Audi S5 4.2l V8

neil-c

RMS Regular
Picked up this on Friday evening and popping my RMS members car thread cherry with a few photos. Came from England at just under a year old with 8k miles by a family member who I've just purchased it from.

Spec is brilliant with nearly all available optional extras:
2008 Audi S5 4.2l V8
45k miles with FSH
STronic 6 speed transmission
MMI Sat Nav Pack
Technology Pack- gives keyless entry/start, adaptive xenon lights, LED daytime lights, front and rear parking sensor with visual display
Cream leather interior with memory positions and heated. (is that standard on all S5's I dont know?)
Cruise control
Bang and Olufsen radio system
Carbon Atlas Interior Trim (half a dozen bits of carbon that the orginal owner paid cira £500 for!)

So far I have to say I'm absolutely loving it! Had it out for a run to Newcastle on Sunday and then down to Co Meath for a couple of days with the wife. Only down side was I had to let her drive for a few miles!

Painful bits definitely are tax (at £500/yr) and carrying fuel to the V8. Over the past 26,000miles its averages 21.5mpg with an average speed of 29mph. Horsing it on it sport mode over the weekend I've been getting 15-16 but its doing 25-26mpg on a 70/80mph motorway cruise.

Noise wise it sounds great- a gentle V8 grumble with a growl when you plant it- no pops or bangs but you wouldn't expect that from an Audi.

Driving wise the journalist reviews have been rather middling if you look up the likes of EVO magazine etc. but to be honest I cant see how it doesn't put a smile on your face. Part of it may be that the speed climbs quicker on the speedo that it feels in your ass but the levels of grip and confidence at speed through corners is great.

Plans are just to drive it for the moment- considering some spacers to move the wheels out into the arches a little but I'm not sure if it's low enough to do that- don't want a 4x4 look!

(hold off on the comments until I add a few pictures below from my phone)

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Very interested to hear your thoughts as the weeks go on.

Sounds great (y).

neil-c

RMS Regular
OP
neil-c
A few pictures

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    166.9 KB · Views: 226
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 220
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 239

neil-c

RMS Regular
OP
neil-c
Before I picked it up it also went to @big_pete to get a full interior and exterior valet. The leather was looking a little worn on the drivers bolster but it came up again really well.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 213
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 221
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 228
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 201

neil-c

RMS Regular
OP
neil-c
No bought it straight from the family member so no warranty- price paid is going to reflect that. I know what all has been done to the car and that it hasn't given any bother so far so fingers crossed!

neil-c

RMS Regular
OP
neil-c
And parked up after a more fun than normal commute

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    207.6 KB · Views: 264
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    211.5 KB · Views: 204

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Good choice, nice colour also (y)

Fuel wise that's very similar to the RS4

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
Very nice! Great to see one pop up on here. Appears to have a decent spec and reassuring from your perspective that you know the cars history.

neil-c

RMS Regular
OP
neil-c
IMG_20200610_213053.jpg

inCollage_20210124_102546692.jpg

Thread update...

I actually realised I have very few photos of the car when I went to update this - will have to get a few when the weather improves.

Done nothing with the car other than enjoy it since we got it in 2016. We've put 40k miles on it in that time and all I've had to do is keep it serviced. It just does everything so well. At the moment my wife is doing a fairly big commute in it twice a week so it'll probably get another 10k on it in the next 6 months.

It is such a comfortable car to drive - more of a fast road cruiser than a sports car but it just eats up the miles with the performance when needed and subtle V8 burble.

I've considered an exhaust upgrade to bring a bit more theatre but then I think it loses what this car is meant to be.

The one thing I should have done a long time ago was spacers and springs. It does sit a bit high and the arches aren't as filled out as they should be.

Plans for the summer are to get the wheels refurbished - they all have several kerb marks on them (and I have to admit more from me than the wife!) and keep an eye out for springs and spacers.

neil-c

RMS Regular
OP
neil-c
So it's been an expensive week for the Audi - full set of Brembo discs and pads bought in the Eurocarparts sale.

And just picked up the car from having the wheels refurbished at Cobra Customs.

I had been running Maxxis tyres front and rear after a mechanic threw a set on before an MOT 2 years ago. They wore really well but during the last service the mechanic noticed that the tread was delaminating from the inside shoulder and you could actually see the reinforcement through the 3 inch long crack. There was probably 3mm left on them as well and the wear was even across them. Lucky he saw it as the wife is doing a lot of miles in it these days commuting to Derry. Grip wise the Maxxis have been 100% but it put me off buying another set. Black Circle were running a deal on Goodyear Eagle F1s so got 4 of those delivered for £450 which was decent.

The car is rotten after the drive home from Randalstown so will throw up a few photos once I get it washed.

Last edited: