Audi S3 8V

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Bit of a maintenance update this one and some prep for the drag race next month

So having spoken with @G24NTR about his tyre experiences with the new Accellera 651 Sport Xrtra I decided to buy a set while they were on offer (silly cheap). At that stage, I could not get my hands on a set of light weight 18's so just went with 235/35/19 with the intention of just swapping over onto my stock wheels. Will see if they will make a difference in my 0-60ft at lower pressure increasing grip off the line

View attachment 370479

They arrived end of June so since then I have been trawling ebay, facebook, gumtree, etc... for various 19" rims like Revo's, Team Dynamics, Motec's, etc... all +/- 10kg each

I then added to the search another set of OEM 19's which surprisingly are 9.7kg each which would probably be one of the lightest 19" wheels available for sensible money. Low and behold, I found a set in Edinburgh on Gumtree which have been off the car more or less from new and put in storage. Now for sale since the car was sold.

Problem was collection/delivery and for the money, I had to have them so a friend in Fife collected them for me and coincidentally my parents are in Scotland so are bringing them home in the next couple of weeks - they are immaculate! Might swap them and make them my daily wheels with the Michelin PS4S'

View attachment 370480

Now on to the maintenance - I had the car fully serviced at the start of June (DSG, Haldex removal and Engine Oil) ready for the Runway Club event which I didn't end up going too :worried: Since then (within last week or so) I have experienced some boost issues and been suggested that I change my spark plugs (March 2021 was last time) and the coil packs (on originals at 70k miles).

So the car is going into TG Performance this week for:
  • Spark plugs (NGK Racing)
  • Coil packs (OEM Audi B9 S4 - recommended by AwesomeGTI)
  • 02 sensor (OEM)
  • Low pressure fuel pump filter (Walbro)
View attachment 370481

Installed some new front wipers - an oddly satisfying replacement but a hateful thing to buy :joy:

Hopefully the above cures the issues and has me ready for the drag racing in September!! Roll on 10 seconds!
what was delivery time like on the tyres? been meaning to order some myself for ages and wondering if they will get here before the 14th.

Mad the reliability you've had out of something so highly tuned.

G24NTR

RMS Regular
what was delivery time like on the tyres? been meaning to order some myself for ages and wondering if they will get here before the 14th.

I had them within 5 days from memory.

Still holding up well, wear is decent, for the money really can't be beaten. Though do need a few miles to wear them in to get decent grip levels.

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo

Yeah they arrived pretty sharpish, maybe less than 5 days - i will look out my order date vs the text from my wife "wtf are these?"

Reliability - have had our ups and downs but so far always been fixable but in the grand scheme of things with the drag racing and daily driving 50 miles a day, its a hard to beat car!

Edit: 4 days :joy:

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Cheers lads, loads of time then so never worry digging out the specific date will just get them ordered.

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Finally got my Accelera 651 XTRAā€™s on the new replacement, all be it the same, rims.

To recap, I couldnā€™t for decent money find a suitable, lightweight wheel in 18/19ā€ anywhere or people were looking too much or wouldnā€™t ship to Belfast.

Found these on Gumtree in Edinburgh for a bargain so got the tyres on earlier in the week and on last night.

My Miltek res delete arrived yesterday too so somehow have to try get it on before Sunday.

Iā€™m handy enough so jacked up and propped be ok in the driveway if I canā€™t get on a ramp?

24BE04C0-2968-4122-A7BC-BBAB31C3A03F.jpeg
E09EE2A5-05DE-43FB-9198-91C6C954FD04.jpeg

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Iā€™m handy enough so jacked up and propped be ok in the driveway if I canā€™t get on a ramp?
just make sure you can get the car high enough to get the pipe up in to place as looks like it will slide inside the existing pipe so may be taller than the original if you get me (room to remove won't be the same as fit), set of ramps is usually the handiest driveway method as lifts it higher than most jacks .

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
just make sure you can get the car high enough to get the pipe up in to place as looks like it will slide inside the existing pipe so may be taller than the original if you get me (room to remove won't be the same as fit), set of ramps is usually the handiest driveway method as lifts it higher than most jacks .

