Audi S4 Avant

Rossӏmac

RMS Regular
OP
Rossӏmac
Drives
Audi S4
So just a small update - only thing I've been dossing around with is alloy wheels the past few months.

Bought a set of genuine A5 19" Rotors that had been refurbed fully in anthracite from @ruairi83 - got them because they were a different fitment to the A4's 19" Rotors and hoped these would fill the arch gap nicely.

PXL_20210321_171348410 (1).jpg

PXL_20210321_171234030 (1).jpg

came with winters and of course only got 1 real day of snow over in Dundonald - definitely sold on the idea of winters though, as I was able to tear around with enough grip to have fun while remaining within the kerbs.

PXL_20210213_142837171 (1).jpg

In the end, I wasn't a fan of the 1 colour anthracite and felt it didn't match the chrome look that the rest of the car had, so Cobra Customs refurbed the Peelers in hyper silver and put Pilot Spot 4 S all around.

PXL_20210320_162813302 (1).jpg

PXL_20210321_182239651 (1).jpg

Also bought H&R 10mm Hubcentric Spacers spacers for the front and 12mm for the back from @ruairi83.

PXL_20210321_182328785 (1).jpg

PXL_20210321_182335361 (1).jpg

Have got it booked in with @RubberLover this Friday to get a full wheel alignment done but other than that, I haven't really done much to it apart from service it!

Still loving how smooth it is when driving around town and then how quick it can be when you want. Exactly what I was after! Keep thinking about a remap, but really, it's more than quick for what I need, so perhaps next year 8o|

Now to paint that fence, de-moss the garden and clean that algae off the render!

Rossӏmac

RMS Regular
OP
Rossӏmac
Drives
Audi S4
I think I’d hold off for an RS4/5 Wheel, the standard S4/5 ones aren’t any thicker. The additional thickness makes a big difference. It might actually work out cheaper getting an S4 wheel and paying Royal Steering Wheels to retrim it.
Got myself a flat-bottomed S5 wheel from Germany on the eBay and it cleaned up well!

Based on your comment I was considering holding out for an RS4 wheel for the thickness but was surprised to find that the FBSW actually is thicker (by up to about 2cm in circumference at the thickest points with the grip). Quite chuffed!

Gave it the magic eraser treatment and toothbrush cleaning:

a7edc619-f3fc-4abb-bd43-58083e50a9af.png

PXL_20210611_111524527.jpg

PXL_20210611_201023292.jpg

One thing I need to sort is the airbag as it doesn't seem to fit very well. Is there a different airbag for the FBSW? To Google...

Mark315

RMS Regular
Drives
R
looks great! Plan to get a flat bottom wheel for the A6 in the future. Proving to be a PITA. The airbag from a round wheel will not fit tight with a flat bottom wheel. So few manual A6/7s about finding a flat bottom one is like hens teeth. Royal steering wheels might be the guys for me!

Rossӏmac

RMS Regular
OP
Rossӏmac
Drives
Audi S4
Yep, on the hunt for a flat bottom-fitting airbag now, £245 on eBay... Seems like others are selling for that money too. Maybe I'll just put up with the gap behind the airbag!

This was the first one I came across at ok money in 8 months. I thought I wouldn't see another so just went for it. No doubt they'll be like London buses now haha. Good luck on your hunt!

Rossӏmac

RMS Regular
OP
Rossӏmac
Drives
Audi S4
Took an unplanned trip up to @auto-tune earlier and had a good afternoon getting an APR ECU map onto the car. Also took Auto-Tune's TCU map (as they couldn't do APR's TCU for some technical reason) so now the car revs out past 6200 revs to about 7300rpm in Manual mode. Really cool to hear it rev out more!

The power increase from 333hp/327tq to 433hp/364tq is simply glorious. The car feels completely alive now! Going through 2nd and 3rd gears, it just keeps on pulling. Absolutely chuffed with it!

2021-07-05__23.50.46.jpeg

One of the fellas doing the tune had to double check that the car was actually what I said it was as in chrome form and not the usual Black Edition form, he thought it was a 2.0tdi, which I actually kinda liked. Do I actually have a bit of a sleeper on my hands? 😆

Last edited:

Rossӏmac

RMS Regular
OP
Rossӏmac
Drives
Audi S4
thats unreal gains.... enjoy it :grinning:
Cheers! I too felt it was a bit optimistic but as Auto-Tune's 4wd rolling road is out of action, I couldn't do a before/after comparison, so quoting the numbers on APR's website, which I imagine are a bit of a stretch 😉

Went for the 95 ron map as for the sake of 10hp from the 98 ron map and the likely event that I'll be somewhere in the Republic of Ireland someday on a tour without access to 97 ron like we do up here, felt it was safer to do this.

Rossӏmac

RMS Regular
OP
Rossӏmac
Drives
Audi S4
Carplay might be up next as well. I don't mind the MMI as it is and it does everything I've asked of it, but it would be great to have a voice search that actually worked as Audi's thing is so crap 😅