Audi S3 8V Sportback

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
In all seriousness though, i have been wanting car play in my car for a while and been finding it difficult to get a reasonable solution for the MIB1 screen/media

Can you post all the links below @Deezer-D please

The reverse camera is a "nice to have" as well

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
In all seriousness though, i have been wanting car play in my car for a while and been finding it difficult to get a reasonable solution for the MIB1 screen/media

Can you post all the links below @Deezer-D please

The reverse camera is a "nice to have" as well

I’d hoped one of the wireless dongles would have worked but as you say it’s harder with the older MMI. I bought them fro AliExpress for £208 and customs was £22 ish. Links below

CarPlay Box

£171.70 41% Off | A U D I A3 CarPlay Wireless Module WIFI Bluetooth Black Box Car Radio Retrofit Activate Device Android Auto Mirror

Reverse Camera

£19.21 26% Off | High Resolution Car Trunk Rear View parking camera back up reversing CAM for A3 A4 A5 A6 S5 Q3 Q5 Q7

You need an Aux cable plugged into your AMI port to trick the box into using Aux for sound. If you don’t have AMI and have Aux then you’re good.
I bought a box of the heat shrink / solder sleeves which are handy for joining wires if you don’t fancy soldering. They’re actually dead handy. A roll of Tesa (cloth) tape is handy too.
Happy to help out with any questions/advice needed BTW 👍🏻 It’s not actually difficult, just a bit awkward and takes a while if you’re being fussy. I now know what to watch out for. I spent too much time trying to get the wire from the car into the hatch and trying to remove the boot handle.

therock

RMS Regular
Glad the unicorn went well.

It astounded me how much harder it pulls once you go past 3-4k RPM. It feels like that moment when Han Solo hits the hyperdrive and there's the lag, then bang. Solar systems passing by

PJna4oFqLqTUo3SN4mFHJd-1200-80.jpg

mikerd4

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S4 Avant
Tempted by the android auto box myself now for the S1, it looks pretty good.

Actually just looked and for some strange reason all the ones for the A1/S1.Q3 dont support android auto wirelessly, its wired only

Last edited:

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
Having a couple of issues with the CarPlay box. It doesn’t automatically connect when I start the car. I have to mess around with Bluetooth and force a connection. Trying to sort with the seller.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
So according to the guy on the online chat (AliExpress seller) there can only be one Bluetooth connection active and that must be to the CarPlay box. Apparently because my Apple Watch is connected to my phone it will cause connection issues. I deleted all pairings, reset the box, turned off my Apple Watch and connected my phone again. Was working fine for a while but didn’t auto connect earlier. Disappointing.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
Got a software update which seems to have sorted the connection issues (mostly) Generally it’s less hassle to switch my Apple Watch off in the car. I get all the notifications through CarPlay anyway. Not ideal but I can tolerate it.
Had my first proper back road drive tonight and the map is fantastic. Power delivery seems to keep pulling in every gear. This could become addictive.
Not much left on the list to sort -
  • Front disc bells and callipers need a good clean and the rear hubs need painted again.
  • Proper clean inside & out including door shuts. Could do with a wet vac to give the carpet a lift.
  • Some paintwork - not sure how much I want to get done but definitely the rear bumper. The car is 5 years old so won’t be perfect.
  • Refurb the summer wheels
  • Brake fluid service.
  • Still haven’t fitted the dash cam (rear camera put me off 😩 ) Would be handier if I had a garage.
  • Maybe a black edition front grille and carbon fibre mirror caps.
  • DSG map.
The Unicorn map has kept me interested in the car for another while.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
Not much happening mostly due to the car not getting much use. Swapped the winter wheels on today as I’ve a few runs to Derry in the new year. Will get the summer ones refurbished in the new year. No pics as the car hasn’t been washed in months so just looks like a dirty black S3 with clean wheels 😜 Still needs the back bumper painted too.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Not much happening mostly due to the car not getting much use. Swapped the winter wheels on today as I’ve a few runs to Derry in the new year. Will get the summer ones refurbished in the new year. No pics as the car hasn’t been washed in months so just looks like a dirty black S3 with clean wheels 😜 Still needs the back bumper painted too.
Surely it has been washed from the last day I seen it 😂

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
Big update ................ another rear wiper jet replaced 😜

D3598D6C-5291-40B6-80DB-CCAF736333C5.jpeg

Also dropped the summer wheels off with Michael to get them refurbed.
Rear hubs need done again 😩 Still haven’t washed it.
Bought some more Anachem stuff so will do the coating decontamination with Citraclean and Purge although I’m not expecting much of a result as the coating has been on since November 2018.
Still needs the rear bumper painted 😩

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
OP
Deezer-D
Drives
Mini SE
On a plus side ,it had moved from the right hand side of the drive to the left today .😂
Moved twice today! Has done 25 miles since last week. German ornament 😂
Did you get the RS back yet?
Just remembered I bought a set of Audi rubber mats for it and never fitted them over winter. They’ll do for next year.
Had a bit of a blat in it earlier coming back from Holywood Exchange. That Unicorn Stage 1 is hilarious! Really must get it dyno’d more out of curiosity than for pub numbers. I do think it needs the TCU map though. Unicorn don’t have that available as a remote map yet though. I think I can mix and match with the Revo DSG map.
Maybe look at a set of B8s to replace the standard shocks. TR Hamza has been running MSS springs so went and had a look at what kind of money they were - a grand! I could get a decent set of coilovers for that.
I think a Black Edition grille might look well and maybe some carbon mirror caps.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
What colour are you going for on the wheels?

Personally i think the chrome and aluminium work on a black car, especially with the roof rails too.