Any electric car drivers on here?

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Yea same basic body shape. The interior has changed a fair bit.

The thing about Teslas is they constantly update the car with updates, so as new features get added the car updates and you get them too which is pretty cool.

I would say there will be another styling facelift in between times.

It’s a weird ordering process. You stick £100 to secure your order then as it gets closer to delivery they finalise the spec and you pay just before the car arrives.

I only had to wait 6 weeks for the model 3 lol

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
It’s a weird ordering process. You stick £100 to secure your order then as it gets closer to delivery they finalise the spec and you pay just before the car arrives.
So the worst you lose should you walk away is the £100, right up to delivery basically?

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
So the worst you lose should you walk away is the £100, right up to delivery basically?

The £100 is refundable at any time! That is how they sometimes end up with inventory cars built that someone has pulled out of.

Could also work in my favour that someone orders a plaid in the UK, spec’s how I have spec’d this one, and cancels then that will get passed down the line to the next waiting customer. No obligation to take it you can just wait your spot out.

I wouldn’t want one for at least another 18months 2 years for it to make sense financially so getting the order in is the only way to make the change at the time.

Strange system!

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Strange indeed, lol. But works for you so happy days!

I guess as long as there is a waiting list they assume they won't get stuck with unsold stock. Plus it makes it easy for punters to get on the band wagon, and once in "the queue" I guess most people want to "keep their place" in it. Then big queues driving more demand, etc.

Clever social engineering meets marketing :cool:

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
Quick update on charging the Mini with the 3 pin plug - it’s brutally slow!

26-49% took 5h 52mins

Did the school pick up and plugged in when I got back

45-100% took a further 15.5 hours

That’s a total of over 21 hours. Mini state 12 hours so something not right. Need to investigate further. Got the Andersen going in on 11th Feb so should make a big difference

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
You need a wall charger. No modern EV can be charged from a standard plug other than strictly in an emergency to get enough juice to get to a proper charger. Their quoted times as always will be under perfect conditions, with a high current supply, not too cold, etc.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
You need a wall charger. No modern EV can be charged from a standard plug other than strictly in an emergency to get enough juice to get to a proper charger. Their quoted times as always will be under perfect conditions, with a high current supply, not too cold, etc.
I've been charging mine over night on a 3 pin plug for 3 months now, hasn't been a problem and almost always 100% in the morning.

It's the out and about on a long run I worry about as the ESB network isn't good and is in big demand

I actually bought another 2.3kw charge lead to keep in the boot incase I'm in trouble some day as my Nissan one never leaves the garage

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
I’ve got being installed in a couple of weeks.
This one
4F45EE5E-629C-44C0-A1E6-B8EA6E2CDEDE.jpeg

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I didn’t even take the car until the charger was sorted tbh. You’re running a 3 pin at maximum load for extended periods. I’m no expert but is that safe / smart?

We charge once a week - 4/5 hours is normally enough.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
I didn’t even take the car until the charger was sorted tbh. You’re running a 3 pin at maximum load for extended periods. I’m no expert but is that safe / smart?

If it was an issue then they shouldn’t provide the user with the 3 pin lead. We’ve only had to charge it twice since getting it and it’ll likely only need 1 or 2 more charges before the charge point goes in.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Unless it has a small battery, like a Honda E something, the 3-pin option really is there just as a fallback. It won't be unsafe, but it's not really meant to be relied on. A wall charger (I saw you had one on the way, good choice 👍) is just a few hundred, nothing in the grand scheme of things. Basically one monthly payment on the car. It doesn't just charge faster, but manages power and all the rest of it as well.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various

Main thing to check is the wall socket that it's plugged into, because a bad connection between the socket and the plug pin creates heat.
Well worth installing a quality brand if there is any doubt.

big cyril

RMS Regular
When the e-tron arrived we had no wall charger due to a mix up.
It took a month for the wall charger to arrive so used the 3 pin ‘granny charger’ for that time. It’s really slow, adds about 3 miles of range per hour. My commute is about 30 miles return so an overnight charge actually was fine. There was no problem, the socket didn’t even get warm although it does say in the manual it’s not intended for long term use.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around

It charges at 2.3kw......the same as a hairdryer, heater, kettle, power washer etc.

It's not recommended to charge using an extension lead as the cable is too light.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
It charges at 2.3kw......the same as a hairdryer, heater, kettle, power washer etc.

It's not recommended to charge using an extension lead as the cable is too light.

None of which are running for hours a day every day. The owners manual on mine suggests it’s not to be used permanently.

That to me means it’s a temporary thing; like being stuck somewhere or away for the weekend or whatever then you could use it but perhaps not the permanent solution for home. As I said I’m not an expert just doesn’t seem like a safe or smart idea to me.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Few of the Tesla forum people that got their cars early have been using the 3 pin plug for months with no complaints. Getting 10 miles per hour too.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Has anyone went on holidays & left their EV in the carpark for a fortnight, does it hold whatever charge it had when parked up?

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Does your Tesla have that all round motion activated camera system? Every catch any sketchy behaviour near your car?

It does, they call it sentry mode. I only tend to activate it if I’m parked somewhere dodgyish. Never flagged anything of interest.

You can now use it to live view at any time which is cool and you can talk through the loudspeaker too 😂

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
I left mine sitting for a week and it used 1%
Interesting. Was just watching Fifth Gear Recharged last night & wondered that.

Also wondering how they manage to keep all of the cars charged for multiple takes when reviewing on their closed test tracks..

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
All modern cars use battery when parked up. Mostly alarms and whatnot. Don't see why electric should be any different, especially with "sentry mode" and things, lol.

Don't know if EV run that stuff off the main battery? Even on a normal car battery two weeks is usually ok. If it runs off the main EV battery pack then it would surely barely register over two weeks. Might be different if it were extremely cold or something for those two weeks.

Interesting. Was just watching Fifth Gear Recharged last night & wondered that.

Also wondering how they manage to keep all of the cars charged for multiple takes when reviewing on their closed test tracks..
They usually have several cars, and spend the whole day filming while charging in the background.

They do that with ICE cars too just because they tend to break them, at least on top gear. We rarely get to see that unless they particularly dislike some car 😅

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

It is never a good idea to run a 3 pin plug at or near maximum rated load for any extended period.

Just because they supply it, doesn't detract from some common sense and reasonable usage....and I'd be interested to read any actual instructions supplied with it, and the actual current draw they predict.

but a 13A plug is not really designed to run 13A of current for hours on end. And all it takes is a cheap plug, socket, slightly corroded terminals, old or poor wiring etc etc....and problems can start.

I've seen ****ty 2kw heaters melt both their own plugs and burn sockets, and that's only 2/3 the rating of that 13A outlet.

There will always be caveats to using such items....what do their own instructions say ? Bound to be disclaimers in there.