Anyone got a discount code for CEF or work there? new multimeter shopping

-Pete-

RMS Regular
as per title? anyone work for CEF, bangor branch preferably or able to get discount there? after a new multimeter.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I know prices a crowd I worked for a few months ago where paying from CEF were astronomical. Lots of things maybe 4-5x what they should have been, and that was a national account based from Scotland !
Like £5 for a 5ft tube !!! WTF They were getting robbed blind.

What meter ? Often online is cheapest.

-Pete-

RMS Regular
OP
-Pete-
yeh I know they're not the cheapest sometimes. my account was suspended there, probably just due to not being used for ages and I cant be bothered getting it reactivated.
was considering a fluke 117 or if im not being a brand hure I liked the look of the klein mm700 as I liked the temp sens and that it came with some extra accessories was a bonus.
the megger was in the mix too, the avo410. I'm not worried about going for the fluke though. the klein looks the best deal although seems like theyre more american based in terms of reviews and users.
I want something that can be a jack of all trades for light industrial although the way to electronic use so thats why im leaning away from the fluke as they seem to stick to making meters that do one or the other (i could be wrong there but just the impression ive picked up when looking through them.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Exactly what sort of usage and measurements needed ?

It'd hard to beat Fluke...although it's also handy having a few meters about. A Clamp meter is very handy too, both for measuring current and simply using the clamp to hang it off things lol
Although some clamp meters only do AC current, so if you need DC current make sure to check.

Onboard current like most multimeters via the leads is often pointless as very impractical to take the measurement, and usually limited to 10A

Klein one does look a bit more useful than the others listed.

-Pete-

RMS Regular
OP
-Pete-
as said stevie, across light industrial trouble shooting to some electronic work and car work in there too. just something with plenty of bells and whistles to cover most bases. id like a good clamp meter but just couldnt justify the cost of it all right now, a compressor upgrade is on the horizon soon so need to spread the monies right now.
I have no brand loyalty so if the klein ticks a lot of boxes at the right price, and it seems more than solid enough as a brand, then I might just go for it.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I've a few of the Uni-T Clamp meters, £20 or so. ( These both do DC current...most only do AC Current so no use for car stuff )

eg UNI-T DIGITAL UT210E 100Amp 600V AC DC CLAMP METER Multimeter True RMS VFC diode | eBay

Surprisingly good quality for the money.

I've an auto setting Fluke for general use....it must be 20 odd years old and still going strong. Although that wouldnt be ideal for electronic work.....no idea if they even make that type anymore

And a few other random meters....can never have too many, so always one to hand.

For mainly automotive work...there are meters with more car orientated features a general meter will not have.

-Pete-

RMS Regular
OP
-Pete-
good call on that uni t, I think im going to get a klein 2300, seems a good solid unit and good capability. can always get a fluke later with some minor justification or some light self convincing :grinning:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
2300 looks like a good unit. Not seeing places online or prices though ?

Found a CL800 which seems pretty similar ?

-Pete-

RMS Regular
OP
-Pete-
Cef have it in stock but I got it from an electronics seller online.
Seems well reviewed just little slow on continuity test beep but that's no big issue.

I'll keep that clamp meter book marked for later 👍