Audi TT (New Wheels page 12)

Jamesc

RMS Regular
OP
Jamesc
Drives
Audi TT, A4
I passed you on the Glenavy Road and was going to stop to see if everything was ok. Car looked really well though (y)

Cheers around that area i was having issues, stopped a few times let it cool then drove on a bit more, then eventually stopped and phoned home for a tow..typically it had to be lashing down! But got it back to the garage anyway.

It was the thermostat on the black vRS that gave me a scare. Was about 30 quid from abrahams.

I've a new thermostat coming today, hopefully pull the old one tonight and check the Impeller while its out, if nothing obviously broken stick the new themostat in and see. I was for doing the water pump later in the year but just bad timing now if it needs it dailys up for Mot tomorrow, which I'm expecting a bill for, and also buying a new car....and also just dropped my phone and smashed the screen...June's of to a great start lol

Jamesc

RMS Regular
OP
Jamesc
Drives
Audi TT, A4
Well thanks to photo bucket this thread is now dead :rolleyes: But might as well continue on

So a few photos when it was working
DSC_4387_zpsk52jtp5z by James Crowe, on Flickr

DSC_4281_zps5okkaj1v by James Crowe, on Flickr

Hadn't updated this with my findings, got the thermostat out and felt in the water pump....and....broken impeller :weary_face: so ordered up a complete kit and ended up having to wait nearly 3 weeks for it to arrive!
DSC_5471 by James Crowe, on Flickr

And a few of the TT as it currently sits
DSC_5473 by James Crowe, on Flickr
DSC_5475 by James Crowe, on Flickr
DSC_5476 by James Crowe, on Flickr

Waiting on another delivery of parts and hopefully have the car on the road by the end of the month...again! Also ordered some more carbon fibre :heart_eyes:

Jamesc

RMS Regular
OP
Jamesc
Drives
Audi TT, A4
Well Since Photobucket killed the images, ive since uploaded them all onto Flickr, but since no edit function on the forum and cant edit old posts So heres a link to the Album containing the images from day 1 of the car upto present day, if anyone wants to see some progress or old photos.

Old Images Uploaded to Flickr Album Here

And now time for mods/repair update, called into Audi Over the weekend, and picked up the final bolts i needed and didnt come with the "complete" kit i ordered, so i could get the car booked into to the mates and get the work done.....but typically after i remembered about the engine raisers, seeing as the motor mount need to be unbolted to do the belts nows a good time to get them fitted...and typically i only ordered them on Saturday after receiving everything else needed to get the car done not over the last 4 weeks while waiting on the other parts, but hopefully they will be here over the next few days, and can get the car booked in.

Jamesc

RMS Regular
OP
Jamesc
Drives
Audi TT, A4
Finally Progress!

Well after getting Accepted for Districts show at the start of July, thinking the car would 100% be ready so held onto the spot etc.......it didnt make it.....so with being accepted in to Built last weekend, i decided to turn down the spot as the car wasnt going to be ready.....turns out it was!...Doh!.. but had already mailed to say i wasn't making it...but had decided to give the car a bit of a break from the shows and get it ready in full swing for dubshed 2018.

Anyway on with some progress, I raised the Suspension (Yes it is raised by about an inch of thread in the front in these photos....shows you how low i actually was) and also refitted the OEM wheels with higher profile tyres and removed the Carbon splitter (also to repair the crack in the resin) to aid getting the car onto the lift etc. Upgraded water pump, and full timing belt and pullies etc as previous post, as well as engine mount spacers/raisers to raise the engine 15mm which will hopefully help the sump issues and cv joint angle issues and the car is running great now!

Work in Progress of the Waterpump/Belt Change
37229882785_ffeb58c2f2_c.jpg
[

36196785250_4d631557fc_c.jpg

36196785080_e52fdbe4f2_c.jpg

On the Windscreen Scuttle pannel of the TTs under the bonnet there is usually a plastic window which allows you to see the Vin stamped onto the body of the car under it, but as with age, and water resting in this area when parked plus heat from the engine the plastic goes cloudy and cracks and becomes very brittle, so i had picked out what ever was left of mine which tidied it up alot and ran it like this for the last few years, Though did mean a big red rectangle of painted area on display
35784121033_78d07c13fe_c.jpg

So i had this made up again from Real Carbon Fibre, and Engraved and filled etc
35784120913_3efe69ce02_c.jpg

