a single use asset and a proportion of the allowance will be clawed back at this stage!

Reno_LV

RMS Photographer
Drives
Honda S2000
Go to NIEVO site in FB and you’ll get all info you need. Have been around them for a while now and driven a few. We have outstanding infrastructure for them compared to many other countries and if I financially could afford one for daily tasks i would. Zero need for petrol or diesel dailys now with their range as long as you can afford one, hency why I don’t have one

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
What are the home charging options over here? Pod point? Are there grants available still?

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
I considered an i3 a few months ago after being impressed by a test drive but, based on my annual mileage, I figured that why would I spend £500 on charging at home every night when I could just buy a small diesel and spend £1000 a year on fuel with vastly less outlay, it would have no range issues and I'd have an easy to sell car.

My concerns where the future values of these £20000 + cars and the day, if ever, the battery has become useless and won't hold much charge.

If my employer had free charging on site I'd say that may have swung it though, some employers do have this now. Electric is coming but for me its not quite there yet.

JonnyB23

RMS Regular
If my employer had free charging on site I'd say that may have swung it though, some employers do have this now
Some employers are reluctant to put this in due to potential benefit in kind issues arising from it - its currently a minefield with no sight, currently, of a potential relief or exemption for it.

Ciaran

RMS Regular
OP
Ciaran
Drives
i3 REX
Some employers are reluctant to put this in due to potential benefit in kind issues arising from it - its currently a minefield with no sight, currently, of a potential relief or exemption for it.
We actually have a charging point in our new offices so would be handy for me if I was to drive to work.

EVANI

RMS Regular
Drives
Electric
Have a look at the NIEVO (Northern Ireland EV Owners) Facebook group and website.

TL;DR - EVs are mostly fantastic, especially if you have off-street parking so you can charge at home. Main barrier to entry is price now but lots of affordable lease deals around and company car buyers are in for a treat come next April as BIK goes to 0%.

Thanks

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Have a look at the NIEVO (Northern Ireland EV Owners) Facebook group and website.

TL;DR - EVs are mostly fantastic, especially if you have off-street parking so you can charge at home. Main barrier to entry is price now but lots of affordable lease deals around and company car buyers are in for a treat come next April as BIK goes to 0%.

Thanks

Source on 0% BIK? I believe you, just not at the computer to have a proper look.