Are new cars losing their appeal?

aaflyer79

RMS Regular
Apart from my first car - second hand Fiat Punto, I’ve always bought new. My job demands long miles all year so I need something reliable and comfortable. Zero interest (or ability!) to fix anything going wrong on an older car and ‘happy‘ to offer x amount per month to BMW financial services and the remainder goes into a pot to refinance after 4 years. So, 118d - 330d - 335d - to current M2 Comp. Yes, there’s depreciation and I think if you go in with your eyes open - or at least that the salesperson will turn a profit, you get what you want, then for me PCP works. But ETTO

Steve750

RMS Regular
Drives
750i
You have a different opinion of cheap than I do! Lol

Seriously though that is just envy talking. I’d love some of those big barges you buy and you certainly get better value out of those than say something newer at similar money!
Thanks, the monthly parts bill is just the same as a lease deal anyway haha

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Best car I've ever owned and the best driving (imo of course) was my Evo VI. The modern stuff doesn't interest me really unless it's going to have the engagement and driving experience of the Evo. They say the GR Yaris is the modern Evo, that's a big statement and it will be interesting to see.

I guess anything that is modern and would be an experience to drive is stuff that is beyond my means such 911 GT3 RS and such like. Maybe an M2 Comp in a few years.

Age must be changing me as I currently find commuting in my Ranger quite a pleasant experience 🤷‍♂️

markmeus

RMS Regular
The issue with most new cars now is that you'd really only want to be owning them when they are relatively fresh, I'd not like to see the repair bills for some of the current models in 10 years time. Thinking of my leased Cupra - headlights at around £500 each, adjustable shocks at £300 odd, a TFT instrument clutster at dear knows what sorta money, a lot of stuff is going to be uneconomcial to repair much sooner than historically was the case.

_James_

RMS Regular
Drives
V50/M135i
They say the GR Yaris is the modern Evo, that's a big statement and it will be interesting to see.

Call me the cynic that I am, the GR Yaris reverence seems a bit manufactured/forced. Is it really that good or has the YouTube Motoring Press Cabal held secret meetings to scalp pricing by manufacturing hysteria around this little car?

Either way, I just don’t get hype.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
Call me the cynic that I am, the GR Yaris reverence seems a bit manufactured/forced. Is it really that good or has the YouTube Motoring Press Cabal held secret meetings to scalp pricing by manufacturing hysteria around this little car?

I hear ya, only time will tell. Engine reliability isn't getting a good rep on them so hype might not be so high soon.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira

Best test of this is ask me after I’ve had mine for x months or years! I was beaten into submission by the media. Lured by a cheap monthly and seduced on a test drive. By the car that is 😃

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Was at a set of lights the other day and there was a guy in a Merc beside me shouting "hey Mercedes". There was nobody in the car beside him and I didn't see a dog so assumed he was asking the car to do something for him.

Sat in a new MK8 golf recently. All this invisible swiping and touchscreen to control everything. No thanks, I quite enjoy fiddling with my old knob.

As long as I have DAB radio and the heater works I'm happy.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
The lack of tactile buttons is an irritant in the Etron for sure. At least the volume knob is a rotary one within easy reach. Adjusting the temperature is a pain in the arse on a touch screen.

Only recently came round to the merits of Apple CarPlay after using it in the Audi, I’ve ended up installing it in the Cayenne too. Brilliant job and genuinely easier and quicker to use than anything else I’ve tried over the years.

Haha perhaps... maybe it’s my lack of trust of Harris after he said he didn’t ‘get’ MX5’s the flipping heathen!!