Yeah, its quite large and long plus I will have to remove a resonated section with a centre box - ramp would be ideal but if my initial plan with Cro doesnt work, I will be stuck :worried:

Anyone a ramp in East Belfast area? :joy:

McFall1984

RMS Regular
Drives
To many cars
I've small ramps I can meet you with later if you want? Or feel free to come to Dungannon an jump on the lift

Can't wait to see this go sunday

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
I've small ramps I can meet you with later if you want? Or feel free to come to Dungannon an jump on the lift

Can't wait to see this go sunday

Thanks very much but working to 5pm tonight and to collect my boys as wife is working - could fly in at 4am sunday morning on way down if you fancy it :joy:

KIbby96

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon Cupra
Thanks very much but working to 5pm tonight and to collect my boys as wife is working - could fly in at 4am sunday morning on way down if you fancy it :joy:
Have you contacted Dees Exhaust in newtownabbey. Ive had a good chunk of work done by him, if you explain the urgency he could likely fit you in tomorrow

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Have you contacted Dees Exhaust in newtownabbey. Ive had a good chunk of work done by him, if you explain the urgency he could likely fit you in tomorrow

I haven't contacted anyone until my original plan is confirmed. I have contingency but ideally I would like on a ramp.

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
So to keep this thread updated

Weekend past was the Irish Drag Racing event - I have been doing these events now since I owned my S3 and due to covid, there sadly hasnt been an opportunity to host another event this last 3 years

So above, my res delete arrived last week and I tackled this job throughout Saturday

Jacked up, reasonable access, happy days...

1662977202496.png

So first, the back box had to come off - bit of a wrestle, some twisting and bashing but got it off - some weight in it!

1662979752450.jpeg

Dirty and covered in tar so gave it a quick clean!!

1662979798833.jpeg

Next was to tackle the resonated centre box :mad: what a MF PITA

This thing would not budge - drowned in WD40, I could get a bit of a twist on it but required my entire body weight under the car plus leverage from a bar. Gave up to go pick my wife up from work to calm myself down :joy:

The barstard in question:

1662979878075.png

I had a mallet which wasn't making a dent so frustration got the better of me and brought out the sledge - this was after picking up my wife and having a think about it - few whacks sorted it.

1662979951243.png

As I said in the other thread, should have done this from the start - at this point I think I was 5-6 hours in :eek:

Thankfully the res delete slipped on like a dream!

1662980046366.jpeg

Now the back box, with its awkward shape and weight proved a bit more difficult but got there in the end with a bit of wiggling, flaring and swearing

1662980108093.jpeg

Now it does look off at this angle but looks as it should when on the ground. There is no shifting in it what so ever but will look at it again to see if there is any movement

1662980185405.png

Next job was to strip the car for the drag event, this took me up to 22.30 on Saturday night lol nothing like last min prep! Still no idea how much weight is stripped from the car, keeping meaning to weigh everything but time always gets the better of me :worried:

1662980230194.jpeg

Anyway, onto the event which was fantastic despite the weather - I wasn't expecting records to be broken on such a wet day but the times were good none the less with my best being 11.69 on Dragy with a 0-60 in 3.61 in the wet :joy:

1662980319263.jpeg

My Dragy times vs Straightliners

1662980607988.png

Big thanks to Chris Burns for letting me jet wash the travel off the car before scrutineering - I need a heated jet wash in my life!

1662980666983.jpeg

Some action shots that I have seen so far - I have requested more hi res pics

(this was a bad start where I had to disengage launch control as the lights were taking too long to change)

1662981003625.jpeg

1662981051333.jpeg

1662981064242.jpeg

1662981083084.jpeg

1662981104730.jpeg

As you can see, was a swimming pool but still, great craic!

So anyway, that's a wrap as @56oval said for 2022, roll on 2023 for some dry days!

Love this car, daily driven, weekly cleaned, 100+ launches under its belt with 72k now on the clocks. Stripped for the drag event and ready for work the next day :cool: Plan is to keep it well maintained and keep it another while!

1662981151645.jpeg

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Is that the oem back box? šŸ˜²

Surprised with all the fancy bits and chasing numbers and times you still had it and the resonator tbh!!

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Is there noise limits on the drag strip ? If the back box is heavy you could get twin pipes to swap it out on race day.
The backbox on the subaru weight a ton aswell.

