Anyone In Southampton Direction?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I couldn’t even be bothered arguing about it again.

It’s nearly as tedious as the DSG and metro plate debates!

Personally I’d rather have a shorter, much nicer drive on the mainland, then a quick jaunt up the autobahn from Dublin. Dumfries to Cairnryan is great craic if you get stuck among lorries.

salster

RMS Regular
Drives
mini
£240?! Some chance! I was looking a car lifted from Somerset so further north but more awkward and the cheapest was CCRS at 500 and some.
i got a skoda yeti brought home from bath for £250 in October. the driver phoned me when coming off the boat and i met him on boucher road as he was going to hursts.

Steve750

RMS Regular
OP
Steve750
Drives
750i

I've booked a ferry from Cairnryan to B'fast for the 22nd Dec already, so would just need to change the car reg over for the booking if needed. BUT - it would mean getting a train or bus 180 miles to So'ton driving the v12 about 11 hours to Scotlandcestershire, near 450 miles! I'm worn out thinking about it and need a lie down......... 'scuse me.
I wouldn’t expect you to do that mate
I just need a reliable opinion on the car :grinning:
Photos can be deceiving

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Always go over for a car if you can get the time off work! The drive home is the best bit, plus you get to know it. It'll probably be the best MPG you'll see in a while anyways if it's a V12.

I lifted the C63 near Southampton and came home via Liverpool, bit of a pain having the overnight but made sense timing wise for me.
The Range Rover I was nearly for going to Holyhead but was cutting it too fine, and the next ferry was an extra 6hr wait, then the drive from Dublin would've killed me,so Cairnryan it was. Worked out a 14hr journey in total, used about £80 of fuel as well which was brilliant I thought.

Steve750

RMS Regular
OP
Steve750
Drives
750i
@gav525 I hate the thought of driving over there. Driving around London would be so stressful
I’d prefer going with a friend to pick up a car they bought and being a passenger lol

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
@gav525 I hate the thought of driving over there. Driving around London would be so stressful
I’d prefer going with a friend to pick up a car they bought and being a passenger lol

Is it not in Southampton though? If you're driving in London you're well lost lol.

Seriously driving over there is a breeze, most are very courteous and know the craic, not like over here.

And getting home from Southampton is simple, either up to the M40 or across to the M5 then join the M6. Turn left at Gretna. Drive for 90 miles or so til you see the ferry.

Steve750

RMS Regular
OP
Steve750
Drives
750i
Is it not in Southampton though? If you're driving in London you're well lost lol.

Seriously driving over there is a breeze, most are very courteous and know the craic, not like over here.

And getting home from Southampton is simple, either up to the M40 or across to the M5 then join the M6. Turn left at Gretna. Drive for 90 miles or so til you see the ferry.
Yeh it’s well known I’m bad at directions :monkey:

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I’ve only ever done it on my own, none of my mates are into cars. I imagine it would make it a bit less stressful having someone else with you!

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
I took Geoffo with me to collect my 200SX and he inconsiderately got pneumonia on the drive home. Spent a few weeks in hospital afterwards.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
I took the wife last time to collect the Wrangler. She promptly fell asleep for 6 hours and the radio didn't work. Cardiff to Stranraer at 50mph with nothing but my own thoughts. Terrifying.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Took my Dad last time. Was his first trip across to England for a car. Made sure he got to share the driving and he even brought some of his '80's road trip tapes with him and had the routes and all planned and printed out (even though we were going to be using the phone sat nav). Think he had more fun than I did :laughing:

natogreen16v

RMS Regular
Drives
Stuff
I flew to Leeds alone to pick up a MK4 R32 for a friend. Kicked the life out of it up to Cairnryan to the boat and dropped it off in Belfast for him. I had a great days craic.

Go do it and experience something new.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.