Anybody work for a car rental company? Advice appreciated please.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Pauly

RMS Regular
Drives
Family bus
Hello folks,

I have a bit of a dilemma, which I would appreciate your advice about. Sorry for this being so much of a ramble, but I need to explain it all for you to get an accurate picture of the issue.

I rent a van, on a long term basis, and have done for 18 months. Financially, it makes a lot of sense, as I only have one payment to make each month, plus I am covered for road tax, servicing with parts and insurance, plus roadside recovery. All it doesnt cover is fuel and non-wear and tear repairs (the tyres issue a couple of months ago!)

Anyway, all was dandy and I had a fixed price every day, on a 28 day cycle. every 28 days I re-write (or am supposed to) all the paperwork.

However, a number of months ago I was trying to change out of the van and into a large estate car or MPV. I thought it would be wee buns given the popularity of the vans, and the rental office I deal with were initially very responsive towards getting me the vehicle I wanted, with either a little, or no increase in my daily rate.

Days turned to weeks, and it felt like we were chasing them about it. Then it appears that they cant do a Galaxy for anything like a realistic price, then asking about a Passat Estate gives a price almost 1/3 more than the Galaxy!

The staff in the office are very good, but they kept blaming the area manager. We arent stupid and realise this is an excuse, so I continue to ask about speaking to the area manager directly, which never materialises.

Finally I go in branch after this going on for two months and ask them does my business not matter to them as they cant give me a straight answer? There and then the manager phones the Area manager and comes back in saying 'you wont like this news'.

She goes on to say that he is giving me 4 weeks at the old price I have been paying since September last year (when I changed into the van size I have), but then he would want a major jump in the daily rate.

So no change of vehicle, but a 30% increase on my daily rate.

I tell them fine, im going elsewhere, this is a joke and the manager ****s a brick, tells me not to be rash, and then to come back to them at some stage before the end of the month, that prices change day to day.

This stance is maintained by them until the end of the month, when I finally manage to tie down the Area manager.

What followed was a 2 hour phone call, him stating that market pressure means they are paying more for cars and vans and therefore arent buying as many, so need to charge more for what they have. Also calls me a retail customer, as we pay our own bills, and that corporate clients pay less and their prices are fixed.

The call ends with me agreeing to pay 25% more daily, but we get an upgrade to a new van, unliveried and a specific increase to a High Spec Transit. While not overly happy at having to find the extra money each month, I can at least see the value in the bigger van, better spec and something that doesnt feel like a mobile bill board for the company in question!

I meet with the Area Manager that next week, we shake on this agreement and he goes off to find the new van for me. He also agreed to me paying the old price until he supplies the new van.

Great, or so I thought.

2 more months pass, no vans like agreed. Cant find them, they are all on long term rental already, but they are trying. I go along with all of this because we arent paying any increase in price - hey, take as long as you want!

Then last month we had to come back to Belfast urgently for family reasons. We tried to get a car for the trip at the last minute, but the timing wouldnt have worked. The car might have been possible, but it would have been at the higher rate that the Area Manager wanted us to pay for the new van. The money wasnt the issue, but we didnt go for it.

3 weeks into being here, the manager from the branch we rent from phoned up just wanting to confirm if they could take payment 'at the new price as agreed with the area manager' and would we phone them back.

Phoned up and got told that they had been taking the increased price that we agreed only on the basis of the new van being supplied, since we left for Belfast.

Spoke with the Area Manager and he tried to say he told my wife that he would have to charge the higher price, because they cant find the van we wanted, so the price has to go up regardless of any deal we made.

I try not to flip my lid, but make it clear that I wouldnt be paying for an upgrade that we havent got. Spelled it out to him in terms of would he agree to pay for Business Class but take an Economy Seat because thats all that was available.

He went on to say, as we were classed as corporate customers now, we paid more than retail customers! yet a few months ago it was the other way around (when we were classed as retail customers!)

Tried to explain there must be some confusion over the price increase being agreed, because we asked for a car last minute, hence thats were he was including the increase in price - but he stated it wasnt the case. Basically calling my wife a liar but wouldnt say it.

He made his excuses about needing to address another issue for us, promising to phone back in 5 minutes to sort things.

That was a week and a half ago....

Im sorry for this rambling on, but we have so much going on in the family at the minute that I just havent given this the time that it needs.

I feel the company are taking the piss out of us, but at the same time, we need the vehicle and worked hard to get the deal we did get with this company at the start.

As it stands now, after 18 months of renting with this business, we are getting 10% off their internet prices. Anyone walking in for a 1 day rental can get the same.

No customer loyalty and actually, treat those who are most loyal with the most contempt!

After that major rant, I suppose what I need to ask is does anyone work for a rental company in NI and can they explain perhaps how they normally treat long term customers.

