Audi S3 8V

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Heading to this at the end of the month to see if I can improve on my previous best time! Didnt have the luck at Crail in July so hopefully with new tyres, DSG and haldex service, the car will perform well on the day (weather permitting). I have a Revo engine and gearbox mount kit which I am debating in fitting as I have read that it can feel quite harsh but then again, with the power going through my car, it might be a good idea for the racing.

Its a great day and I would encourage everyone to come down!

67964808_1158834464308494_5855444079889874944_n.jpg
Doing gearbox and haldex next week.it was supposed to be today but they cancelled .what price is the oil changes any idea ?.The gearbox is dear someone said .

zafturbo

RMS Regular
The mounts should really help.
Depends graham as for a daily they could totally ruin the comfort level.Yes I also agree they will defo help on track.each car will be different and my experiences with them was on my older cars which are not comfy to start with .

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Not paying anywhere near those amounts, parts on their own for DSG and Oil was around £160

I had upgraded engine mounts in my old S3 which was fine I thought but I have heard these Revo ones are hard going! Anyway, can always take them out!

ahannigan

RMS Regular
Drives
Bullitt
Heading to this at the end of the month to see if I can improve on my previous best time!

Heading to this also, I’m under no illusions of winning anything but I’ll happy to have somewhere to hear the V8 roar in a straight line and attempt some launches in it :laughing:

Look forward to seeing the S3 in action!

TalkToFrank

RMS Regular
Drives
335i MT Touring
I had allocated myself a space for it but it turns out I'll only be back in the country that morning, plus I'll not have the car truly ready for it. You'd smoke me anyway 😂

Best of luck, bet the wee thing will do you proud! It'll certainly be better than Crail! Was there a few years ago and getting off the line seemed to be everyone's struggle, the boys I was with were saying that it wasn't as bad elsewhere ! They'd a Evo X, a classic Impreza and, one that was going to struggle from the start - a BAM engines Citroen c2

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
I had allocated myself a space for it but it turns out I'll only be back in the country that morning, plus I'll not have the car truly ready for it. You'd smoke me anyway 😂

Best of luck, bet the wee thing will do you proud! It'll certainly be better than Crail! Was there a few years ago and getting off the line seemed to be everyone's struggle, the boys I was with were saying that it wasn't as bad elsewhere ! They'd a Evo X, a classic Impreza and, one that was going to struggle from the start - a BAM engines Citroen c2

Yeah surface is rough which they are not allowed to improve and I guess with being so close to the ocean the salt makes it slippy but then again, APR took their TTRS there several weeks before and hit a mid 9s quarter mile. I have videos of all 4 wheels of my car spinning!!

My best time at St.Angelos is 11.19s (OEM pumps) and best at Crail was 11.38 (upgraded pumps and software). It was very warm on both days so hopefully this time is will be a lot cooler and mainly dry!

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Irish Street Nationals finished up on Sunday and was a great day despite the weather. Thought we struck it lucky before lunch with it drying up but kept spitting rain throughout.

However, didn’t stop people throwing down and having some fun. Great work by @56oval with his MC skills and well ran day overall. Few hiccups but these can be learned from.

Best time for me of the day was 11.21s at 123mph officially (my dragy times we’re slower) which I think was 4th fastest overall, 0.02s off 3rd!!

Highlight for me were my races against rival Golf R’s Tuned by MRC and APR both at Stage 3 putting out 499bhp and 505bhp respectively.

Few photos and videos:

F1CBB58B-1AE6-422C-800D-42B7F5620CE9.jpeg

1E6B5BF5-D78F-4097-A3AE-9296D51BFA84.jpeg

BC52E27B-2204-4F3F-A7B7-691F96DFB859.jpeg

F459E7BC-2950-4F84-92ED-9F7BEDE54F81.jpeg

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
I had more than 6 runs, think 8/9 in total. Could have been a lot more but I wanted to keep my gearbox temps cool and just with the weather I didn’t see the point in launching it in the wet.

Was all lined up at the end of the day against the Nardo RS6 but unfortunately a motorbike crashed just before we were to start.

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Next I’d be very tempted to improve the Audio. It already has B&O but sometimes I just want some more kick.

The B&O is great for an optional extra but it’s just lacking some punch. Something like this would be ideal but looks like I’d have to add in an extra amp and unsure if the other speakers would be able to handle it?

Any audio guru thoughts? (Already talking to Audio Advice before they are suggested)

893501B5-2DFC-44D4-91B5-4284F7B99A6F.jpeg

jshek007

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 335,FN2, R56
Seen it yesterday at the Dundonald Park and ride beside the m2. Lol. Thought it looked familiar and then realised it was yours. Car looked well.

@Cartunes will know what to do whilst maintaining most of the oem stuff 😊

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Quick car no doubt, but is it not all a bit dull, drag in a 4wd auto box car. Main thing is you have fun :grinning: Are you upgrading it further or happy with its performance now?

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Quick car no doubt, but is it not all a bit dull, drag in a 4wd auto box car. Main thing is you have fun :grinning: Are you upgrading it further or happy with its performance now?
Your rite in what your saying about it being a bit uneventful compared to say track racing - rallying but if you look at nearly all the other drag cars are auto now so it’s really all about how quick you can get away from the lights when they change.totally no doubt that doing the 1/4 mile in say a 500hp rwd bmw for example would be much more fun your times then would be say 2+seconds slower than boydie is going.
I didn’t really take much interest in his times but when I started looking into doing my own car up a bit ,his times are actually very impressive .Such a quick car and very understated ,a real sleeper .

