Attempting To Daily a 1930 Ford Model A

althebass

RMS Regular
OP
A
Drives
Model A Ford
This is incredible! Passed this today in Bangor/Ballyholme I think? I was rubbernecking in my 2017 Focus! Haha

Was loving the look of it! Great to see it being a daily
Thanks!
Yeah took the wife and kids out for a bit of a tour round today.
Made it over the hills to Carryduff and back with no issues other than the steering getting a bit heavy and notchy on the way back.
It’ll be getting a good grease and oil change at the weekend, that should sort it hopefully!
Most of the moving parts on the chassis need greased every 500 miles, along with an oil change!
There’s no filter so that’s the service interval 😄

Ali

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Most people are calibrated to the way cars have been in the last 40 years or so. Greasing joints and changing oils that often would be alien to many. It's not a bit of wonder that you described the owners as a bit mad but I'm sure driving it around is a right buzz, totally different.

althebass

RMS Regular
OP
A
Drives
Model A Ford
Hi!

Things have been going well with the Model A this week.
On Tuesday I took it into work to grease the king pins, spring shackles, brake pivots and rear wheel bearings.
Here’s the front driver’s side:

001FA747-2394-46B0-9017-85390CA32C86.jpeg

On the left is the brake drum backing plate.
Of the horizontal things on the right the bottom is the axle, in the middle the steering arm and at the top the brake pivot.

The steering pivots on the king pin which goes down vertically through a hole in the axle. It’s greased with 2 grease nipples which hopefully you can see just above and below the axle.

Something noteworthy on the Model A is that the brakes are actuated by a pushrod going down through a hollow kingpin via a cam on the brake pivot at the top.

I had to change one of the grease nipples, which are of the ‘press in’ type.
I call them the ‘hammer in’ ones 😁

BB71C631-F025-4045-966E-3319BD61702B.jpeg

The greasing and topping up the steering box sorted out the notchy steering.
The box takes 250w tractor type oil (which is the equivalent of the old 600w recommended in the manual.)
The gearbox and rear axle take this too.
Interestingly, the heavy weight of the oil in the gearbox helps with up shifts as it slows down the gears more quickly to match the input speed. I’m finding that I can actually change up faster when it’s cold then when the car warms up I have to give a bit more time on up shifts for the gears to slow to meshing speed.

I also took the chance to get the wipers sorted. I had a working motor from some spares in work as I mentioned before but the spindle is too big.
(new motor at the bottom

153998A8-63BB-4A5B-83BB-46681D10B146.png

Luckily I was able to strip the motor and get the spindle out:

8A690A33-7764-44CB-975E-1751D2491C08.jpeg

90BACF13-A7E8-453D-87CF-60A073A91DC5.jpeg

The idea being that I can machine the end down a bit in the lathe to fit my wiper.

0FDCD910-D33A-4A7E-B62B-0B1CCD18DF2D.jpeg

1BBC2200-3393-4662-B9C3-FD1EE5163246.jpeg

39 thou ish off should be perfect.
Set the DRO for 35 and took a cut.

EAE84DA6-A0CB-4E11-8F26-B362C9A9BF03.jpeg

39F7ECE6-080F-4C99-8238-195860DF6059.jpeg

Measured up and it wasn’t bad. Can’t remember the figure but it had taken a bit less than the 35 thou target.
I’d put this down too the speed not being quite high enough and the cutter shoving and flexing the piece out of the way a bit.
Not entirely sure, I’m not really a machinist so any feedback welcomed!

I checked that I was taking enough length off against my original motor:

9BDF3BCC-7996-4406-B248-A418E9967C5A.jpeg

Sped the lathe up a bit and took the smaller second cut which went smoothly. Did a wee chamfer on the end and it was ready to go back together!

Only problem was the new motor was a bit bigger and wouldn’t quite fit on the same mounts.
Drilled and tapped some new holes and it bolted in and, importantly fitted the wiper.

91B4E147-602D-4516-97B0-B4875F3D2864.jpeg

I changed the engine oil, repacked the front wheel bearings with grease and adjusted the brakes up too while I was there.
Next weekend I’ll check/top up the gearbox and back axle.

I wasn’t able to grease the track rod ends/drag link ends as they have a type of grease nipple that doesn’t engage and lock on with the gun. I’ll hopefully change them for the better click on type soon. Might have to drill and tap the holes just.

