Audi Engine/gearbox

Davey Mack

RMS Regular
Drives
honda type R
Hey all I have and 05 Audi A3 2.0 TDI with DSG and recently I've notice a rattle when idling, sounds as its from the passenger side of the car, only way I can describe it is, someone shaking a stone in a tumbler cup, I can't hear it when sitting in the car but can be heard from standing at any point around the car and even up to ten feet away, the rattle comes and goes, its not constant and can be heard when idling, its obvious there's something not quiet right . Engine is idling fine and smooth which leads me to think its the gearbox but the Gear changes are slick as ever and power delivery is good, it's not affecting the drive of the car. I'm a bit stuck and fear it's going to need something stripped apart to solve it,

Any ideas

Thanks all

ace275

RMS Regular
Drives
Legacy SpecB
The flywheel falls apart in the vags, my mums 2005 1.9tdi 115bhp a4 had a hole in the flywheel at only 60k!

And the replacement kit was SERIOUSLY dear.

Think unipart came in the cheapest at over £400 parts only

hannakournikova

RMS Regular
I think I need a flywheel on my octavia too. £400 for the kit is cheapest ive seen plus fitting at about £120 ish

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Does the noise change in/out of D. Also what about when you lift the brake pedal when the clutch starts to engage?

Davey Mack

RMS Regular
OP
Davey Mack
Drives
honda type R
Does the noise change in/out of D. Also what about when you lift the brake pedal when the clutch starts to engage?
No only wen in N I hear it, i don't hear it whilst driving or when coming off the brake, just when idling

Davey Mack

RMS Regular
OP
Davey Mack
Drives
honda type R
Well all just to recap my audi a3 2.0TDI Sline with DSG gearbox , there was a rattle / popping noise from the engine when cold idling , isn't there when engine is warm, sounded like popcorn popping in the microwave, it's been in the car for about a year and got louder as the months go on, so left it with the car with the brother when I went to work on Tuesday, he dropped it to his mechanic , he started it Wednesday morning when cold, hes put the popping down to unburnt fuel being burnt, common problem apparently with these engines,injector knock I think he called it, coolant temp sensor is gone to, so I'll get one of them from audi, over all I was happy with that. Then the call came an hour later, another odd rattle from the engine was noticed, flywheels gone, early stages but going to need one, Im seeing pound signs now out the truck windscreen, soo the brother priced the flywheel for the DSG and with his discount worked out to be £350 not to bad I thought, going to hold on to after xmas and get the work done and a full service to while it's in, feckin cars always something,

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Does this sound like it could be a flywheel?

It’s only there when idling in N or P, goes away when I engage D or R.

-Pete-

RMS Regular
its not always the flyhweel. I thought the same thing on my 2.0 tdi and it was actually the alternator pulley as its a sprung loaded version (has an inbuilt clutch) and they are prone to wearing out. i ended up at my mechanic too in a worry thinking it was the flywheel and nope just that pulley needing replaced.
hopefully it could just be that as it does make a very similar noise and only really noticeable at idle. the down side if it is that is that the belt can jump of the pulley so still would need it fixed asap either way.

It was one of these from memory. when you looked in the engine bay you could see it vibrating and ticking. hopefully you should be able to see if it is that or rule it out if not.

Last edited:

brendy7

RMS Regular
Does this sound like it could be a flywheel?

It’s only there when idling in N or P, goes away when I engage D or R.

Did one today in a dsg touran make the same noise flywheel was scrap
20200814_112003.jpg
20200814_112011.jpg

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
its not always the flyhweel. I thought the same thing on my 2.0 tdi and it was actually the alternator pulley as its a sprung loaded version (has an inbuilt clutch) and they are prone to wearing out. i ended up at my mechanic too in a worry thinking it was the flywheel and nope just that pulley needing replaced.
hopefully it could just be that as it does make a very similar noise and only really noticeable at idle. the down side if it is that is that the belt can jump of the pulley so still would need it fixed asap either way.

It was one of these from memory. when you looked in the engine bay you could see it vibrating and ticking. hopefully you should be able to see if it is that or rule it out if not.

I'll get another listen, but the noise is louder from underneath and further back, so its definitely in the vicinity of the flywheel.

However it wasn't making the noise yesterday! :joy:
Did one today in a dsg touran make the same noise flywheel was scrap View attachment 291093View attachment 291094

Cheers. I've booked it in to Phillips to let them have a look in a couple of weeks.

I assume in a DSG car a flywheel would be a warranty item?

brendy7

RMS Regular
I'll get another listen, but the noise is louder from underneath and further back, so its definitely in the vicinity of the flywheel.

However it wasn't making the noise yesterday! :joy:

Cheers. I've booked it in to Phillips to let them have a look in a couple of weeks.

I assume in a DSG car a flywheel would be a warranty item?

I wouldn't think it chum but could be wrong

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Flip, in my head I assumed it would be in an auto, but not in a manual. Will maybe have to ring and check first!

Edit- policy booklet says fly wheel is covered under engine section, also clutch components but not “clutch frictional material”. Not sure if that means the clutch plate itself, and therefore what the protocol would be in having it replaced at the same time as some folk would say that’s advisable.

Last edited:

-Pete-

RMS Regular
Flip, in my head I assumed it would be in an auto, but not in a manual. Will maybe have to ring and check first!

Edit- policy booklet says fly wheel is covered under engine section, also clutch components but not “clutch frictional material”. Not sure if that means the clutch plate itself, and therefore what the protocol would be in having it replaced at the same time as some folk would say that’s advisable.

despite the cost, it would be mad not to do the lot while you're in there with everything apart, just for peace of mind that it will all be 100% and youll have a full warranty on the parts. if you're keeping the car for the mean time, no reason why not.

BBSBOY

RMS Regular

the clutch in your dsg is a wet clutch and is actually in the gearbox.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

Clutch on a DSG car is internal to the gearbox ( well most are )...and slightly different than a normal clutch. Not sure what way aftermarket warranties treat that one

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Ah, fair enough. Cheers. It’s booked in for next Monday but typically the noise has stopped. Ill maybe just drop it off anyway and see what happens. I assume the like of a flywheel wouldn’t be stripped and inspected unless they heard the noise themselves or knew it was definitely at fault, rather than stripping on a whim.

Ruairi83

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7.5 GTi PP
Ian, who did you take your warranty with. The Q3 is out of warranty 28/9/20 and don’t know weather to take Audi warranty or aftermarket for the year.

Ah, fair enough. Cheers. It’s booked in for next but typically the noise has stopped. Ill maybe just drop it off anyway and see what happens. I assume the like of a flywheel wouldn’t be stripped and inspected unless they heard the noise themselves or knew it was definitely at fault, rather than stripping on a whim.
They defo won’t open the box on a whim. I had my car to Belfast Audi 2 times for clutch judder. Told me I was imagining it. Took it to Portadown Audi and they felt it themselves and replaced, clutch, flywheel and release bearing at 24k.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I just extended the Tiguan warranty through VW.

I took a warranty out on the TT, A7 and A8 at Agnews though, the TT was £370 back in the day (the price is banded based on engine size), so the Q3 should be similar. Couldn’t fault it at all, great value for money.