Audi S4 Avant

Rossӏmac

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S4
Had been looking for something different as my previous Golf GTI was becoming a bit of a high mileage hero and I kinda wanted a change.

Saw a grey S4 Avant about a month ago that was very well specced but I didn't buy because it was slightly out of my desired budget and it like most Avants it had had dogs in it and my nose couldn't handle it.

Hunt went on and I looked at S3s Sportbacks and Saloons and 5dr Golf Rs but I think that the size of the boot seems to be so small in comparison to what I'm used to in my old GTI. I think it's the Haldex systems taking up space. I use my boot and sometimes put the seats down so I went back to S4 Avants.

In the end I spotted this one in London at a good price, the owner came across well and I had confidence that it was a good buy. Definitely not as many options as the grey one but I love them in white and it was within budget. Came with nav, heated sport seats. Pretty happy all around with that. Importantly for me, there was a guarantee of no dog smell and the condition by the pictures was very good and service history seemed good enough for me.

Screenshot_20201001-183614_2.png

Flew across with my dad on Sunday morning in early October and after throwing it around the roundabouts between the North and South terminals of Gatwick, I was sold!

Had to do 2 bank transfers because of app limits - mine went through instantly and the remaining amount from my dad's account (different bank than mine) didn't go through and was awaiting security clearance. Time was ticking to get the boat home at Stranraer and somehow the seller agreed to let us head on despite many thousands yet to land in his account! Very trusting, not something I would do but it helped us out and got us on the road. It was an hour later that the bank's security team finally greenlit the payment and it arrived in his account. Phew!

Stopped in at Warwick services to food and fuel up and pump the tyres up.

PXL_20201004_133905751.jpg

Made Stranraer in good time!

PXL_20201004_183728517.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20201011_105355726.jpg

The first change I was on the lookout for was to get 19" wheels on it. Wanted OEM that was the correct fit for my car, so got these for a good price.

PXL_20201009_182302928.NIGHT.jpg

I think they look great!

PXL_20201011_174452573.jpg
PXL_20201011_174432364.jpg
PXL_20201011_174412632.jpg

Don't have any plans for it except to retrofit a set of power-folding mirrors that I paid a tonne of money for on eBay already...

Enjoying the move to the S Tronic so far, it is a lot of fun to just floor the accelerator no matter what you're doing. Still getting used to the flappy paddles, haven't really had a big use for them yet, but wanting to learn, so giving them a go at least.

It was Chris Harris' video on remapping the S4 to match an RS4 that made me always look at these, I watch that video every 6 months haha... I think I'll hold off until I've had the car at least a year or 2. I am looking to get an Audi warranty of sorts, so wouldn't want any issues with that either.

Anyway, thanks for the read! I'll try to keep it updated with things I do to it.

brendy

RMS Regular
Had been looking for something different as my previous Golf GTI was becoming a bit of a high mileage hero and I kinda wanted a change.

Saw a grey S4 Avant about a month ago that was very well specced but I didn't buy because it was slightly out of my desired budget and it like most Avants it had had dogs in it and my nose couldn't handle it.

Hunt went on and I looked at S3s Sportbacks and Saloons and 5dr Golf Rs but I think that the size of the boot seems to be so small in comparison to what I'm used to in my old GTI. I think it's the Haldex systems taking up space. I use my boot and sometimes put the seats down so I went back to S4 Avants.

In the end I spotted this one in London at a good price, the owner came across well and I had confidence that it was a good buy. Definitely not as many options as the grey one but I love them in white and it was within budget. Came with nav, heated sport seats. Pretty happy all around with that. Importantly for me, there was a guarantee of no dog smell and the condition by the pictures was very good and service history seemed good enough for me.

View attachment 298780

Flew across with my dad on Sunday morning in early October and after throwing it around the roundabouts between the North and South terminals of Gatwick, I was sold!

Had to do 2 bank transfers because of app limits - mine went through instantly and the remaining amount from my dad's account (different bank than mine) didn't go through and was awaiting security clearance. Time was ticking to get the boat home at Stranraer and somehow the seller agreed to let us head on despite many thousands yet to land in his account! Very trusting, not something I would do but it helped us out and got us on the road. It was an hour later that the bank's security team finally greenlit the payment and it arrived in his account. Phew!

Stopped in at Warwick services to food and fuel up and pump the tyres up.

View attachment 298783

Made Stranraer in good time!

View attachment 298784

View attachment 298785

The first change I was on the lookout for was to get 19" wheels on it. Wanted OEM that was the correct fit for my car, so got these for a good price.

View attachment 298787

I think they look great!

View attachment 298788View attachment 298789View attachment 298790

Don't have any plans for it except to retrofit a set of power-folding mirrors that I paid a tonne of money for on eBay already...

