Anyone with VCDS/Vagcom, need help

Jake_A3

RMS Member
Drives
AudiA3TDI
Hi, just wondering if anyone with vagcom I can drive to pretty much everywhere, could help me out here as the big MOT is soon
A while back I took my steering, wheel air bag, steering angle sensor etc... all off my Audi a3 in order to change my ignition cylinder, and when putting it back together I put the steering wheel back on off centre, So when I was driving straight the wheel was held to the right a good 1/2 or 1/4 turn I didn't think much of it, but ever since I have had an esp light on, I got someone to read the fault and it came up saying the steering angle sensor had a mechanical fault or something along those lines, they suggested I get a new one! I thought maybe it might throwing up the error because my steering wheel was so unaligned, so I spent a good few hours yesterday trying to get it all back together straight as I could, and am now wondering if anyone could do me a huge favour and try to maybe read/reset the fault. Hoping its possible as would save me some much needed money!! I will pay of course for the hassle, Thanks(b)

Dandy

RMS Regular
Drives
It's possible that it is faulty, saw a boy do similar to yours before and he had damaged the ribbon cable, it had ripped it out as the steering wheel could turn more than the cable was able to.

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
Or, it could have lost its basic settings and needs reset. That happened on my Alhambra after replacing the ABS unit and the battery was off for a few hours.

Jake_A3

RMS Member
OP
J
Drives
AudiA3TDI
My battery was off for a good couple days when I was changing the ignition cylinder If I remember correctly. The steering wheel cant turn more than its supposed to atm?, when I was trying to put it back on straight the other day, I counted the amount of rotations I could go from full lock clockwise to full lock anti clockwise on the clock spring and then halved it, had the wheels sitting straight and once I put the steering wheel on it was centred fine its sitting straight and driving fine now so I'm hoping its just a case of being reset.^o)

Jake_A3

RMS Member
OP
J
Drives
AudiA3TDI
You have probably broken the clock spring with the wheel not being on straight.
I'm in Bangor, waiting for a cable coming next week.
Would there be any physical tells that its broken? seeing as its straight and all now?

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
The clock spring is a ribbon, if it unwound / over wound while you have the wheel off and then fitted the wheel incorrectly and steered from lock to lock its quite possible you snapped the ribbon, I would expect the airbag light to be on. Impossible to tell until codes are read.

2 options really, get codes read or load the parts cannon :grinning:

Jake_A3

RMS Member
OP
J
Drives
AudiA3TDI
The clock spring is a ribbon, if it unwound / over wound while you have the wheel off and then fitted the wheel incorrectly and steered from lock to lock its quite possible you snapped the ribbon, I would expect the airbag light to be on. Impossible to tell until codes are read.

2 options really, get codes read or load the parts cannon :grinning:
Hmm yea the ribbon inside the clock that's wound around? that rotates when u rotate the clock?? it looked fine when I had everything of, was rotating around fine etc..? only light is the esp one, getting the code read is my only hope then(y)

KJS

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Tiguan
As mentioned if your clock spring is broken then you would have Airbag warning light on and also cause issues with horn and your stalks from working. Hopefully its nothing serious once you've got it scanned.

Jake_A3

RMS Member
OP
J
Drives
AudiA3TDI
As mentioned if your clock spring is broken then you would have Airbag warning light on and also cause issues with horn and your stalks from working. Hopefully its nothing serious once you've got it scanned.
Thanks for clearing that up!! I'm having none of those issues so fingers crossed 😌

Neil_M

RMS Regular
Jake, I have OBD Eleven if you are stuck and only down in Templepatrick.

I should at the very least be able to read the codes, send them to you and clear them.

I can't claim to be an expert to do much more than that.

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
You can reset the steering angle sensor with the obdeleven too, using the access code in the video I posted. 40168

Jake_A3

RMS Member
OP
J
Drives
AudiA3TDI
Jake, I have OBD Eleven if you are stuck and only down in Templepatrick.

I should at the very least be able to read the codes, send them to you and clear them.

I can't claim to be an expert to do much more than that.
If you don't mind doing that for me that would be amazing! When would you be free?😁

Avant1

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi
Out of curiosity did the clock spring rotate while the wheel was off ?

Under the steering is a steering angle sensor that can kill itself and you’ll get an amber steering wheel on the dash . Comes up with the fault on vagcom J500 code 01309 if that’s the case eBay is the place to go £20/£25

But there is a calibration you can do

As below

Attachments

• 1D637441-9CFE-4AA6-B82A-8497DA4E330D.jpeg
    1D637441-9CFE-4AA6-B82A-8497DA4E330D.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 210