Fills the gap nicely, cut to shape of the original plastic window (just resting in place for photo not installed properly yet), though the whole panel lifts easily to access the original body stamp VIN, if there was ever concern of clone/covering/masking attempts come mot/police etc.
36196784270_744e4cbc81_c.jpg

In talks with getting an Airlift Performance Series suspension atm (fully camber adjustable etc) . hopefully have news on that front soon, Also semi decided on new show wheels (yes i know the OZs suit it they will be staying also and fitted with a more track inspired rubber) quite a few other mods planned, but just to decide what to do first, big brakes, engine mods, or interior work etc. Im tempted with a V6 front bumper also, though just waiting to find one at reasonable money, Atm im not for paying 800+ for a used bumper that needs painted (even if i found a misano red one it would be resprayed).

Last edited:

Jamesc

RMS Regular
OP
Jamesc
Drives
Audi TT, A4
So got the car up and running with the new belts & pump etc and working perfect. Also fitted the Engine Raisers and all seemed good!. Went a few days later to move the car in the unit, and started it with awful vibrations and rattling, so re parked the car over the pit to get a look again when ive time and while moving in reverse (slightly going forward and turning) awful binding and grinding and juddering similar to a broken diff type of feeling/sound...something wasnt right.

36705195952_800fc5a467_c.jpg

Hard to get a decent photo of clearances, but the down pipe was basically resting on the firewall and on the heat shield right down under the car, as was the sportscat/decat would also be resting on the chassis/floor of the car, and mm of clearance on the steering rack and rear drive line. Thought of various possible solutions but all ment cutting and rejigging various parts of the car for a "possible" fix, so opted for the easiest one removing the spacers. Little annoying seeing as members on the forum have fitted the larger 20mm spacers with their only issue being the airbox wanting to sit higher (though an aftermarket filter fixes this) but then again very few people opt for lows and engine raisers and Stage2 performance modifications.

36067875083_8a684a3bac_c.jpg

36067874093_95b0bf17fb_c.jpg

36736543611_389178aeca_c.jpg

All built back up bar a few trim pieces and clips, to test the car and so far all is good driving as it should.
36736542091_1a6cd6b0b6_c.jpg

36067874543_da846a8047_c.jpg

So inlight of the engine spacers not working, ive decided to go down the skid plate route which hopefully be here soon. Also waiting to hear back about new calipers but more on that when i get more info. Awaiting alot of parts atm! though hopefully the car will be at Titanic Dubs in some shape or form, though the main deadline for the car is Dubshed, alot of plans just need to set out a plan in what to order first etc. but more on that when time comes.

Also very nearly clicked the Buy it Now button on a V6 front bumper, but decided to hold off for a few days, and while nosiying at a V6 TT one day i noticed the vents sit very far in compared to the turbo bumpers, then done a bit of research, people who fitted the Forge Intercooler needed no mods with the turbo bumper....and minor mods with the V6 bumper, were my intercooler set up needed quite a few mods on the turbo bumper, and was very close to not fitting behind the bumper, so no way a v6 bumper will fit with out serious modifications, so have hit that nail on the head.

Last edited:

Jamesc

RMS Regular
OP
Jamesc
Drives
Audi TT, A4
Not to much updates atm, havent really looked at the TT much since, anyone whos friends/follows me on facebook may have seen i took a notion to sell the TT. Im after a nice Subaru Impreza in the future when the TT is "Finished" to ad to the "collection" and the ideal one had came up white Prodrive Widetrack hawkeye, looked and sounded like a very good one but alas it sold very quickly, but thinking even if someone did pay me the price i put the TT up for id still regret it down the line so probably just as well.

Went to move the TT the other day basically had a flat battery just barely started and no more (forgot to connect the charger), and also had a flat tyre on the OEM rims. So set about getting the OZ wheels back on and ready to how she once looked. after raising it to make it easier to get onthe lift etc i had raised the suspension quite a bit and decided not to go quite as low this time round, as as nice as it looked, it was very low, and always a worry about busting the sump again. (images seem to have got very saturated when uploading for some reason)
37039217566_16fbb22560_c.jpg

37229883845_751e991363_c.jpg

Also the New undertray skid plate arrived on Monday seems to be a tasty bit of kit! hopefully get it fitted on saturday.
36392246234_c1a01d4739_c.jpg

Another reason i didnt want to go threw the hassle of lowering the car right down again is the TT is (hopefully) going to Autofest this weekend, and Titanic Dubs at the end of the month and been taken off the road for winter make over and show prep including air ride, Though went a bit mad in work and bought a pile of new detailing gear...and still a pile more on the list, but ive a while till Dubshed so can do alot more saving.