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
Your rite in what your saying about it being a bit uneventful compared to say track racing - rallying but if you look at nearly all the other drag cars are auto now so it’s really all about how quick you can get away from the lights when they change.totally no doubt that doing the 1/4 mile in say a 500hp rwd bmw for example would be much more fun your times then would be say 2+seconds slower than boydie is going.
I didn’t really take much interest in his times but when I started looking into doing my own car up a bit ,his times are actually very impressive .Such a quick car and very understated ,a real sleeper .

We got chatting to a Scottish fella who was at Crail in the summer in his RS3 who is doing 10.6 ... it’s insane.

Mark_C

RMS Regular

Stevies granada and the oma subaru (which runs 8's) must surely be the fastest two NI or Irish cars and are manual as are many of the home grown competitors (as are a lot of the fast totb entries) The terminals also tell a tale as well. Some R35s etc are auto though to be fair.

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo

It’s good craic And I do enjoy it. Each race is different depending on the day, surface, weather etc...

No further upgrades, don’t know what to do tbh. Keep it land lighten it or sell it and make something quicker.

Never done a track day. Done some track experiences in their cars but I don’t think I’d want to track my S3
Stevies granada and the oma subaru (which runs 8's) must surely be the fastest two NI or Irish cars and are manual as are many of the home grown competitors (as are a lot of the fast totb entries) The terminals also tell a tale as well. Some R35s etc are auto though to be fair.

The problem I have with people over here with these fast cars is what do they do with them?

I know of a few 550bhp Golf R’s, some 600+ RS3’s, 800bhp RS6 and I’m sure there are numerous GTR’s about the place with good HP but never come to these events.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
It’s good craic And I do enjoy it. Each race is different depending on the day, surface, weather etc...

No further upgrades, don’t know what to do tbh. Keep it land lighten it or sell it and make something quicker.

Never done a track day. Done some track experiences in their cars but I don’t think I’d want to track my S3

Would an rs3 be of any interest to you .i believe they would be lighter than the s3 so a bit of time there then whatever you want to spend on the 5pot .it all boils down to how much money you have or how much you want to spend if at all on a 1/4 mile monster / daily .
I totally understand that and tbh it would be my choice of gearbox a manual but it really is always going to be slower than a good auto box I was more referring to the lads who turn up and blast there daily’s up the strip like boydie does who would have the likes of a golf R or an a45 for example .
The problem I have with people over here with these fast cars is what do they do with them?

I know of a few 550bhp Golf R’s, some 600+ RS3’s, 800bhp RS6 and I’m sure there are numerous GTR’s about the place with good HP but never come to these events.

Mark_C

RMS Regular

Can't speak for everyone but for me the fun is in taking the thing to pieces and putting it back together and seeing how much more I can tweak it before it breaks again :grinning: the joy is in the actual machine and the electronics for me, I don't really like them that much when they're working.

I've no doubt my mr2 would be great at drag, even nowadays they are usually still the fastest things in a lot of meetings (when modded obvs) as they run in a RWD class with 4wd levels of grip

Good excuse to see ash's mr2 again :

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Couldn’t afford mine to break lol which then begs the question, “why do you do it?”

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Finally got round to fitting my centre console which has been sitting in my garage/attic for the last 2 years.

Looking back, I’ve had so many opportunities to fit this but just never bothered. Anyway...

Thought I’d take the seats out and clean out underneath. This would also give me more room to work, they are some weight!

F303E68D-C552-4A5A-82BF-B14C54A4CA8F.jpeg

Found some change!

713E7185-7CBC-4896-BC61-14893F1FF942.jpeg
85409895-7F21-4C52-A4D4-886C606184CF.jpeg

All out!

525917DD-229E-4314-ADD8-B2C4385AC30F.jpeg

Apprentice was useless

60316BC5-D128-444A-880C-8DF30D59694C.jpeg

MMI removal

A1B77857-AD0C-4D9E-B326-CF56E7674BA6.jpeg
25670674-E23D-40CA-9844-0EE862F6F4F8.jpeg

93B65882-8337-4165-9938-FD8EF65EF68E.jpeg

Removed trim round the MMI

8DB58104-562B-4BDE-ACB9-D0B6F18FA086.jpeg

Removed MMI from console

91EA5E4E-B759-4D35-B8FF-6D4154BEF971.jpeg

All put back together with new facelift console with illuminated cup holders

3DE35C5B-3B94-4D40-838E-6486941FB7AD.jpeg

And all put back together :grinning: the cigarette lighter was an absolute nightmare as it needs a specific VAG tool but got there in the end!

BD94E062-2490-4E3E-9B76-B6F70D533CAF.jpeg

921704EB-91D4-4A3D-8743-FA4424BDA71E.jpeg

Unfortunately the plug sent was the wrong size for the cup holder lights so will need to get the right one ordered up.

Seats can wait until tomorrow! Couple other things to do while at home over next few weeks so watch this space.

Last edited: