Audi S3 8V

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
As @Boydie has said, I don’t really have the words to explain the trip.

It’s interesting you say that @Burt2000, I lived in NZ years ago and spent the majority of my honeymoon there touring from the North to the South Island and during our trip, especially on the West coast, I commented how similar it was.

I just never realised how vast and incredible Scotland is and all only a couple of hours away on a boat !!

It was great to fit in a lot of the TopGear roads and having watched Henry Catchpole videos and he loves Scotland so I knew it wouldn’t disappoint.

In no particular order and only a small subset but few more snaps from our trip ...

3D0D3971-5795-4AED-85F3-6FFBFFDDBD54.jpeg

4F5F2CD8-AF76-4C74-ABA2-A78B5D345E2E.jpeg

FB607EC7-C5C9-4AEF-8775-12EAC8D61436.jpeg

Always chasing that extra millisecond ..
B66EC679-8C62-4A54-847B-203C2FFC0722.jpeg

D7E72D67-50F8-4A97-8EF8-5F9D214B23E8.jpeg

1590A1E1-9604-4061-BF56-6F1BB198603E.jpeg

33B75D60-D6C0-45BA-B371-A5573B07954F.jpeg

D4F84B26-DA3A-4834-BC94-0EBD62D23471.jpeg

2F384D0E-1C94-4A67-992A-85524309BC85.jpeg

D8DEE63F-F9B7-4EFB-915A-456E5070E4E3.jpeg

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
As @Boydie has said, I don’t really have the words to explain the trip.

It’s interesting you say that @Burt2000, I lived in NZ years ago and spent the majority of my honeymoon there touring from the North to the South Island and during our trip, especially on the West coast, I commented how similar it was.

I just never realised how vast and incredible Scotland is and all only a couple of hours away on a boat !!

It was great to fit in a lot of the TopGear roads and having watched Henry Catchpole videos and he loves Scotland so I knew it wouldn’t disappoint.

In no particular order and only a small subset but few more snaps from our trip ...

View attachment 246634

View attachment 246635

View attachment 246636

Always chasing that extra millisecond ..
View attachment 246637

View attachment 246638

View attachment 246639

View attachment 246640

View attachment 246641

View attachment 246642

View attachment 246643

Totally agree, if you get the weather there are few places in the world that offer driving and scenery like the highlands.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Applecross really is a wee bit of heaven. Beallach na bah obviously but also on round the peninsula coast towards Torridon.

Views towards Skye on a good day are just to die for.

Pretty quiet too.

Same the partly single track road up round Poolewe.

Boydie, next time do a run out to the Western Isles/Hebrides. Well worth the effort, and the ferries aren't expensive.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
You’ve convinced me even more to do that trip @Carson after saying you lived in NZ too, I’ve always longed to go back there but it’s so far and now with a family it just seemed a step too far. I’d no idea that beauty was on our door step! (y)

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Don't forget Donegal, Connemara, Claire. Kerry off season.

Or even the A2 from Strangford, past Ardglass to Clough. And on over the Mournes.

Or turn right instead of left off the Scotland ferry and head for Lake District.

And then Wales.

Or Cornwall, and on into Dorset along the "Jurassic Coast".

Could go on all day 😇 8-|

We are so spoilt for choice!

Dan.86

RMS Regular
Incredible trip! This has definitely given me ideas for touring Scotland and Ireland.

Lee

RMS Regular
Nice write-up and class trip. Must have neen unreal with 480 on tap too.

Since getting a bike and going to Scotland at the start of May I'm all ears!

20190510_151246.jpg

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
Fantastic trip and great write up, very informative and helpful as I wouldn’t have a clue where to start, great pics, makes me want a drone too!

Noel McQ

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS
Great write up, has gave me plenty of insight for doing the route in September (although we are doing it backwards so will be east coast first then most time on the west coast). Just hope we get weather as good as that!

TalkToFrank

RMS Regular
Drives
335i MT Touring
That was a fantastic trip by the looks of it, you had it well planned out! Crail ain't bad at all, went there with a few friends from Aberdeen and enjoyed it!

That is mad power coming from your ca r now, but 4wd must handle it nicely?

You planning on entering the drag at Enniskillen at the end of September?

richie_mck

RMS Regular
Some lovely spots for a road trip around Scotland. Spent a good bit of last week cutting about the Cairngorms/ Aberdeenshire, the rain was something else.

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Great write up, has gave me plenty of insight for doing the route in September (although we are doing it backwards so will be east coast first then most time on the west coast). Just hope we get weather as good as that!

Seriously, I’d happily miss the east and head inland a bit or just beeline it up from Inverness to get west ASAP along the north coast. South of Durness is just beautiful.

