Audi S3 8V Sportback

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
Plugs and wires ordered for the AFR loom. Already have the braided sheath and heat shrink so should be handy enough done. Also ordered one of these
A6CABBBA-6903-49D1-890B-405F2D746E7F.jpeg

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
CarPlay box ordered. Apparently you can hook up a reverse camera to it so I ordered one for £20, had to be worth a punt

A U D I A3 CarPlay Wireless Module WIFI Bluetooth Black Box Car Radio Retrofit Activate Device Android Auto Mirror

US $222.0 40% OFF|Een U D I A3 Carplay Draadloze Module Wifi Bluetooth Black Box Auto Radio Retrofit Activeren Apparaat Android Auto Spiegel|Auto Multimedia speler| - AliExpress

High Resolution Car Trunk Rear View parking camera back up reversing CAM for A3 A4 A5 A6 S5 Q3 Q5 Q7

US $24.75 25% OFF|Hoge Resolutie Kofferbak Rear View Parking Camera Back Up Omkeren Cam Voor A3 A4 A5 A6 S5 Q3 Q5 q7|Camera voor een voertuig| - AliExpress

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
Very interested how you get on with that install @Deezer-D

Looks straightforward enough. Glove box out, connect box and loom, glove box in. No idea on reverse camera. I need to supply more info to the seller such as MMI type, aux or AMI, photo of dash, and screen size - I assume the MMI and Nav + in the S3 is 7” @Lyons ?

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Looks straightforward enough. Glove box out, connect box and loom, glove box in. No idea on reverse camera. I need to supply more info to the seller such as MMI type, aux or AMI, photo of dash, and screen size - I assume the MMI and Nav + in the S3 is 7” @Lyons ?

MMI in the PFL S3 is 5.8" afaik and is MIB1 which cannot drive the 7" screen - needs to be MIB High or MIB 2 from FL S3/A3

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
This needs either Aux or AMI to work. I have AMI but no cable to check if it’s activated. I’d assume it is but is just greyed out in the menu as nothing connected?
0997BF8C-4424-4905-9946-9B256C431D91.jpeg
D63DCED0-FA0F-48D4-97F0-74B7295F5FA0.jpeg

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
So I need one of these, AMI / Female AUX

58923D3C-C520-4EA2-AB5E-00F5EDA6B92C.jpeg

Once connected I then need to activate the AUX.

Not sure Audi do a cable like this?

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
Cable ordered from Amazon so fingers crossed it works. If it doesn’t I’ll buy an Audi one with the male 3.5mm end and use a female/female connector that I’ve ordered as backup. Also ordered some VAG stereo release tools as I have lost mine and can only find some BMW ones in the shed.
Seeing as the glovebox needs to come out to fit this box I’ll try to run the OBD cable for the JB4 from the passenger side over to the drivers side meaning I can keep the cable inside the car and away from heat in the engine bay. I can then use the firewall grommet behind the battery.
Waiting on the plugs to arrive for AFR loom but in no hurry to fit the JB4 as my insurance renewal is due at the end of the month so I’ll wait until it’s covered.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
Was hoking through YouTube and watched a video by a guy who has installed a CarPlay box in his 8V. The AMI cable is only required to trick the box into thinking AUX is connected. Nothing plugs into it so cable I’ve ordered should do the trick.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
Cable arrived this morning and it does the job

4EC4188D-602D-4484-AD77-DE1C3E2031A5.jpeg

Just have to wait on the kit arriving from China now.

The reverse camera replaces the boot handle in the hatch so will need to work out how to get the cable from there to the front passenger side to connect to the CarPlay box. Probably a good time to install the cable for the rear dashcam that’s been sitting in a box for months.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
So, change of plan again and the JB4 is sold. I’ve the Bluetooth Connect Kit in the classifieds if anyone is looking one.
I’ve decided to go down the route of the Unicorn Self Tune. As I’m only going Stage 1 I don’t really need the TCU tune (handheld tablet doesn’t support the TCU yet) but will likely do it once supported. Seems better value than the Revo/SPS Switch.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
@Deezer-D

I see you've been doing your research on vwroc :eyes:

I went and got Revo'd yesterday there in Conlig. Car just pulls so much harder and for longer now. Really impressed

Yeah, was a member when I had my Golf R and a google search on the Unicorn Self Tune took me to VWROC. The Unicorn is over £300 cheaper than the Revo / SPS and Rick seems to have a good rep for tuning MQB cars. Haven’t bought it yet so there’s a chance my indecisiveness will kick in again 😂