Audi AMI iPhone Not Supported

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
When I connect my iPhone 6S to the AMI in my car it recognises it (changes from “not connected”), but says “not supported”. I did a bit of googling and there are a LOT of cases of people saying iOS 11 has affected the connection, so I assumed this was the case. I updated from 11.3.1 to 11.4 thinking the update might fix the glitch, but to no avail.

However, yesterday I plugged Mrs Lyons’ 6S in (also 11.3.1) and it works!! The phone is recognised straight away with no bother.

I’ve tried resetting the MMI and a couple of other suggestions, but to no avail.

Anyone any ideas? I’ve no idea why one phone works yet the other doesn’t!

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Worth a try?

I solved this issue with the following steps:

1. Disconnect usb/lightning cable from your phone

2. Powercycle your phone by powering off and powering on.

3. Open Apple Music and play any downloaded song. You must have at least one song in your Music App. If not, sync one song from iTunes or download from iTunes Store.

4. Connect USB/lightning cable while music still playing on phone.

5. Watch and listen as the audio magically transfers from your phone to your car audio.

Tip: If you’re Spotify user, remember to follow the same procedures by starting up the Music app first. I was unable to play any audio from my phone, regardless Music, Spotify, YouTube and etc. It somehow resolved after following the steps above.

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
First thought was the cable but then it works for Mrs Lyons' phone with same iOS so that is strange.
Neither my wifes iPhone 7 nor my 10 would connect to the AMI in our A4 Avant - same error "not supported" however @ruairi83 hooked me up with a white collared cable which works perfect.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Worth a try?

I solved this issue with the following steps:

1. Disconnect usb/lightning cable from your phone

2. Powercycle your phone by powering off and powering on.

3. Open Apple Music and play any downloaded song. You must have at least one song in your Music App. If not, sync one song from iTunes or download from iTunes Store.

4. Connect USB/lightning cable while music still playing on phone.

5. Watch and listen as the audio magically transfers from your phone to your car audio.

Tip: If you’re Spotify user, remember to follow the same procedures by starting up the Music app first. I was unable to play any audio from my phone, regardless Music, Spotify, YouTube and etc. It somehow resolved after following the steps above.

That was 1 of the things I tried.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
First thought was the cable but then it works for Mrs Lyons' phone with same iOS so that is strange.
Neither my wifes iPhone 7 nor my 10 would connect to the AMI in our A4 Avant - same error "not supported" however @ruairi83 hooked me up with a white collared cable which works perfect.

Aye I was sure it would be the cable until I tried hers! Makes no sense!

When you tried it initially what cable did you have?

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP

Carson had yellow collar cable but needed the white collar cable as different chips in each.

Yeah bit strange one IPhone 6s works and the other doesn’t. If both didn’t work I’d say it was cable. Back up your iPhone Ian and wipe it completely and try from there.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Carson had yellow collar cable but needed the white collar cable as different chips in each.

Yeah bit strange one IPhone 6s works and the other doesn’t. If both didn’t work I’d say it was cable. Back up your iPhone Ian and wipe it completely and try from there.

Wiped it there, but sadly didn’t work :sob:. Have you any white cables at the minute? It’ll kill me if that doesn’t fix it but!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
I just use a 30pin lead and apple 30pin to lightning adapter.

I assume the white one is the latest?

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
I just use a 30pin lead and apple 30pin to lightning adapter.

I assume the white one is the latest?
There is different colour version for different AMIs and phone. Yellow wouldn’t work on my old iPhone 6s or IPhone 8. I needed white cable, I tried the white today on the new IPhone 8 and worked perfect. I don’t have NAV though.It’s either yellow or white you need but can’t say which one. There was green collar but that was replaced by yellow.

I have both here if your near me anytime soon you can try them.
If you can pop into Belfast Audi Parts. Ask for Pat he is Parts manager and he usually has a spare of each for exact reason.
Once you know what you need say you will
Be back to buy then Buy online for cheaper.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
@Carson what part of the world are you in? Would maybe meet and try your cable if you wouldn’t mind, depending where you are?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Aye that would be great if you wouldn’t mind? I work in Dunmurry so could nip in whenever suits.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
So, thanks to Carson for letting me try his white collar cable, but sadly my phone still doesn’t work with it. So it must be something in the phone. Absolutely no idea what the craic is with it, but it’s doing my head in!

I can’t even swap phones with the wife as hers has a cracked screen, and it seems OTT buying a new phone just so it works in the car!

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
So, thanks to Carson for letting me try his white collar cable, but sadly my phone still doesn’t work with it. So it must be something in the phone. Absolutely no idea what the craic is with it, but it’s doing my head in!

I can’t even swap phones with the wife as hers has a cracked screen, and it seems OTT buying a new phone just so it works in the car!
Only other option is to try a Yellow Collar cable. If that doesn't work then your phone is 100% the problem. I suspect its phone for some strange reason. Have you ever has charging port replaced? as a non genuine one might not be compatible with the chip in the audi lightning cable.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.