Initial plans are fix the wee bits on the bodywork im not happy with properly, as well as a big brake kit up front, (and possibly the rear at some stage), Also working on some Custom interior touches atm though more on them when ive more progress and most importantly photos.

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
You have put some amount of work in bud, you would be mad to sell it. Hopefully see it at cars and coffee or titanic dubs.

Jamesc

RMS Regular
OP
Jamesc
Drives
Audi TT, A4
So attempted to fit the Skid plate intime for Autofest in Omagh, but struggled with it and couldnt get it bolted in, then decided not to take it, just incase with my luck id probably sump it, and would be even worse seeing as i had a skid plate to cover it but wasnt fitted, Flat out with work so couldnt get looking at it till the weekend there and finally got it sorted on Sunday instead of going to Mondello.

36650147564_b19aaeae22_c.jpg

After testing the car since the skid plate has been fitted.....damn was/i am low! the car currently is "raised" to how its sat before, the amount of times the skid plate scuffed the ground on many main roads, was quite worrying how close the sump etc were to the ground before i never realised.

While waiting in the unit prior to fitting the skid plate i played around with some vinyl, atm im on the fence with it its "missing" something, especially the way it just stops at the bumper so removed it again and may work out some graphics for next years look to change it up a bit. (excuse the stonechipped flat/satin finished carbon splitter after breaking it when i was being towed when the water pump failed, i planned to replace it and the car not being back out so late on in the year, i didnt intend of showing the car again, but since thats changed i threw it on for a quick fix for Titanic dubs)
36650147814_4d0eb3829f_c.jpg

37312313986_4b7c9efdce_c.jpg
37103198810_87d0943a3d_c.jpg

The cars booked into Titanic Dubs this weekend which will be the final outing for the car for this year, as the tax runs out on Saturday, and decided to Sorn it until the car needs to be onthe road for heading to the Bodyshop etc. quite a few plans for the car for next year, but more on that as and when it comes.

You have put some amount of work in bud, you would be mad to sell it. Hopefully see it at cars and coffee or titanic dubs.

Yeah i knew it was a bad idea when i stuck it up, and know i would regret it, but thankfully/sadly the car didnt sell in time so its staying again lol Had planned to be at cars and coffee when it was originally last week, but now its this week it wont be there as tax is out at the end of the month, and sorning it ready for the winter make over until it needs to go on the road to take it for paint etc. But it should be at Titanic dubs all being well.

Last edited:

Jamesc

RMS Regular
OP
Jamesc
Drives
Audi TT, A4
The TT made it to Titanic Dubs at the weekend, only getting caught on ramps and rough ground a few times, though thankfully no damage to the car other than scrapes on the under tray and damaging the splitter once again.

37478945461_a9a9007fd5_c.jpg

36809549443_ffa70c8b6e_c.jpg

36809549233_41596b47f9_c.jpg

36809549563_94a2fca2c4_c.jpg

37478945781_100511c177_c.jpg

36769823164_8efa58fb03_c.jpg

For those who attended may have noticed the splitter was in very bad shape....well its in worse shape now after catching it on the way home from the show, but will be changing it for a new Carbon one for the new year, possibly a completely different design. Car was brought back to the unit, and now Sorn'd till a later date when it has to go on the road for some work (paint etc) Planed to start saving and make some purchases in the coming months but already started spending :lol: Not letting the cat out the "bag" yet, but knowing me i probably will once parts start arriving, though hoping the put the car in for paint early next year for a front end respray (possibly more depending on funds), and alot of other mods planed for Dubshed in April.

Jamesc

RMS Regular
OP
Jamesc
Drives
Audi TT, A4
Went threw and sorted all my camera gear a few weeks back after alot of it being in storage, and with the darker evenings rolling in and the TT off the road, thought it was a good excuse to get the Studio lights out and give them a go.