I mean, businesses are getting hit hard everywhere, so no business, big or small could cover a 30% increase in what was previously a fixed price, with no good reason. Those changes are what put people out of business.

I should say that at no stage were we told there would be any change to the price we were paying, or any price review.

Your advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Noel --

Pauly

RMS Regular
OP
Pauly
Drives
Family bus
I think so myself Neil, just finding it hard to put that into words to them without losing my only reliable vehicle in the house...

Sorta needing to know have prices generally gone up that kind of amount and do rental companies generally go back on previously agreed prices.

I know the prices have gone up for holiday rentals, but this is a different business model altogether and corporate/long term rentals wouldnt work if prices were changed like this with no warning or reason. Businesses, be they individuals or large corporations, need to know what they are paying each month, hence why we choose this route of ownership as it was a fixed payment.

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
hate hearin bout ppl treatin businesses like this...

theyre a joke... who is it btw?

neil1280

Banned
Drives
e46 318ti MG tf
if its national car rental im aware of them hiking prices up. but to be brutal lad.... these guys deal with big contracts and companies with a lot more than one van and may be willing to take the hit knowing they could get more for it renting it on again.

Pauly

RMS Regular
OP
Pauly
Drives
Family bus
Neil I agree, hence why I am reluctant to go mental with them about this, incase they give me my marching orders...

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Noel, if it were me, I'd ditch them. Its been a while since I worked for Donnelly's, but they have a Leasing scheem whihch runs from Mallusk branch, girl used to work there called Margret, she seems well clued into things and never heard a customer say a bad word about her, drop in have a chat with her and you'll get a 3year deal on a car / van / MPv or whatever. The monthly rate will probably be the same as finance on a private car, but servicing ect would all be included.

BigP

RMS Regular
Drives
V10 Touareg
Hi Noel,

This is all complete bollox

firstly, they are purchasing vehicles at a cheaper rate at the minute via a secret government subsidy similar to the scrappage scheme.

I lease all my vehicles (36) from a local company and can honestly say they treat me no different at times, however the lease agreement should include a set price!

Take my advice and contact Trading Standards. I did this and have never had the same problems again.

PM me with the company you are using, i may be able to help you find a cheaper alternative. I shopped around for 6 months to find the best one.

Pauly

RMS Regular
OP
Pauly
Drives
Family bus
Hey Guys,

Thanks for your responses.

JCLC, my old Shogun Sport came from Donnellys, although they only supplied the car.

Had a 300C touring sorted for lease last July (2008), it arrived from the dealers with attempted theft damage (passenger front door pulled out at the top) and it took me 6 months to cancel the deal, having rejected the car at delivery and never put 1 mile under its wheels.

So that kinds put me off leasing for the time being! That and how strict they have gotten on hand-back condition.

BigP, unfortunately I think this is a case were the company in question use a different arguement to fit the given situation. One minute im a retail customer, next im corporate, and each time I fit one category the price paid changes.

I believed long term hire through this company (and others) was at a fixed price once you signed for the van/car, otherwise they should be liable to tell me at the time of taking out the initial agreement that it would be subject to change at any time with no warning, which they didnt do.

Trading standards could well be the way to go and I will PM you about it later tonight, cheers buddy.

Pauly

RMS Regular
OP
Pauly
Drives
Family bus
I know what you mean Eamon, but its not Belfast where I live now, and I cant afford to be caught short with something that is unreliable as my only family over there is my 66 year old aunt!

Flip side of that is paying out for something modern and then facing bills for insurance, tax, tyres, servicing, RAC etc, it just wouldnt make sense financially.

Leasing would be the cheapest other way of doing it, but like I said previously, I had my hand bitten there as well last year with the 300C, so not keen to revisit that again.

But they are pushing me closer and closer to picking up a half decent auto estate for a couple of k....

paddymcc

RMS Regular
Drives
C63
Surely it will work out cheaper to buy a van/estate insure it and have a balloon payment at the end when you can either hand it back or pay the balance to keep it?

Pauly

RMS Regular
OP
Pauly
Drives
Family bus
With those you usually have limited mileage paddy, same as leasing.

I think there isnt an easy answer to this. Our needs were being met with the van, but increasing the price by almost a third with no justifiable reasons - and then doing it before the upgrade as agreed - isnt on.

wiggee

RMS Regular
Drives
4 x 4
i knw a place thatll lease you nearly anythign as long as its not a sports or upper class car , with no mile limit etc etc it in belfast though.(y)

D4LY

RMS Regular
Drives
HOME ON A BOAT
Like you say its a daily rental and you are renewing your contract every month to allow them to alter there prices which they are entitled to do, if you want a car/van at a fixed price you have to go down the road of leasing it for a fixed period of time eg 6 months or 1 2 3 years

Car hire companys have cut back big time on cars this year for the simple cars have just got to dear and tend to lose to much money in there first year which frigs the leasing side of it up.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.