Drove from Bangor to Downpatrick today via Comber/Killyleagh and back the other way through Sainfield/Carryduff.
No hassles at all, just plenty of smiles from the kids kneeling up looking for baddies out the back window and from people outside who like the car.
50 seems to be a comfy speed for all and the car feels like it would just keep doing it forever. It’s relaxing too not having to worry about overtaking or making good progress down the road.
It’s much more just chill and see the countryside until we’re there type motoring.

Loving driving this car!

Ali

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
Was behind you today at knocknagoney lights and surprised how nippy it was, couldn’t get your attention as I was in the truck heading left and all I could see was the fur coats 😉. Looks well out on the road.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Your other type of grease nipple might be for a different type of gun. The kind that you just push straight, a bit like a plunger syringe type of thing. Teclamet was a common brand and they are still easy to get hold of. Have a nosey around your bosses place if he is into his vintage stuff.

Chris tii

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Just found this thread. A great read. Fair play to you! I look forward to seeing it drive around Bangor.

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
The greasing and topping up the steering box sorted out the notchy steering.
The box takes 250w tractor type oil (which is the equivalent of the old 600w recommended in the manual.)
The gearbox and rear axle take this too.
Interestingly, the heavy weight of the oil in the gearbox helps with up shifts as it slows down the gears more quickly to match the input speed. I’m finding that I can actually change up faster when it’s cold then when the car warms up I have to give a bit more time on up shifts for the gears to slow to meshing speed.

Are you fully double de-clutching or are you trying to rev-match the gears?

My dad lives just round the corner from your work and one of you might have machined some little bits for one of my 7s a couple of years ago. That's a nice picture with Basil's 7 as well, last saw it a year ago when we were still allowed to go racing : unamused:

althebass

RMS Regular
OP
A
Drives
Model A Ford
i am sure 45/50 mph feels like it’s flyin
There’s definitely a deep breath turning into some corners!
If it hits a bump mid corner the back end takes a step to the side which at first feels like you’re going to spin. I’ve learned to just let it do it now rather than try to counter steer.
Are you fully double de-clutching or are you trying to rev-match the gears?

My dad lives just round the corner from your work and one of you might have machined some little bits for one of my 7s a couple of years ago. That's a nice picture with Basil's 7 as well, last saw it a year ago when we were still allowed to go racing : unamused:
Changing up I haven’t found the need to double clutch, just timing it right for a smooth change.
Changing down for me it’s right foot on the brake then clutch into neutral, rev, clutch into the lower gear all with the left foot (centre throttle).

I’m looking forward to bringing the Model A out to get muddy this year 😃

Took a gentle drive down the peninsula today to walk the dog at Ballywalter and let the kids run about the pirate ship.

66B2972C-769C-4BC0-9CDB-D05D3664AC75.jpeg

6C3EF85E-BC58-4EAB-A169-85893B21AE80.jpeg

Drove across a wee bit on the way home and up the middle way via Greyabbey and Carrowdore.

9651A022-A5CC-4693-B5A8-836327577101.jpeg

A5161FCC-046B-4CF4-9FD9-26FDF30DCBB6.jpeg

No problems at all with the car and it got loads of smiles, waves and pictures taken when it’s parked.

If it looks a bit streaky it’s because I’ve completely lashed the whole car in ACF-50 which I got in a quart bottle with a pump action spray bottle to put it on. I let it run into all the seams and loads down into the widow cavities in the doors and rear quarters. I also sprayed it on the bumpers and all the chrome.

In a few days I’ll spray some onto a cloth and apply it evenly to the entire car.

Back to work tomorrow so all being well I’ll be heading off in this in the morning.

Ali

althebass

RMS Regular
OP
A
Drives
Model A Ford
Hi!

4 successful days commuting out of 4 attempts this week (I took the M3 for a run to work on Thursday to keep the battery happy).

No serious problems with the Model A, started from cold each day and just put-putted away on the 6-7 mile drive to and from work.

E4E6FAE3-697B-473A-8E0B-59EAA0DF1A19.jpeg

The LED headlight bulbs however have been flickering a wee bit when on dipped beam. Not on and off, but from dipped to main so I suspect the switch maybe? Will have a look but for now have just been driving on main beam everywhere 🤘🏻
Take that xenon c*nts! 🤪

The other thing I did was install a new thermostat for winter driving.
Can you spot it?

F362D46F-FA8C-4B82-9F11-94792E2EC283.jpeg

Gave her a good hoke on the way home and when I got there it smelled about 85/90 degrees 😁
That should help with the fuel economy a bit, and maybe even the weather conditions inside!

Ali

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I think it's corrugated black plastic, not duct tape.