Enjoying the move to the S Tronic so far, it is a lot of fun to just floor the accelerator no matter what you're doing. Still getting used to the flappy paddles, haven't really had a big use for them yet, but wanting to learn, so giving them a go at least.

It was Chris Harris' video on remapping the S4 to match an RS4 that made me always look at these, I watch that video every 6 months haha... I think I'll hold off until I've had the car at least a year or 2. I am looking to get an Audi warranty of sorts, so wouldn't want any issues with that either.

Anyway, thanks for the read! I'll try to keep it updated with things I do to it.
Very good choice and get it revo'd ASAP, it makes such a difference :grinning:.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
That is lovely!! So fresh looking in white. The peelers look so much better too (y).

Any interior shots?

Rossӏmac

RMS Regular
OP
Rossӏmac
Drives
Audi S4
I'm barely getting used the power upgrade as it is, I think a revo would have me in a hedge without fail :joy:

I think the peelers suits it perfectly, not too big, not too small etc. Will get some interior shots up tomorrow with the light! On the lookout for a genuine boot liner, I think I've spotted one in Dromore on Gumtree so might be heading that direction tomorrow evening, like I need an excuse to drive this thing!

Rossӏmac

RMS Regular
OP
Rossӏmac
Drives
Audi S4
Loved my S4 avant in the limited time I had it, would def have another one!

Hah, years ago I test drove yours (at least, I think this was yours 8o|) for a bit of fun. Had no intention of buying but hey, it set me up for this I think

IMG_20150716_124203.jpg

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
Class cars, I had absolutely no intention of buying one until I drove mine. Had a deposit on it the next morning. I went for the Eibach Pro Kit on mine, 30mm lowering. Never scuffs at all and sits lovely.

Get some interior pics up! I'm on the lookout for an intake of some sort and spacers. If you come across either, let me know :p

Deleted member 13907

D
Love these. Part of me really wants an S3 next, but like yourself I've got too used to having estates (albeit diesel estates) and I'm scared I'd miss the lack of space.
As per other comments, it looks nice and fresh in white.

Rossӏmac

RMS Regular
OP
Rossӏmac
Drives
Audi S4
Class cars, I had absolutely no intention of buying one until I drove mine. Had a deposit on it the next morning. I went for the Eibach Pro Kit on mine, 30mm lowering. Never scuffs at all and sits lovely.

Get some interior pics up! I'm on the lookout for an intake of some sort and spacers. If you come across either, let me know :p

I only saw your thread under mine in "Similar threads" - funny how similar our situations are - Mk5 GTI to B8.5 S4 and I think I spot a Fiat 500 in your drive too :joy:
I'd be interested to see what a kit would do - I'd be more interested in handling than lowering, but if that's what you need to do to improve then I'd be open to it!

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Had mine for over 4 years and it was faultless.spent many ££££ doing sh1t but defo doing the pulley or going duel pulley puts these upwards of 470hp .

As for a intake I can recommend the cts turbo for these .They really let the noise of the charger out and it absolutely screams .if your looking any parts I can pass you on a guys details for all tuning parts .

Rossӏmac

RMS Regular
OP
Rossӏmac
Drives
Audi S4
I think I'd be interested in a stage 1 APR ECU+TCU... I see they do Black Friday deals every year, so may look into this year... not sure if I'd see the big benefit as I don't see high revs that often!

I've done ~2k miles in just under a month, just tootling down to the golf course and it's been faultless, really enjoying it!

Some interior shots:

Interior 1.jpg

Interior 2.jpg

Interior 3.jpg

Interior 4.jpg

Cleaned the tailpipes the other day - before:

Tailpipes left before.jpg

Tailpipes right before.jpg

And after - came up nicely!
Tailpipes left after.jpg

Tailpipes right after.jpg

after clean.jpg

Next up was to get a battery charger so I can update the MMI reliably without worrying about it cutting out and bricking (map update takes 1.5-2hrs):

Battery charger.jpg

My maps were years old and it was annoying driving on new roads that the MMI thinks don't exist, so I got the latest 2020/2021 maps. Turns out someone before me had updated my firmware already, so no need to get it updated, handy!

The existing maps are from 2014:
Nav before.jpg

Did the update overnight last night (during storm Aiden):
Nav during.jpg

And after:
Nav after.jpg

Have made a few other VCDS tweaks: rear lights running all of the time, mirror dip on the left side when reversing, Hill Hold Assist "Lite" and also enabling of Audi Drive Select "Lite" mode:

ADS.jpg

Finally, I did my first retrofit, a set of power-folding mirrors. Coming from a Mk5 Golf GTI with the Luxury Pack meant that I was spoilt with the folding mirrors, and I was hating that I needed to fold them up every time manually... so I got a set of eBay and then fitted them through the week - really happy with them and a lot of money well spent in my opinion!