407_hdi

RMS Regular
Drives
E-Class / Z4
Having every control on a touchscreen is a pain in the hole, only had one car with that and I hated it. Most distracting thing ever
On the subject of new cars there is very little that really appeals to me, everything is overloaded with tech and a bit too blingy. The easiest dash to read is an ordinary analogue one, it takes very little time to get used to where everything is and you can read it at a glance

markmeus

RMS Regular
I'd agree with the analoge being the easiest to read, the whole time I had the cupra 95% of the time it was displaying the ordinaly dials view, the virtual cockpit was a nice party piece but definetly not a dealbreaker, and it was a pain in the ass to change to km/h when going over the border, thats hidden deep in the settings.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Touch screens should be banned, they are equally distracting as looking at your phone. I have one in the Tipo and if I have to do anything that involves the touch screen other than basic stuff, I pull over.

aaflyer79

RMS Regular
Touch screens should be banned, they are equally distracting as looking at your phone. I have one in the Tipo and if I have to do anything that involves the touch screen other than basic stuff, I pull over.
I actually drifted away from the new A6 Avant as so much was touchscreen. I actually had a rant at my wife for touching the IDrive in my car. I have a hatred of fingerprints on any type of media, especially PC screens. I just can’t have it!

Digression - does anyone watch the German presenter on his YouTube Autofuegel (spelling?). More forensic than Joe Achilles and more soothing voice!

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
The newest car I have is a 2013 2.0 tdi A6 Avant. I hate it for its crap fuel economy (40mpg Max), its ****ty big OEM 20 inch wheels, soulless steering that’s far too light, uncomfortable seats, electronic handbrake, a multi media interface with pop up screen and a steering height adjustment lever that digs into my kneecap.

The oldest, which I love, is a 150k mile 2.5 2004 A4, which feels solid like a brick, does 43 mpg, has extremely comfortable seats, an fm radio and 6 CD player, and a proper handbrake.

I really detest modern cars. The only technological development I actually appreciate is the self dimming rear view mirror.

redxl77

RMS Regular
The generations which think new cars are losing their appeal are a lot of those who have been driving for the last 50, 40, 30, 20 even 10 years. For younger people just passing their test etc all of this blandness, lack of sticks/knobs, pedals, identikit looks is probably acceptable in their eyes and the manufacturers are believe it or not, pretty clever and most of the time they know what customers want. Many cars are evolving into very large heavy phones with 4 wheels.

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
I do love gadgets but agreed on touchscreen. Should either have to be stationary to use it or have someone in the passenger seat. I bought a JVC CarPlay unit a couple of years ago and while it’s been a godsend at times, the touchscreen only control means I barely touch it. Volume up or down on the steering wheel and that does the most of it from my perspective, anything else can wait.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I like the level of kit in my b7 Passat it's just about perfect. All the major stuff is still buttons heating, AC, blowers, demist, swap between radio satnav bluetooth etc. It's only really more advanced settings are touchscreen. I can see me holding onto for a long time I really don't like the newer stuff.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
The generations which think new cars are losing their appeal are a lot of those who have been driving for the last 50, 40, 30, 20 even 10 years. For younger people just passing their test etc all of this blandness, lack of sticks/knobs, pedals, identikit looks is probably acceptable in their eyes and the manufacturers are believe it or not, pretty clever and most of the time they know what customers want. Many cars are evolving into very large heavy phones with 4 wheels.
Fair point well made!

But we are customers too, are we not? I guess that the designs are following the directions that focus groups and feedback from surveys tell them they want. Most of the older generations probably won't engage with that type of market research but may be the more likely customers for the more performance orientated cars at least.

RevT

RMS Regular
I can’t fathom how BMW can make so many variants and still make money, there are soo many 2 / 4 series I can’t even work out what they are anymore.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Having every control on a touchscreen is a pain in the hole, only had one car with that and I hated it. Most distracting thing ever
On the subject of new cars there is very little that really appeals to me, everything is overloaded with tech and a bit too blingy. The easiest dash to read is an ordinary analogue one, it takes very little time to get used to where everything is and you can read it at a glance

It's surprising car safety bodies or government etc haven't dealt with that yet. Those huge screens in the likes of Tesla are mental. If you cannot use a phone whilst driving, no way should you be allowed to be operating a TV sized screen in the car whilst driving.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular

The less the driver has to do, the less they pay attention. Heard a Vauxhall ad this morning, car finds the space for you and parks itself. If you don't use your skills you lose them. Saying that there's plenty out there have no driving skills and never will.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
I've got to agree on just having touch screens in the car, a good balance of conventional buttons and switches are needed.

It quite a common theme on most reviews these days, manufacturers have really got it wrong.