Anyone going to Silverstone?

e320mark

RMS Regular
Just wondering if anyone is heading to Silverstone for the Grand Prix. I’ve hired a camper & am going Belfast to Cairnryan & driving down. What would be the best type of satnav to use, Google maps on phone or just buy a satnav?

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Camper? as motorhome? Best type is a truck one where you put in your dimensions. Usual Garmin, Tomtom or Snooper. Cheap one is Xgody. Ask your rental place in case they offer it as an extra.

Camper as in small VW or similar. Google maps is great.

In a car, Waze is my favourite and works really well in England because there are so many users, but it might get you in a pickle with a larger vehicle in a city, dodging busy junctions and sending you on shortcuts down side streets.

e320mark

RMS Regular
OP
e320mark
Camper? as motorhome? Best type is a truck one where you put in your dimensions. Usual Garmin, Tomtom or Snooper. Cheap one is Xgody. Ask your rental place in case they offer it as an extra.

Camper as in small VW or similar. Google maps is great.

In a car, Waze is my favourite and works really well in England because there are so many users, but it might get you in a pickle with a larger vehicle in a city, dodging busy junctions and sending you on shortcuts down side streets.
It’s a small 4 berth camper not much bigger than a vw transporter size. Thanks for the options, appreciate it!

K55

RMS Regular
Google Maps will be fine, it's a very straightforward run.

K55

RMS Regular
Just check the 'traffic' tab on maps, will give you an idea how bad the congestion/closures are on a certain road.

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v

I try to use Waze but it keeps bringing me down tiny roads. Not worth the extra driving effort for the time saving.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
If you are using the main campsite then exiting away south from the circuit, via Dadford Rd is a good way out to dodge the main traffic and satnav would be useful.
Although it's been years since I was there, so maybe it's well signposted now, not sure.

e320mark

RMS Regular
OP
e320mark
If you are using the main campsite then exiting away south from the circuit, via Dadford Rd is a good way out to dodge the main traffic and satnav would be useful.
Although it's been years since I was there, so maybe it's well signposted now, not sure.
I’m staying at Silverstone golf club, no idea how close or even which one it is (seems to be 2) we will be there from Wednesday so hoping to avoid most of the traffic!

Davytog

RMS Regular
Drives
GTD
I would highly recommend using the back roads from Rugby, through Kilsby, Daventry and into Silverstone village which should lead you across the A43 to the camp grounds. I always found that the English were happy to queue along the A roads whereas the back roads were almost empty and certainly better than most of our A roads over here