That was a fantastic trip by the looks of it, you had it well planned out! Crail ain't bad at all, went there with a few friends from Aberdeen and enjoyed it!

That is mad power coming from your ca r now, but 4wd must handle it nicely?

You planning on entering the drag at Enniskillen at the end of September?

Handles and puts the power down very well to do 0-60 in 3.19s lol

Yeah I’ve entered so just waiting on confirmation. Plan to do run way club as well in Dublin

Thanks for the comments

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Applecross really is a wee bit of heaven. Beallach na bah obviously but also on round the peninsula coast towards Torridon.

Views towards Skye on a good day are just to die for.

Pretty quiet too.

Same the partly single track road up round Poolewe.

Boydie, next time do a run out to the Western Isles/Hebrides. Well worth the effort, and the ferries aren't expensive.

We actually stopped at the Torridon Resort as the evening and scenery was spectacular so we tried to blag a room since it was so late in the evening. We were serious tempted by their whisky collection of which @Carson got a picture but they were looking too much money for the night sadly

5B579084-BD21-4862-BE9A-EB08A39CC361.jpeg

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
This is class, I didn't do anything like the sort of write-up that you did of my trip but I recognise a fair few of the views!! On the advice of a few people that had done the full NC500 via the east coast return leg, we turned back after spending 2 nights at JOG and went to Bettyhill and south along loch naver to Larig. Honestly, as you said, there is so much to see that a quick tour doesn't even half cover what is there. You did a bloody good job though!

We stayed in a couple of great places that are worth mentioning.

The Old Pier House in Fort Agustus. Right on the shore of the Loch just North of the town, totally laid back and awesome views from the breakfast room. We sat there with the maps and planned out the next couple of days in complete peace and quiet. The owners horses would come down around the house in the morning and sit on the grass on the pier bank while you were having breakfast.

Westlea House BnB in Ullapool. Run by a couple from down near London who have moved up. It's a terrace house but they have done a great job of renovating it and the rooms were great, only a short stumble from the main street..

We also stayed at JOG in one of the new apartments attached to the original building beside the signpost. Odd place to stay but quirky and was relaxing. We went up to the sea stacks and the puffins at Duncansby Head. The apartment was great, would have loved to go across to Orkney but we didn't have time. 8-(

I'd like to take a month or two off and do a proper tour in a campervan, just stopping off wherever we like for a night.

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Went home to Coleraine via the Causeway Coast route for a change. Dare I say it, it felt very underwhelming - maybe because it was too busy and I made the worst road decision ever by going via Torr Head!

So narrow, busy and a bloody wedding going on half way down!

E050ADF2-BE82-4B5F-BAB6-D07714A166DB.jpeg

Heading back to Belfast this afternoon so maybe do the route @Cro did for the RMS run a few weeks ago.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
It is a brilliant road, but best enjoyed on a Wednesday morning in February, lol 😂

I love Torr Head, superb rally stage :heart_eyes:

Definitely not on a brilliantly sunny August bank holiday weekend though! Was up to Glenariff and back myself today with the parents. Views and scenery as spectacular as ever, but 30mph queue the whole way!

Just kick back, and enjoy the views :cool:

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
It is a brilliant road, but best enjoyed on a Wednesday morning in February, lol 😂

I love Torr Head, superb rally stage :heart_eyes:

Definitely not on a brilliantly sunny August bank holiday weekend though! Was up to Glenariff and back myself today with the parents. Views and scenery as spectacular as ever, but 30mph queue the whole way!

Just kick back, and enjoy the views :cool:

North coast was mad today, only got a few blasts the rest was cruising at best. I was in Glenariff myself. Seen quite a few clubs out about as well. Some classic fords and vauxhalls in small convoys.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
Saw the Fords and Mantas and whatnot at Glenarm, looked great and sounded even better :cool:

Best one I seen was a yellow dodge challenger in Ballycastle. It was epic looking.
We actually stopped at the Torridon Resort as the evening and scenery was spectacular so we tried to blag a room since it was so late in the evening. We were serious tempted by their whisky collection of which @Carson got a picture but they were looking too much money for the night sadly

View attachment 246846

Been up there myself, the Torridon is some spot.

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
Heading to this at the end of the month to see if I can improve on my previous best time! Didnt have the luck at Crail in July so hopefully with new tyres, DSG and haldex service, the car will perform well on the day (weather permitting). I have a Revo engine and gearbox mount kit which I am debating in fitting as I have read that it can feel quite harsh but then again, with the power going through my car, it might be a good idea for the racing.

Its a great day and I would encourage everyone to come down!

67964808_1158834464308494_5855444079889874944_n.jpg