Audi A7 gearbox rattle?

Wokkawokka

RMS Member
Drives
Audi A7
Hi all, I have a 2015 A7 with 50k it’s the 272 Quattro with 7 spd s-tronic gearbox.

I happened to have the passenger window down and noticed a rattle from underneath the car. It’s worse when cold, engine is super quiet so I don’t believe it’s chain related.

I also get a jolt forward after coming to a stop. Like a very small jolt but enough to notice it… Gearbox was serviced by Audi at 39500 by previous owner. Anyone had experience with this kinda noise and found a cause??

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Does it happen every time? If not, might be worth taking a warranty out at Agnews!

KevM

RMS Regular
We do DSG Flywheels in work every other week. The video was away before i had the chance to hear yours though

The jolt forward can be a bad Mechatronics unit, but it wouldnt be related to the rattle. Unless the jolts have been bad & wrecked the flywheel?

Wokkawokka

RMS Member
OP
W
Drives
Audi A7
Does it happen every time? If not, might be worth taking a warranty out at Agnews!
I bought the car in England 5 months ago, it has warranty but I’m reading the dual mass flywheel is a wear and tear component (in a manual anyway).
We do DSG Flywheels in work every other week. The video was away before i had the chance to hear yours though
Did that link work?? It didn’t work for me, I’ll repost it

It’s very clear from 30 seconds

The jolt forward can be a bad Mechatronics unit, but it wouldnt be related to the rattle. Unless the jolts have been bad & wrecked the flywheel?
Not overly bad but noticeable. A friend has an A7 and his is the same with 30k so I thought it was a characteristic 🤷🏼‍♂️

Wokkawokka

RMS Member
OP
W
Drives
Audi A7
Well it’s been to Audi who had it over a week and they can’t find a fault with it… They can’t hear the rattle but they can’t run it on the ramp either. It has warranty until April 22 so I hope it goes before then if it’s catastrophic!! A dsg rattle seems common enough on the google 🤷🏼‍♂️

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Audi (Belfast) are useless - i went to them about slippage in my gearbox (other car) and they had it for a few days at least and were not able to replicate the problem. I took the "master tech" out with me there and then upon collection and within minutes i demonstrated the slippage. Audi will just want to replace the whole gearbox instead of actually doing some fault finding.

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
The problem with dealers (and I’m in one) is the guys on the service desk really should have the customer go out to the car with the tech to demonstrate the problem first hand but usually staffing or lack of workshop or customer time prohibits this. I’ve wasted many hours chasing my tail until the customer demonstrates exactly what the problem is.

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
Where in the country are you located? There is guy in Ballygawley good with these cars are there is also ASR in Lurgan that would be worth a call into.

Wokkawokka

RMS Member
OP
W
Drives
Audi A7
Yes I spoke with ASR I'm going to get it booked in with them in the coming weeks. It seems to be getting worse.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Audi (Belfast) are useless - i went to them about slippage in my gearbox (other car) and they had it for a few days at least and were not able to replicate the problem. I took the "master tech" out with me there and then upon collection and within minutes i demonstrated the slippage. Audi will just want to replace the whole gearbox instead of actually doing some fault finding.

If it's under warranty, often that can make the most sense ( if they're even sure the fault lies within that part )

Part of the problem is, most people working in dealers are clueless and have no ability to diagnose faults. Although it's not made easy when cars are so bloody complicated now....but as dealers, with dealer training and backing/tech support, they really should be the elite, not the kiwk fit level or lower.