Astra Coupe Turbo

cormac81

RMS Regular
OP
cormac81
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
One thing for sure its definitely old enough to be torturing me. Have an oil leak with no idea wheres its coming from. I think I have drove the car for a grand total of 15 miles but I really do enjoy having it.

IMG-20200926-WA0046.jpg

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I daily an 02 and to me it's modern as it's only the second car I've had for myself with pas and electrics, even has remote central locking :laughing:
Younger folk likely see it as old!

They do alright. Not even younger folk to be fair. Friends of ours couldn't believe the Cayenne is 12 and wasn't constantly in the garage getting fixed. At 5 years old they reckon a car is done and most switch them at 3.

Anything on a newer style English reg I would still consider as pretty new, which amazingly is now about 20 years old - the cut over for many classic policies.

When I bought my first MK2 Golf it was 15 years old back in '06 and that was considered a modern classic back then, had classic insurance and felt fairly old school compared to my daily, which was a new Astra H.

A 15 year old Golf today is a couple of years into MK5 production. Mad really!

Anyway good luck with the oil leak hunt! As it happens I dropped the A4 off to the workshop this weekend and it was smoking away at idle under the bonnet so pishing oil everywhere aswell lol. 'Classic' cars eh :laughing:

cormac81

RMS Regular
OP
cormac81
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
They do alright. Not even younger folk to be fair. Friends of ours couldn't believe the Cayenne is 12 and wasn't constantly in the garage getting fixed. At 5 years old they reckon a car is done and most switch them at 3.

Anything on a newer style English reg I would still consider as pretty new, which amazingly is now about 20 years old - the cut over for many classic policies.

When I bought my first MK2 Golf it was 15 years old back in '06 and that was considered a modern classic back then, had classic insurance and felt fairly old school compared to my daily, which was a new Astra H.

Anyway good luck with the oil leak hunt! As it happens I dropped the A4 off to the workshop this weekend and it was smoking away at idle under the bonnet so pishing oil everywhere aswell lol. 'Classic' cars eh :laughing:

Had that on the vRS was one of the many small black rubber hoses.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW

I bought a 95 Golf in 09 and several people commented on how I'd finally got a modern car lol Youngest cars I've bought were 10year old (both for the Mrs), have heard two people in work comment on how their cars were almost 10yr old so hadn't long left :laughing:

Sorry to hijack the thread Cormac :blush: When you getting the oil leak looked at? I'm sure you're busting to get it out a proper run.

cormac81

RMS Regular
OP
cormac81
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
I bought a 95 Golf in 09 and several people commented on how I'd finally got a modern car lol Youngest cars I've bought were 10year old (both for the Mrs), have heard two people in work comment on how their cars were almost 10yr old so hadn't long left :laughing:

Sorry to hijack the thread Cormac :blush: When you getting the oil leak looked at? I'm sure you're busting to get it out a proper run.

Its away now to get looked at, was hoping to bring it on the Driven run up the north coast on Saturday but it doesnt look like it right now. I will bring the octavia instead.

cormac81

RMS Regular
OP
cormac81
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
How are you getting on with this @cormac81 ?? Would I have seen this today on the Moria roundabout?
Got the car back today after getting to the root cause of poor running problems.

The oil leak was traced to one of the oil seals and the gearbox had to come out. Whilst at it the clutch was replaced, the original turned out to be absolutely fine.

However the car started to run worse and worse and after an unbelievable amount of chasing for the fault, it turned out to be a split hose going into the fuel pump! Such a simple fix much to the relief of the mechanic and myself.

The car is completely transformed and is running really well. However during the work it was discovered the turbo isn't in the greatest shape so its going back soon to get the turbo refurbed.

It needs a good going over after sitting up for a few months but I can't wait to get stuck back into it.
20210228_162925.jpg

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Do you know what springs and dampers are on it? I like the height it's sitting at.

I'll be doing probably new standard dampers (Sachs or KYB) and the 30mm Eibach springs. I'm not sure if that will take mine as low as this?

cormac81

RMS Regular
OP
cormac81
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Do you know what springs and dampers are on it? I like the height it's sitting at.

I'll be doing probably new standard dampers (Sachs or KYB) and the 30mm Eibach springs. I'm not sure if that will take mine as low as this?

I will hoke out the receipts and let you know the exact set up.

seanmooney

RMS Regular
When your at it I would go VXR turbo, very simple upgrade and dont think they are that dear.

You could always refurb the standard and flog on ebay.,

cormac81

RMS Regular
OP
cormac81
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
So I had been driving the astra out and about to try and establish any further problems. The joys of a car not being driven for 10 years! At a night I noticed the lights flickering and low and behold the battery light came on and the alternator started whining. So something else for the shopping list along with the turbo refurb which all will be sorted in the next week or 2.

I have been cleaning the car up again and today a 30 second job I replaced the number plate light. Got a genuine one for £5 delivered after finding out its the same part unit as fitted to the mk3 astra.
20210313_142336.jpg
20210313_142659.jpg
20210313_142716.jpg
20210307_171904.jpg