Mirrors before fitting.jpg

Mirrors 2.jpg

Mirrors 1.jpg

mirrors after.jpg

So that's where I'm at but I couldn't possibly leave this update without mentioning my big thanks to @hannakournikova for being an AutoTrader ace :heart_eyes::heart_eyes: and pointing me in the direction of this car while I was looking at less than shady examples in the name of cost. It was a little more expensive but definitely worth it!

On the lookout for an OEM boot liner as all of the shopping keeps sliding around the in boot, which is less than ideal, so if anyone has one, let me know!

Last edited:

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
I think I'd be interested in a stage 1 APR ECU+TCU... I see they do Black Friday deals every year, so may look into this year... not sure if I'd see the big benefit as I don't see high revs that often!

I've done ~2k miles in just under a month, just tootling down to the golf course and it's been faultless, really enjoying it!

Some interior shots:

View attachment 300615
View attachment 300616
View attachment 300617
View attachment 300618

Cleaned the tailpipes the other day - before:

View attachment 300607
View attachment 300608

And after - came up nicely!
View attachment 300609
View attachment 300610
View attachment 300625

Next up was to get a battery charger so I can update the MMI reliably without worrying about it cutting out and bricking (map update takes 1.5-2hrs):

View attachment 300611

My maps were years old and it was annoying driving on new roads that the MMI thinks don't exist, so I got the latest 2020/2021 maps. Turns out someone before me had updated my firmware already, so no need to get it updated, handy!

The existing maps are from 2014:
View attachment 300612
Did the update overnight last night (during storm Aiden):
View attachment 300613
And after:
View attachment 300614

Have made a few other VCDS tweaks: rear lights running all of the time, mirror dip on the left side when reversing, Hill Hold Assist "Lite" and also enabling of Audi Drive Select "Lite" mode:

View attachment 300624

Finally, I did my first retrofit, a set of power-folding mirrors. Coming from a Mk5 Golf GTI with the Luxury Pack meant that I was spoilt with the folding mirrors, and I was hating that I needed to fold them up every time manually... so I got a set of eBay and then fitted them through the week - really happy with them and a lot of money well spent in my opinion!

View attachment 300626

View attachment 300627
View attachment 300628
View attachment 300629

So that's where I'm at but I couldn't possibly leave this update without mentioning my big thanks to @hannakournikova for being an AutoTrader ace :heart_eyes::heart_eyes: and pointing me in the direction of this car while I was looking at less than shady examples in the name of cost. It was a little more expensive but definitely worth it!

On the lookout for an OEM boot liner as all of the shopping keeps sliding around the in boot, which is less than ideal, so if anyone has one, let me know!

Want these folding mirrors for my bmw but jokers on ebay want 500 quid for the set :worried:

Looks great with the updates!!!

Rossӏmac

RMS Regular
OP
Rossӏmac
Drives
Audi S4
To be honest, I paid £470 for the lot pictured and I didn't need the door control modules as I already had the correct version, so I have the modules, existing trim and switch and 2 full silver wing mirrors to sell, so likely get £150 back on that... It's a worthy expense, I promise :p

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
That’s lovely ! Nice choice. A nice light tint on the rear windows would look well.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
That really is fantastic. Love it!

Where did you get the map update from? Could it have been done on the original firmware, or did the firmware need updated first?

Wee flat bottom wheel would look well in there.

Rossӏmac

RMS Regular
OP
Rossӏmac
Drives
Audi S4
I would just update the firmware if I was behind anyway, just to get any bug fixes!

Welcome to drop by and I can get you sorted...

"Audi Steering Wheel" is my current eBay alert haha, on the look out for either an S4/S5/SQ5/RS4 flat-bottomed wheel with white stitching. Have seen an RS4 one on eBay but it's maybe one for the future!

Last edited:

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
I think I’d hold off for an RS4/5 Wheel, the standard S4/5 ones aren’t any thicker. The additional thickness makes a big difference. It might actually work out cheaper getting an S4 wheel and paying Royal Steering Wheels to retrim it.

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
Good job! Did you do the updates using the stuff from a5oc? I planned to do it this weekend but life got in the way. It’s pencilled in for next weekend.

would love power mirrors in my own but £470 is just too much lol. Flat bottom steering wheel makes a huge difference IMO. I thought all b8.5s came with one

Rossӏmac

RMS Regular
OP
Rossӏmac
Drives
Audi S4
Yeah for the stuff from a5oc. Pretty simple, message me if you need help or even want an SD card sent in the post or whatever.

That was my guess as well on the FBSW but nope! It was an optional extra and then I think in 2014/5 they made it standard, but I'm not 100% on that, just from what I've discerned after reading a bunch of brochures from each year... I would want one, but all in time