Audi to Bmw ?

Avant1

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi
Right guys I’ve been a VAG fan since 16
From Vw’s to Audi’s etc as I’ve aged ..
I’ve been finding myself looking at Bmw’s recently and in discussions with the wife we’ve started looking at the 2010 on 320d with the Msport kits and so on .
We really like the A5 3.0tdi Quattro too with a panroof

So here’s the question

Do I stick with what I know ?

I currently drive a B6 2.5 tdi Quattro
She’s in a 2.0 tdi A3

What’s the general thoughts on the Bmw’s?
Reliability etc
Pic attached of what we’re looking at in the Bavarian stable

Ps : the last time I really bothered with a bmw is when I owned a 84 7 series when I was 23 l😂

Attachments

• 6FA39F24-4C0A-479C-A8B8-6F3555D1D4BA.jpeg
    6FA39F24-4C0A-479C-A8B8-6F3555D1D4BA.jpeg
    201.9 KB · Views: 176

brendy

RMS Regular
2010 3 series...whatever you do, dont stare at the awful straight line bonnet...definitely dont look at it, dont wonder why the hell they would make an extra shut line over the e90.

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Ive had my F30 3 series for just over 3 years, they are really good cars, not had any major issues with it, the iDrive went a little awol recently as it needs reflashed and updated but apart from that, pretty much 3 years of hassle free motoring. The Audi will have a slightly better built interior but the BMW will be more fun to drive, so you need to weigh up which is most important to you.

Here’s mine with the same kit you’re talking about.
5894750D-BCE1-4352-AC31-622C5E711AA8.jpeg

brendy

RMS Regular
Ive had my F30 3 series for just over 3 years, they are really good cars, not had any major issues with it, the iDrive went a little awol recently as it needs reflashed and updated but apart from that, pretty much 3 years of hassle free motoring. The Audi will have a slightly better built interior but the BMW will be more fun to drive, so you need to weigh up which is most important to you.

View attachment 239951
Lovely colour but Jesus H. that shutline, put it away.

colin84

RMS Regular
2010 3 series...whatever you do, dont stare at the awful straight line bonnet...definitely dont look at it, dont wonder why the hell they would make an extra shut line over the e90.

I had no idea what you were talking about, now it's all I can see when I look at one.

I'd still have a 340i about me though.

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
I think Brennan’s car is lovely but my only opinion is they are everywhere, I think a standard 330d m sport is a nicer car. Another issue I have is 2010 the bmw interior and dash hasn’t changed that much since 1900. I would stick with the Audi and I’m not an Audi fan.

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
Im in the situation myself went to look at 3series tourings recently and honestly I love the look of them from the outside but i found the interior such a let down!
But that's my personal opinion

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Glad a picture of that car was posted, never seen it before in every other thread on RMS.
Never fails to get a quick shot put up lol.like we don’t know what it looks like by now .is a nice car though to be fair .pity it wasn’t a 335 or that though .

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D

View attachment 239951

F30 wasn’t out in 2010. Always good to see it again though! 😜

If you can get a facelift, then the A5. If you can’t, definitely the BM. An LCi 320d M sport would be a nice choice for family car.

Last edited:

Avant1

RMS Regular
OP
Avant1
Drives
Audi
What are the Bm’s like for reliability? Anything to look out for ?

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
On another note. I have a beautiful 2012 a4 black Edition up for sale...

vezna

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
My specific Audi & BMW history goes Audi 80 2.0 petrol, Audi A4 1.8 petrol, BMW 120d (E87), BMW 116i (F20) and Audi A3 1.6 TDI (current model). I had endless reliability issues with the 120d and the 116i has had a fault that no one can figure out. I’d love to love BMW’s as they’re so damn good to drive in comparison to an Audi but ownership was trying to say the least. I’ve had other cars as well as the above but that lot is all the German wagons I’ve acquired so far.

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
I would say BMW but I am as biased as they come as I prefer BMW's.

Be wary of the so called 'M Performance' kit as 99.9% of them are fake ebay specials.

Great going car try to get one with pro nav and the M Sport plus pack as it comes with xenons, Harman Kardon sound and the bigger M brakes.

I think they are getting to the stage that a lot of them are dogs now and are really rough so just go in with your eyes open and you will be grand.

Also the service history is now on the iDrive so its stored electronically but just make sure it all checks out as it can be faked.