23808342538_34c6b8878e_c.jpg

37403100090_1903dca2fd_c.jpg

37661565011_a0bf3a9c3f_c.jpg

37661564891_7a76e618be_c.jpg

37661564391_6435252704_c.jpg

37661564801_5b5efc022d_c.jpg

37403099970_6ce6fc2bbf_c.jpg

37661564591_f40bef004a_c.jpg

37661564231_778bcf6b39_c.jpg

37661564471_dfe9049ed6_c.jpg

37403099910_4c4bf60df5_c.jpg

A little bit rusty with the lights as havent used them in about 5 years when i used to do Portrait photography but pretty happy with how they came out need a better back drop

And now the cat that was in the bag in the previous post, people who follow me on Instagram or Facebook will have spotted these already so might as well post them here too
23808401178_7557330e96_c.jpg

36950500614_b62a259dd4_c.jpg

37403134330_0c79ca878b_c.jpg

Airlift Performance Series Front struts, For those who dont know the difference, the more common Airlift struts people fit are the "XL Slam" Series which is basically a basic strut with a bag fitted. These are "Performance" Series versions which have adjustable camber, and Dampening, and also a threaded strut to allow adjustment on the bag on the strut similar to a coilover adjustment. Still need to purchase the Rear bags and Management set up, but at least this is a good start.

Jamesc

RMS Regular
OP
Jamesc
Drives
Audi TT, A4
Another Parcel arrived today!
38697440572_353a46c708_c.jpg

Rear Airlift bags to match the Fronts in the previous post, Also have my Airlift Management Set up to arrive, Opted for the Airlift 3p Management rather than the v2 i was originally going to go for. Plan is to have it all fitted up early in the new year, then send the car off to get the paintwork bits sorted. Few other plans i want to have done for dubshed, but more on that when my bank account recovers after this months spending!

Jamesc

RMS Regular
OP
Jamesc
Drives
Audi TT, A4
Management Arrived, now just to fit it.

38859076611_9cfd40c57b_c.jpg

No photos of the compressor but opted to go for a all black version rather than the usual chrome ones that come with the airlift kits people go for, though with my initial idea for the boot build it wont be seen either way, but was the same price as the chrome version anyway lol Down side to it all sitting ready to go is i want to fit it now. though ive enough work on atm, ive not even looked at it since titanic dubs, sitting in the corner of the unit gathering dust lol 4 months till dubshed....plenty of time lol

Jamesc

RMS Regular
OP
Jamesc
Drives
Audi TT, A4
Well after 10 years of saying "im going to put air suspension in it!" on every car ive owned......its finally fitted!!

26514949968_65515ef927_c.jpg

40386144811_c3458dd5c0_c.jpg

40341047332_03615990a8_c.jpg

26514956478_a8080b3b98_c.jpg

And for those who dont know airlift....its not always low

40341046302_53ca9d650f_c.jpg

26514952808_279f8ba645_c.jpg

Over the moon with the car now, and drive so nice and havent even played with the strut damping adjustment. so much nicer drive than the coilovers previously, not that it was terrible but it almost feels standard now especially at drive height. No Chassis notch needed as shes sitting on the arches as it is and the driveshaft doesnt touch, also the Antiroll bar is still fitted which many do away with so it keeps the handling as should.

Jamesc

RMS Regular
OP
Jamesc
Drives
Audi TT, A4
Been far too busy to update this, though the car went for MOT the other week Passed with no issues thankfully, Though for all the miles it had done since previous mot and a pile of new parts. Though there was a local show in Portadown Carpark decided to take the car down for a nosy

39539739380_a8a06d755e_c.jpg

39539738980_6ec1983d0a_c.jpg

Excuse the Number plate placement i haddnt got round to making a new stick on number plate.

Next up was dubshed, i always liked the Cupra style splitter i had on before (especially when in carbon) but it wasnt 100% so decided to try this 3 piece splitter, wasnt 100% sold on it but decided to spray it and fit it anyway and make my mind up. Car the Night before dubshed ready to go after a full detail, interior boot build complete and new splitter. I had last minute realised i haddnt ordered any leather for the boot build and only had enough to do a part, and ordering online with the Easter holidays, it would have left it tight for arriving, so called into a local fabric shop all they had was black or brown so opted for Black as i thought it would be better than plain MDF
39539738650_d1c3724330_c.jpg

Sadly after leaving my place on the way to dubshed on the Saturday Morning, pulled out to over take a car 2mins from mine, and was met with a grinding noise, sadly the front lower splitter had partly came off was scraping the ground, so as it was fixable no point chucking it, and had no easy way of securing it at the show and looked silly sitting in the passenger seat the whole time i set it in front of the car at the show.

