Audi e-tron NHS lease deal

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Is anyone else eligible for this?

We have sent all of the paperwork off now and hopefully it will arrive in June. We had a Renault Zoe a few years ago which I loved as a city car so I’m very excited about this as it’s a £60k Audi this time for only £306 a month and that includes, insurance for up to 4 people, tyres, servicing and tax(if there is any) plus basically no running costs! 8000 miles a year allowance.

It’s the entry level Technik 50 model with the smaller battery pack but still has a claimed 186 mile range, 320ps and 400lb/ft so it should shift rightly. My wife does about 100 miles a week so it should suit well and the furthest we would be going would be a 200 mile round trip to Donegal a few times a year but there are plenty of fast chargers on the route which can add up to 80% range in 20 mins.

I think it’s a great looking car and it’s suits perfectly as we needed a bigger wider car for our 3rd baby arriving in late summer. Reviews say it’s bigger than a Q5 but smaller than a Q7 so it should be big enough. I’ll probably not get to drive it much though as I do around 600 mile a week in my old oil burner :weary_face:

C184FF44-C84C-477C-8F1E-521AA35B820E.jpeg
1FFD8CB7-6AEB-460B-8C9F-17A359F3F14B.jpeg

Last edited:

Burt2000

RMS Regular
OP
Burt2000
Drives
Type RA Ltd
It’s an amazing deal I think, almost too good!? It’s a salary sacrifice deal so comes out of your gross wages tax free and costs approx £300 in net pay but when you add up what you would be paying for say a normal modern family car, maybe £200 loan/finance, tax, insurance, monthly fuel, servicing, tyres, depreciation etc it really is a no brainer!

There must be some sort of government incentive behind the scenes to be able to offer it at that price point. My wife said all of the doctors in her place have them ordered too lol

Burt2000

RMS Regular
OP
Burt2000
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Right! So how does it work? Have you to pay tax to the HMRC? Any idea how much?^o)

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Thats class - without working out too much detail but my S3 on fuel alone is costing me £280-300 a month at least

Burt2000

RMS Regular
OP
Burt2000
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I think this scheme might be different because it’s electric and therefore falls into the ultra low emissions category.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
You'll pay tax on the BIK. It's pretty low for electric cars anyway?

Looks a good deal alright - they'd nothing of use when we last looked but with the tax on electric cars being so low it might be a good option for us next year. Assuming I can trust the mrs to charge the damn thing.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
OP
Burt2000
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Yeah I asked my wife there and she said because it’s electric it’s some sort of government incentive and tax doesn’t apply or something along those lines but she will phone HR pay department just to double check

Vtec Phil

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2
you need to be on NHS payroll as it comes out of you salary.

if she speaks to Barbara or May in the car leasing team there based in Ards hospital as its the south Eastern trust that runs the car leasing scheme for all the trusts.

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
My wife works in the NHS, had briefly considered going down this route, but read there could be pension implications in the long term, not sure how relevant the below is but worth considering.

some details below taken from: NHS lease scheme - Page 2 - Car Buying - PistonHeads

Someone on the previous thread asked me to explain how an NHS lease reduces your pension, with full figures, so I'lll have a go.

The 2015 pension scheme, which anyone under around 57 years old is now on, is a career average based scheme. It is calculated by dividing your annual salary after each financial year by 54, and that amount goes into a 'pot'. You will have extra pots after every subsequent financial year. Each pot is revalued every year, at 1.5% above inflation, so if inflation was 2% in the last year, all the pots are revalued by 3.5%. Once you retire, all the pots are added up, and the total is paid to you annually.

