Audi A6 MMI issue (2011)

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
Hello folks,

Needing some advice for my brother in law. He has a 2011 Audi A6 S line Avant. Recently started giving him issues with the MMI. Initially it wouldnt play radio or media, not it wont work and says “MMI overheated...” and then switches off. Any idea on how to fix/cure this? I have tried the youtube reset using the MMI buttons within the car, but it still wont work.

Any ideas? Tried google but it appears they may have an issue with 2011 suffering from extreme heat or cold (neither are entirely applicable in N.I), and said about an Audi upgrade.

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

Colin

Boksic

RMS Regular
Not sure where you're at, but I have the software update DVD's if you wanted to give it a go?
They say the system can brick though so I'm not sure what you're willing to risk (or not). I had no problems with mine using them.
Haven't read up much on the 2011 version but I'm assuming you're still C6 shape like my own. Check for water ingress around the amps and stuff in the boot if it's of any help?

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
OP
collyirwin11
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
When I was looking yesterday, it was bone dry in the rear boot cubby hole, but the fan was running even though it hadn’t been switched on at that stage. I don’t know enough about electrics or any audio stuff to make any judgement about the dvd’s, but I know he is concerned, as it now wont work at all. He mentioned the speakers are also making random bangs/surges/thumps (not sure on the technical term)

Boksic

RMS Regular
When I was looking yesterday, it was bone dry in the rear boot cubby hole, but the fan was running even though it hadn’t been switched on at that stage. I don’t know enough about electrics or any audio stuff to make any judgement about the dvd’s, but I know he is concerned, as it now wont work at all. He mentioned the speakers are also making random bangs/surges/thumps (not sure on the technical term)

I had a bit of that at one point with the Bose amp getting a bit wet. If it isn't working I'd unplug the amp and whatever is handy removed and fire it into your hot press for a couple of days to help dry out. Unless you're confident enough to get the lids off stuff and get contact cleaner or similar and clean away at whatever may have been dripped on?

If you're getting the pops and interference etc then something's definitely not right in the amp I'd say. @Cartunes can probably advise better all the same. I'd be drying and cleaning all that I can first anyway. Doesn't take much water to mess with them!

Cartunes

RMS Regular
Drives
Schkodah
I had a bit of that at one point with the Bose amp getting a bit wet. If it isn't working I'd unplug the amp and whatever is handy removed and fire it into your hot press for a couple of days to help dry out. Unless you're confident enough to get the lids off stuff and get contact cleaner or similar and clean away at whatever may have been dripped on?

If you're getting the pops and interference etc then something's definitely not right in the amp I'd say. @Cartunes can probably advise better all the same. I'd be drying and cleaning all that I can first anyway. Doesn't take much water to mess with them!
Dry electronics are happy electronics kids! 🤣