Attachments

• IMG_20180928_172327_572.jpg
    IMG_20180928_172327_572.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 44

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Is that the oem back box? šŸ˜²

Surprised with all the fancy bits and chasing numbers and times you still had it and the resonator tbh!!

No its a full Milltek system - the back box is some size and weight which I only found out on Saturday night lol might need to look into that!

My system is non valved so I didnt want it to be obnoxious hence why I went with the resonated section when ordering new. Now that I have the non res in, it isn't overly loud, maybe on cold start just but I dont think so much elsewhere
Is there noise limits on the drag strip ? If the back box is heavy you could get twin pipes to swap it out on race day.
The backbox on the subaru weight a ton aswell.

No noise limits - some serious pops and bangs from the jap cars there which sent shock waves through your chest

Could be an idea for next event - ill find out the weight of the back box but a straight through pipe would be obscenely loud

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Still putting in great times even in the soaking wet! 3.6 to 60šŸ˜‚

The weight of some of the oem bits and pices would surprise you. I put the scoob on a weigh bridge recently for the craic and it came in at about 1190kg. Factory figure for the version 6 RA is 1240 so Iā€™ve shaved about 40/50kg that I didnā€™t even realise with smaller, lighter coilovers, the cats removed and standard exhaust swapped for a turbo back prodrive system.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
No its a full Milltek system - the back box is some size and weight which I only found out on Saturday night lol might need to look into that!

My system is non valved so I didnt want it to be obnoxious hence why I went with the resonated section when ordering new. Now that I have the non res in, it isn't overly loud, maybe on cold start just but I dont think so much elsewhere

No noise limits - some serious pops and bangs from the jap cars there which sent shock waves through your chest

Could be an idea for next event - ill find out the weight of the back box but a straight through pipe would be obscenely loud
Put the resonator back on šŸ˜„

In all seriousness, you should get a tee peice into twin tail pipes fitted to the old resonator pipe and just swap the whole thing over for race day. I'd say it would sound crap for daily use anyway (even if it wasn't too loud I mean)

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Put the resonator back on šŸ˜„

In all seriousness, you should get a tee peice into twin tail pipes fitted to the old resonator pipe and just swap the whole thing over for race day. I'd say it would sound crap for daily use anyway (even if it wasn't too loud I mean)

So the centre resonator would act as my "back box?"

That would sound well driving to Enniskillen with a stripped out car :joy:

• Haha
Reactions: Mel

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
So the centre resonator would act as my "back box?"

That would sound well driving to Enniskillen with a stripped out car :joy:
Yeah šŸ˜†
I know you had bother doing it on your driveway but now it's off and loose would it not be easy enough to do when you get there ? Or do you just show up ready to run with no tools/ramps or anything?

On mine I got a wee silencer where the resonator was to quiet it down but if you did that you'd wonder how much weight you'd save really.

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Yeah šŸ˜†
I know you had bother doing it on your driveway but now it's off and loose would it not be easy enough to do when you get there ? Or do you just show up ready to run with no tools/ramps or anything?

On mine I got a wee silencer where the resonator was to quiet it down but if you did that you'd wonder how much weight you'd save really.

Sure for the few times a year I dont mind losing more skin on my knuckles plus I now know it requires a sledge hammer so easy peasy

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
Sure for the few times a year I dont mind losing more skin on my knuckles plus I now know it requires a sledge hammer so easy peasy
That's whats making me think if you got it all made up you could swap it with a whack of the sledge at that one joint. I got flanges welded on mine in the thought it would easy to swap back, but A- who can actually be arsed, and B- I sold it not long after so no idea if it would've been handy or not

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Lying on your back in a driveway working on the car is a right PITA. Bar something like an oil change, anything else I send it to a good mechanic as it always ends up a ball ache and like yourself boydie, much cursing and banged knuckles :joy:

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Lying on your back in a driveway working on the car is a right PITA. Bar something like an oil change, anything else I send it to a good mechanic as it always ends up a ball ache and like yourself boydie, much cursing and banged knuckles :joy:

I have a lined bruise on the inside of my right bicep where i was using leverage against a bar inside the end of the exhaust to try twist it off

Was warming up in the gym this morning and wondered my hips were all bruised and sore then I remembered about changing the exhaust :mad:

Getting old and stubborn!