Audi 8L s3 Quattro Goodwood Green

BabyCraig_

RMS Regular
Well most of you will know this car pretty well!

Decided a few weeks ago that I would move my 535d on and go back to a hot hatch.

After looking for 197's, clio 200s, type Rs I contacted @Woodcutter too see if he still had his S3 for sale! Turned out he did and was a gent to deal with!

Headed to up to collect the motor and came home happy! Car drives fantastically and handles really well... Complete change too the semi auto 5 series mind!

Finally got a chance too give it an anachem treating this morning and throw my plate onto it.....

IMG_20210710_154319.jpg
IMG_20210710_154331.jpg

IMG_20210710_154348.jpg

IMG_20210710_154405.jpg

Car cleans up really well for being 20 years old!

Plans are too keep it as close to standard as possible but a few bits:

- Firstly the bodywork needs a bit of a tidy up, few age related surface rust in the usual places so it's booked in for the 13th Sept!

-Potentially a subtle drop (eibach), spacers and freshen up suspension, along with decent discs and pads but I'm very torn about keeping it standard!

I'll try keep this as updated as possible over the next few months!

Wilseyvr6

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk3 VR6
Enjoy! I have one as well, not to many about! Mines is standard but keep thinking about subtle drop and spacers as they look well

BabyCraig_

RMS Regular
OP
B
Always liked this. Looks so good on green!

The 4D plates are a bit modern for it just imo!
Yeah was thinking didn't look right!

I've a set of metro plates in the house but I don't like to be hypocritical 😂

I'll maybe try get a set of pressed plates or normal font made up when everywhere reopens

Booked in to get the aircon regased and checked too on Wednesday... Its toastie in the current climate 🥵

Con

RMS Regular
Drives
JDM Honda Del So
Cup Holder is bust on my 8L 130 TDi Sport

Have you a link

Always loved the Green in these

Attachments

• 20210509_165212.jpg
    20210509_165212.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 30

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Simple little ebay addition.... More cup holders 😂

View attachment 329168

Also thew on the metro plates!
Pricing up eibach springs and new shocks.... Debating a track day in it too... So any suggestions for discs and pads?

I’d Bilstein shocks and I think Apex(?) springs on mine which I thought sat a bit more evenly than Eibachs and H&Rs. There’s a thread on my old S3 here somewhere.

1D80E935-A0FF-44F0-B88E-B7C8B0CE4781.jpeg

I never took mine to somewhere really hard on brakes like Kirkistown but it did three long weekend Nurburgring trips and two of them were on a set of Brembo grooved discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads. I also had braided lines and Motul RBF600 brake fluid. I’d a set of Goodyear Eagle F1s on it too which lasted well, although wouldn’t be anywhere as good as a more dedicated track tyre.

AA2C2A86-BC3C-41CA-AC14-997A05480005.jpeg
76A55DB4-FF74-4DF7-B73F-0EFECE7AA497.jpeg

BabyCraig_

RMS Regular
OP
B
No real updates, have had a bit of a readjustment coming from the comfort/luxury of the BMW, toying with whether I wanted a daily I actually have to drive if that makes sense! It’s a class car but it’s a real drive…which after 12hr night shift can be annoying….or I’m lazy!

So decided to go for a skelp today to see if I made friends with it, went for a decent drive in the good weather as I’ve mainly been running up and down to Belfast in it!

It’s an incredibly capable wee car, it was a complete hoot on some B roads today, made me genuinely smile and would run away from a lot of stuff…bags of power and grip!

86551698-C6FA-49A9-AF85-2A70BAA8B90E.jpeg

Honestly until today I was swaying to drive for a month or two and move her on for something more comfy…but I just don’t think I’d get such a capable car for sub 5k???(including body work and some subtle mods).

I’ve it booked in for the body work tidy up, which is probably going to be a good bit of work to get it 100% mint, which if I go that route I’ll invest in getting it all done!

Then toying with a miltek/basic breathing and replacing shocks+ springs but being a daily would it be annoying?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Something more comfy??? It's the most comfortable car in the world! :cool:

Has someone thrown cheap suspension on it?

Bilstein + Eibach work really well on these. At least three options depending on comfort/drive priority. B8 is what I had most of the time in mine.

I only ever had the standard exhaust in mine. It's good.

The Miltek does sound nice. With the Miltek there's the option of a "resonated" system, that's the one of you're worried about cabin noise. If you're going down that route then get that option for a daily.

Track use is a whole different discussion :innocent:

Enjoy the car :cool:

Last edited:

BabyCraig_

RMS Regular
OP
B
@svensktoppen

no no cars on standard suspension, playing about with seating position just! Regasing the climate control will help!

Recommend anywhere to brough suspension and exhausts? I’m a touch clueless!

HILL9N3GTI

RMS Regular
fantastic little car look forward to seeing what you do it. although seeing it modified would be the way forward imo plus the Goodwood green is a stunning colour
health to enjoy.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
@svensktoppen

no no cars on standard suspension, playing about with seating position just! Regasing the climate control will help!

Recommend anywhere to brough suspension and exhausts? I’m a touch clueless!
Definitely get the aircon sorted :cool:

Standard suspension will be pretty done for by now.

I got most things from here, Julian is good to talk to as well and gives sensible advice.

Bilstein B6 or B8 dampers are all you need for road use.

I had the B8 on the S3 and they worked really well for me. They are more performance oriented.

I have the B6 on the T-5R. They are still performance dampers, just toned down a notch from the B8. A good compromise for you perhaps.

Either way you can keep the standard springs, or go for lowering springs like Eibach. Lowering springs will be harder than standard springs just because of the reduced travel.

Lowering springs like Eibach go really well with the B8 dampers.

You could go all out for adjustable coilovers like the Bilstein B16 or a KW kit. But that's much more expensive. I ran B16 on my S3 for a while and they were fantastic performance wise but a bit much for a daily driver to be honest.

If you are doing suspension then it's worth considering anti-rollbars. They won't affect ride quality but will sharpen up the handling. Have a look at the Whiteline kits on that same site above.

Finally, while in there, after 20+ years it's worth looking at the suspension bushes if they haven't been done. In your case, standard OEM rubber bushes.

Personally I'd look at that before exhausts.

Either way, just have fun and enjoy the car :cool:

Last edited:

BabyCraig_

RMS Regular
OP
B
Yea that’s my thoughts, handling as it has stacks of power as is…mainly to freshen things up!

Body work will be the first port of call!

BabyCraig_

RMS Regular
OP
B
@Lyons really? Can’t be many about!

Funny a black one drove past my brother in Bangor last night…never seen it before in my life!

Definitely doesn’t look 21 years old!

Front arches, roof rails, boot lid and drivers lower door need paint.
Rear arches potentially too but I’m toying with leaving them until they are a little worse…being very fussy picking up on them!