Any electric car drivers on here?

Shmern

RMS Regular
Drives
VX220 NA
IPace available to test drive in Belfast ... Beautiful car , great driving, nice interior, good range (although efficiency not brilliant for size of battery) enjoy the car!

I think Tesla interiors have come a long way, the Model S interior really wasn’t up to or with the cost of the car, but has got better in recent years, but the Model 3 has had brilliant reviews for quality of interior, the sparseness is a design choice and nothing to do with quality, some will like It some will not, but quality wise it’s reviewed as good!

hutchy_belfast

RMS Regular
IPace available to test drive in Belfast ... Beautiful car , great driving, nice interior, good range (although efficiency not brilliant for size of battery) enjoy the car!

I think Tesla interiors have come a long way, the Model S interior really wasn’t up to or with the cost of the car, but has got better in recent years, but the Model 3 has had brilliant reviews for quality of interior, the sparseness is a design choice and nothing to do with quality, some will like It some will not, but quality wise it’s reviewed as good!
You are right actually the one I was in was an S, not a 3!

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
Ford now in the EV market with their first offering, pretty decent looks wise for SUV though naming will surely ruffle a few feathers.

Ford-Mustang-Mach-E_red-e1572459546788.jpg

mustang_mach-e_66.jpg

Gavlar

RMS Regular

ahannigan

RMS Regular
Drives
Bullitt
... though naming will surely ruffle a few feathers.

And rightfully so. It looks nothing like a Mustang, and they’ve clearly slapped the name on it to sell.

Now this, this is an electric mustang:

mustang_lithium_050.jpg

Should have made that if they wanted to sell a premium car under the mustang brand.

Instead they made a KIA lookalike that starts at £47,500 for 260 miles range

1574166941211.png

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
And rightfully so. It looks nothing like a Mustang, and they’ve clearly slapped the name on it to sell.

Now this, this is an electric mustang:

mustang_lithium_050.jpg

Should have made that if they wanted to sell a premium car under the mustang brand.

Instead they made a KIA lookalike that starts at £47,500 for 260 miles range

View attachment 257027

I have every faith in the internet that there would also have been a rage fest if Ford had of actually brought out an EV option for icon like the regular Mustang :grinning:

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
I have every faith in the internet that there would also have been a rage fest if Ford had of actually brought out an EV option for icon like the regular Mustang :grinning:
They released the ecoboost (worst marketing department moniker ever) so wouldn’t put it past them.

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
They released the ecoboost (worst marketing department moniker ever) so wouldn’t put it past them.

Thought that one was an engine model marketing thing until the wife said she had booked one as a hire car last year and realized they had actually called a car that.

On a related note just read on our company presentations that Ford US will drop making cars completely bar normal mustang and some new Focus Active thing.
Focusing instead on electrifying everything else.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Funny that... Nobody seems to have a problem with a Porsche Taycan "Turbo"... Or even just a Porsche "Turbo" at all when just about every single car they make is turbo-charged, whether called "Turbo" or not...

But other manufacturers recycling brands into their electric ranges is apparently a huge no-no, lol :innocent:

Agree Ford have taken it a bit far though - first the "Puma", and now a "Mustang", and neither even remotely like the originals 🙈

ahannigan

RMS Regular
Drives
Bullitt
Never actually looked at the Taycan lines before, only looked at the Mach-E because I got an email about it from Ford.

It’s a similar case, bit strange assigning it the 4S and Turbo models when it looks more like a Panamera, and the different models seem to share the same style.

Difference here is, taking electric out of the equation, Ford took the Mustang icon and stuck it on an SUV for sales. Would have been like Porsche calling the Macan a 911 Macan, or Jaguar taking the I-Pace and deciding to call it an XKR-E. Just a bit weird. Puma is another example.

Just my opinion of course, I’m sure there are people out there who love it and will buy it.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Get used to it because everyone will be doing it.

As @hutchy_belfast mentioned above, to most people any car, not just electric cars, are just a rented commodity to get from A to B. There is no emotional connection to the car itself. And a "brand" is just perceived "prestige" and "style" since underneath they are all but identical.

It's already true for "normal" cars - Cupra, S, M, etc., plonked on anything from a diesel hatch to a warp speed saloon. Merc at it too with AMG. And Porsche have been doing it for decades, lol.

With electric it's even more commoditised. The same drivetrains and battery packs from the same suppliers literally just bolted together. So the only differentiation is in design and perceived style.

