Audi RS6 Gearbox

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

A6Avant

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Avant
Hi guys

Can anyone recommend someone who would be able to service/ replace a gearbox in an Audi RS6 (C5)?

Just brought one over from England during the week and the gearbox is messing around a bit. Ive read on several forums that Audi charge £3k + Labour + VAT so I was hoping there may be an alternative to compare prices.

Many thanks

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
^ yep always heard good reports. Seems men from that part of the world love a good box.

A6Avant

RMS Regular
OP
A6Avant
Drives
A6 Avant
Thats what mine is - MTM C5 RS6. After reading a bit it seems they are well known for eating gearboxes. Thanks for the recommendation, I must give him a call tomorrow.

Thats her \/
IMG_5310_zps8a1d82ac.jpg

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Stunning car, the one they had was an Avus Silver Avant, but didn't have the Bi-Moto wheels like your car. Health to drive.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Unreal!! Did you buy it as a project knowing the gearbox was an issue, or did you only discover after getting it home?

Hopefully you can get it sorted for a bit cheaper than Audi (y).

Phil_D

RMS Regular
Lovely lovely car...the gearbox issue was the only reason I didn't go for one, I adore them...

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
I'm of no use here, but just have to say that that's an awesome looking motor. Colour, wheels, height etc are all perfect (y)

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Ah, so you bought S6 0UAT!
Had been looking at it myself, it had a mega folder of history and receipts !
New wheels, coilovers, engine work, exhausts, services, remaps etc etc.

Hope the gearbox isn't too costly :-(

tomah

RMS Regular
Drives
Acura MDX
Can't help with the gearbox, but that's a serious car!!

Love it (y)

A6Avant

RMS Regular
OP
A6Avant
Drives
A6 Avant
Unreal!! Did you buy it as a project knowing the gearbox was an issue, or did you only discover after getting it home?

Hopefully you can get it sorted for a bit cheaper than Audi (y).

I was told that the car was 100% and needed no work. I rolled it off the lorry when it was delivered and realised immediately that the gearbox was dodgy. Today she stopped in the middle of the road and wouldnt engage in any gear, nor would she go in Neutral so she could be pushed. I got her brought back to the house and she is parked up now. Dunno what to do. Im not convinced the guy that sold her will want to help me at all. He was a private seller and didnt have his details on the V5 as he only owned the car a couple of months. Looks as though im on my own on this one

Jordy

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi / E46 M3
Lovely car, try place Woodcutter mentioned.

Have heard good reports about the place.

scub

Banned
I was told that the car was 100% and needed no work. I rolled it off the lorry when it was delivered and realised immediately that the gearbox was dodgy. Today she stopped in the middle of the road and wouldnt engage in any gear, nor would she go in Neutral so she could be pushed. I got her brought back to the house and she is parked up now. Dunno what to do. Im not convinced the guy that sold her will want to help me at all. He was a private seller and didnt have his details on the V5 as he only owned the car a couple of months. Looks as though im on my own on this one
i got caught a few years ago in a similar situation buying a gto with dodgy synchros which turned out to be a common fault that could be hidden briefly with heavy gearbag oil .
so about a week after i got it home it started jumping out of gear etc .
i had zero comeback either as the f00ker had emigrated .
hope you get sorted as that's 1 handsome motor !(y)

Big Blue Winky

RMS Regular
Drives
Dodge Viper, SRT
Awesome cars but the gearboxes are a really are a weak point on these, hope you get it sorted though.
I know a chap who does mechanic work near Belfast if that helps, he works on some serious motors and knows his stuff.

A6Avant

RMS Regular
OP
A6Avant
Drives
A6 Avant
Awesome cars but the gearboxes are a really are a weak point on these, hope you get it sorted though.
I know a chap who does mechanic work near Belfast if that helps, he works on some serious motors and knows his stuff.

Can you get me his details please? Thanks

avo5021

RMS Regular
From a fellow Audi man that's a cracking motor, had a look at an MTM car a while back myself. .

Where are you based ? I use a fellow based in the Ballyclare area for all my work and he's a time served VAG man who set up on his own after leaving Agnews.

A6Avant

RMS Regular
OP
A6Avant
Drives
A6 Avant
From a fellow Audi man that's a cracking motor, had a look at an MTM car a while back myself. .

Where are you based ? I use a fellow based in the Ballyclare area for all my work and he's a time served VAG man who set up on his own after leaving Agnews.

Thank you! Apart from the gearbox issues, she really is a lovely motor. I have printouts from the rolling road which were done about a year ago and they show she is sitting at 580BHP and putting out about 880lb of torque. This is my first 'fast' car so I dont fully understand what all the numbers and figures mean just yet. What I do understand though is the 11.6MPG read-out on the dash!

Oh, and Im in Cookstown but im willing to travel if I can get the right man to sort it for me

Thanks for all the help so far guys

Here's a few more pics!

IMG_5268_zps57d131fc.jpg

IMG_5248_zps68f135c6.jpg

IMG_5228_zps3ed9fd7d.jpg

IMG_5386_zps8229ac82.jpg

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.