Attempt at a bobber

steenson

RMS Regular
Drives
misc 80's/90's
Well folks, bought this wee Kymco off @BLS and have had great fun tearing up the back garden but now the time has come to crack on.

This won’t be to everyone’s liking and a lot of people have asked why spend the time on something that isn’t from one of the big names, well why not it’s only a bit of fun at the end of the day...... until I can get a proper bike! Lol

So on further investigation she would have started life looking abit like this

57193EE6-52DD-4B5F-9236-6732DBFDDE02.jpeg

But, thankfully maybe for a 28 year old Asian import someone had been at her before and had painted her up like this

AB2835CF-B03C-46E0-BA94-BAF5F21D8B42.jpeg

Yep this is the photo that made me think yes I’ll have that!

So to the point we are now I’ve been doing a fair bit of research on the Mot and what I can get away with and what parts are good value and what’s just cheap tat. So with a clear vision in mind I’ve started stripping the beast and have ended up with it looking like this

A31A721E-FD9B-4A05-B955-BEAB952ABC25.jpeg

Look at that master rear subframe just begging to be cut off!!

Will try to keep the thread up to date, I’m anticipating needing pointed in the right direct like to who can redo my wheels?

Thanks

Andy

BLS

RMS Regular
Drives
bmw
Well folks, bought this wee Kymco off @BLS and have had great fun tearing up the back garden but now the time has come to crack on.

This won’t be to everyone’s liking and a lot of people have asked why spend the time on something that isn’t from one of the big names, well why not it’s only a bit of fun at the end of the day...... until I can get a proper bike! Lol

So on further investigation she would have started life looking abit like this

View attachment 236059

But, thankfully maybe for a 28 year old Asian import someone had been at her before and had painted her up like this

View attachment 236060

Yep this is the photo that made me think yes I’ll have that!

So to the point we are now I’ve been doing a fair bit of research on the Mot and what I can get away with and what parts are good value and what’s just cheap tat. So with a clear vision in mind I’ve started stripping the beast and have ended up with it looking like this

View attachment 236061

Look at that master rear subframe just begging to be cut off!!

Will try to keep the thread up to date, I’m anticipating needing pointed in the right direct like to who can redo my wheels?

Thanks

Andy
If george was on here he would have lent you his grinder lol
Get cutting mate and enjoy it.

johnm

RMS Regular
Would you not be tempted to just use that to get your license while building a 600, one that you'll be able to keep and not get tired off?

steenson

RMS Regular
OP
steenson
Drives
misc 80's/90's
@BLS oh It’ll be cut up by the weekend! Plenty to come off it including that big tank and bars.

Last edited:

steenson

RMS Regular
OP
steenson
Drives
misc 80's/90's
@johnm she’s only so I can get back used to a bike again and thats why I’m buying stuff I can reuse, last time I was on a bike on the toad it didn’t end to well although the lady in the ambulance was lovely! Lol

I don’t necessarily want the fasted bike in the land but do want to progress to the likes of a Enfield or triumph powered hard tail at some point, would absolutely love a sportster but I don’t think I’d fit on one having short tree stumps for legs

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Looks like a nice wee project. You could probably get away with blasting the wheels and painting them black. I'd prefer flat bars personally, but either would work. Bin that exhaust too.

steenson

RMS Regular
OP
steenson
Drives
misc 80's/90's
Looks like a nice wee project. You could probably get away with blasting the wheels and painting them black. I'd prefer flat bars personally, but either would work. Bin that exhaust too.

Thanks, want someone that knows what they're doing to go over the wheels make sure of even tension on the spokes etc, yea the big bars and exhaust are getting binned!

Done more stripping this evening and had a wee mock up -

4Rh2zt22Q%GVZMKJvQRRxQ.jpg

This is the pile of rubbish stuff that won't be getting reused.

And here is a wee mock up with the tank and seat -

+H3YSHGJT6i9xvqxqvTjdA.jpg

2XCMr39iRpuG5%lO51RztA.jpg

Yes the seat has flames and is brown, not the original plan but its a proper LaRosa seat and it was a bargain on eBay. Wiring harness should slim down nicely as I remove all the stuff i don't want, contemplating getting rid of the electric start too as kicking it over is very satisfying even if it is only a wee 125.

Any ideas or tips are appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

steenson

RMS Regular
OP
steenson
Drives
misc 80's/90's
Well I got pretty bored of the weather dictating when I could get a look at this so.....

Into the house we go.....

A few days pass and a trip up to Antrim and what has to be the best customer service I have ever got resulted in this delivery this morning

She’s a 1981 ironhead sportster, love everything about it and have a few wee bits on the way, should I start a new thread or continue with this one??