And brands are right in the middle that.

Oreo ice cream anyone? :innocent:

JT079

RMS Regular
From my understanding, Tesla, Nio, and Polestar are fundamentally ground up designed full EV cars so far, others are modified based on existing platform. So they do drive very differently.

An interesting read talking about the disaster Merc EQC

Test drove model 3 performance, interior is modern, decent quality. The way it picks speed and high speed corners are something very different, I actually felt it drives like an aircooled 911😂 on rail if you push it through the corners.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s no aircool🤌🏼

I think I really should book a test drive on polestar in Manchester

Last edited:

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
From my understanding, Tesla, Nio, and Polestar are fundamentally ground up designed full EV cars so far, others are modified based on existing platform. So they do drive very differently.

An interesting read talking about the disaster Merc EQC

Test drove model 3 performance, interior is modern, decent quality. The way it picks speed and high speed corners are something very different, I actually felt it drives like an aircooled 911😂 on rail if you push it through the corners.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s no aircool🤌🏼

I think I really should book a test drive on polestar in Manchester

Jaguar I-Pace is also ground up EV platform

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
The Polestar 2 is based on the Volvo XC40, it's not a dedicated EV platform. The Polestar 1 is a range extender car.

Most have a bit of both. For example, Hyundai has the Kona sharing a platform with combustion engines. And also the dedicated Ionic 5 which is EV only.

The electric A3 shares a platform with combustion models, but the iD cars are pure electric.

Just horses for courses. Getting something out quicker without costing (the company) a fortune. Or do something that will need a lot more development, and with costs that can't be shared with other topologies, but be more tailored and optimised.

JT079

RMS Regular
Don't get me wrong, Tesla is not perfect, the big ipad on wheels is one of the things that I really hate :joy:
I still love the physical items and old car dials...

Lucid is doing something very dfferently.

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
The "ipad" is actually one of my favourite features on mine, very simple to use and almost completely glitchless in 18 months of use. I like what Lucid have done there but using that lower touchscreen while driving will be virtually impossible other that when you are in cruise control on a motorway.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
Mrs. Deezer is thinking of an electric Mini. Electric makes so much more sense to her as she’s clocked up a massive 17K on her 2015 Cooper. Might need to charge it once a fortnight!
I’m thinking lease is the way forward with EVs? She likes to own her cars outright but not sure I’d want to own an EV

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Lease the EV for sure. And hand it back or swap for something else in a couple of years. Things are still evolving so fast it is probably the safest option. Means getting stuck on a PCP or lease deal though, none of these things are cheap.

That said you can get older EV second hand. They will most likely have somewhat reduced range, and be a few years behind tech wise, if that is important. You can upgrade batteries on some of them, but it seems to vary, both cost and availability. Don't know if anyone in NI is doing this.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
I took the Tesla out on straight HP as I didn’t want to be tied to mileage but if my miles were lower I would 100% have just leased it

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
Lease the EV for sure. And hand it back or swap for something else in a couple of years. Things are still evolving so fast it is probably the safest option. Means getting stuck on a PCP or lease deal though, none of these things are cheap.

That said you can get older EV second hand. They will most likely have somewhat reduced range, and be a few years behind tech wise, if that is important. You can upgrade batteries on some of them, but it seems to vary, both cost and availability. Don't know if anyone in NI is doing this.
I don’t think second hand would be an option. Ideally we’d lease / pcp for the duration of the warranty and then go again - either another Mini or try something else.
A quick look on the Mini website says one charge per week and an annual saving of £750 in fuel. It would mean being back to car payments but we can bank some of the trade in value and use it towards the next deposit in 3 years time.

Ciaran

RMS Regular
OP
Ciaran
Drives
i3 REX
@Deezer-D Just to keep this in mind - I went from doing 5k a year to almost 9k in the last 10 months I've had mine as either me or the wife uses it instead of taking the jeep.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
@Deezer-D Just to keep this in mind - I went from doing 5k a year to almost 9k in the last 10 months I've had mine as either me or the wife uses it instead of taking the jeep.
She’s managed less than 4K a year for the last 10 years so not likely to change. I think the PCP quote is for 8K so we should be grand. We take the S3 any time we go out as a family or if we have the pup with us as I couldn’t get a dog guard for her current Mini.
Might rack up a few more miles when the wean passes her test though.
Will see how it drives first - if she doesn’t like it then it’s back to the drawing board.