As an example, someone earning 40K throughout their career of 10 years would gat the following pension (ignoring any future inflation):

Year 1: 40,000/54 = £740 compounded by 1.5% for 9 years = £846.11
Year 2: 40,000/54 = £750 compounded by 1.5% for 8 years = £833.60
Year 3: 40,000/54 = £750 compounded by 1.5% for 7 years = £821.29
Year 4: 40,000/54 = £750 compounded by 1.5% for 6 years = £809.15
Year 5: 40,000/54 = £750 compounded by 1.5% for 5 years = £797.19
Year 6: 40,000/54 = £750 compounded by 1.5% for 4 years = £785.41
Year 7: 40,000/54 = £750 compounded by 1.5% for 3 years = £773.80
Year 8: 40,000/54 = £750 compounded by 1.5% for 2 years = £762.37
Year 9: 40,000/54 = £750 compounded by 1.5% for 1 year = £751.10
Year 10: 40,000/54 = £750 compounded by 1.5% for 0 years = £740

Once you add the 10 pots up, it gives an annual retirement income of £7920.02

If someone takes out an NHS car lease of £300/month, that means their salary drops by £3600 to £36,400. So the pot that year will drop from £740 to £650, a £90 decrease, and will be decreased by the length of the lease e.g. 3 year lease = £90x3 = £180 less a year in NHS pension. If a person has 30 years left in work before retiring, that £180 would have been rebalanced every year by at lease 1.5%. That gives £240 less a year.

£240 doesn't sound that much, but that's £4800 on a 20 year retirement, and if you have multiple leases if can add up to much more than that.
It MAY be worth it for higher rate tax payers to take put an NHS lease, but I wouldn't do it as a 20% tax payer myself.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
OP
Burt2000
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I think her pension drops by approx £100 for each year of the lease so around £200 in total over the lease period.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
you need to be on NHS payroll as it comes out of you salary.

if she speaks to Barbara or May in the car leasing team there based in Ards hospital as its the south Eastern trust that runs the car leasing scheme for all the trusts.

I’ll follow it up with them, thank you.

I know one of the wife’s colleagues got a 330E on NHS lease. But could have been via out of hours work or something.

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
I had looked at this but not every Health Trust in NI does it so unfortunately no E-Tron for me!

There will be some pension implications but if you were doing this on NHS Fleet solutions without the salary sacrifice it would be about 750 pm so thought it was a good deal.

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
Was going to get one of these before the E Golf but unfortunately my Health Trust no longer supports the salary sacrifice for cars scheme. Would have been a hell of a motor for not much more than I am paying for the Golf.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
OP
Burt2000
Drives
Type RA Ltd
We got confirmation that ours will be here in a couple of weeks, can’t wait to get it, I’ve seen a few on the road road now, very cool, although they don’t look it they are bigger than a Q5 but sit lower and fatter.

BigJoe

RMS Regular
Drives
FR-V - Civic
@Burt2000 i had saw this deal too and thought it was too good to be true. Although I didnt end up going for it in the end.
I also heard on the grape vine that the orders for the E-trons had been pulled as there was some issue with the finance company loosing money on them?
Have you heard anything more about yours...also if you dont mind me asking what Trust you are in and was it an easy process (I have never done it before) thanks.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
OP
Burt2000
Drives
Type RA Ltd
@Burt2000 i had saw this deal too and thought it was too good to be true. Although I didnt end up going for it in the end.
I also heard on the grape vine that the orders for the E-trons had been pulled as there was some issue with the finance company loosing money on them?
Have you heard anything more about yours...also if you dont mind me asking what Trust you are in and was it an easy process (I have never done it before) thanks.

Hello Joe we have been told mid July for delivery date, hopefully that isn’t extended. My wife works in the royal so I’m assuming Belfast trust? I think it was relatively straight forward to do, all the info is on the nhs fleet website afaik.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
OP
Burt2000
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Got word today that our car is sitting in agnews and readying for PDI, fortunately we have been one of the lucky ones who are definitely getting ours but there will be a lot of disappointed people who won’t as mentioned above the finance company pulled the plug and are apparently only honouring the 20 cars that are sitting in agnews 🤷‍♂️.

neil-c

RMS Regular
Good news on the car. Ive a friend on the Royal who's a nurse and has one of these on order. Their car was meant to be with them in May but I think they got word that it would be coming in July. Hopefully theirs is one of the 20!!

I looked into this deal briefly as my wife works for the NHS but as she's on a 7 year contract and not permanent staff she couldn't get it.