39539737980_e5999c813c_c.jpg

39539737930_1c1efe3815_c.jpg

39539737830_87d57d0c45_c.jpg

39539737750_d27c09cee9_c.jpg

40634995174_50b1ec2bcf_c.jpg

40453169465_40e81a5633_c.jpg

41348579091_9a9b49fef5_c.jpg

41348578761_9222c28b28_c.jpg

Version 2.0 Of the splitter is already in Progress with the Gloss black centre bit being replaced with a Carbon Fibre verison, and seeing as the splitter has grown on me i will make it more secure fitting (it was previously Trim Tape and self tappers but manged to pull out over the self tappers) Also hoping to get the car into paint to have the front end and side skirts painted, Also getting some interior work next month, and the engine bay work done, Also a pile of parts sitting waiting some custom work being done on them to go on the car.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Massive improvement on the current wheels! Looked really tidy at the show at the weekend, paintwork was gleaming too :grinning:

Jamesc

RMS Regular
OP
Jamesc
Drives
Audi TT, A4
Massive improvement on the current wheels! Looked really tidy at the show at the weekend, paintwork was gleaming too :grinning:

Cheers mate, Yeah was well pleased with how the paint came up i dont think im going to get the paint much more gloss than it has now lol.

As I was saying yesterday I couldn't get over how well the wheels looked in person with the red. Pictures don't do it justice.

Yeah thats one thing i dont like about the OZ's they are hard to get a good photo of, you either get a good pic showing the wheels, and the car looks terrible, or the car looks great in the pic and then the wheels are just black blobs under the arch, I am looking at replacements in the future and tossing up going silver or like a shadow chrome, dark smoke silver colour to give them a bit more depth in pics but do love the OZs and are a favourite wheel of mine and do suit the car so hard to know what to do, would like something staggered widths or wider all round too lol.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Sell them and get something better.

P.s, I'll take those horrid wheels off you :p

Jamesc

RMS Regular
OP
Jamesc
Drives
Audi TT, A4
Sell them and get something better.

P.s, I'll take those horrid wheels off you :p

Worth a Try lol But if i ever do pick another set of wheels these will be kept and used with some sticky rubber, unless the new wheels are also a motorsport weighted wheel.

Not much to update of lately, Car has been my daily driver and bar costing a fortune to fuel to go to work and "on site" jobs around the country, has been pretty issue free......well bar loosing half my passenger side wheel arch liner....still dunno what happened it!

But last week attended Cars, Bikes & Coffee at Craigavon Civic Centre.
41082232865_9188a9e123_c.jpg

Then Also Loughgall Festival Of Motorsport/JPCCNI Show, on a suppliers stand.
41082232755_2107a890a5_c.jpg

41082232305_723ea288d6_c.jpg

41082232655_afdbe7d2fc_c.jpg

After the show was parked up talking with a few mates, and another pulled up in his slightly modified Misano Red TT
41082232415_c79d2d4470_c.jpg

41082232555_afdbe7d2fc_c.jpg

Funny people look at my car and think big wheels and airlift.....but when you see the two parked side by side there is some difference.

And Finally Cars and Coffee at Down Royal
41082232225_474ffee994_c.jpg

People were also asking for a video of the air else were so thought i might as well include it on here too. (excuse the wind noise)

Few more modifications lined up over the coming weeks, and hopefully a trip to the bodyshop for paint work as theres bits really annoying me.

Jamesc

RMS Regular
OP
Jamesc
Drives
Audi TT, A4
Seeing as im planing on a few road trips i thought it was about time i done a test run to MLVW show in the south,
41758446594_af94c56e46_c.jpg

41578486045_f4a732fd13_c.jpg

Guts of 400miles round trip with a few detours and runs, with no issues, great roads driving down with little to no traffic so early in the morning was great fun, and thanks to the air ride on worries of bottoming out or sumping the car! i could drive the car hard with ease. locked the car up for a well deserved rest and a day or two later, Little did i know my fabia daily would break down on me so have been running the TT daily this last month, costing a fortune for work etc, but alot of fun smiles per gallon and all that.

Attended another local event for charity.
41758446964_2e45b158b6_c.jpg

41578486175_57a58db09e_c.jpg

Also now with some future Mods. I had been watching a set of Porsche Brake calipers one day and was seconds from messaging the seller, and happened to flick onto Facebook News feed to be greeted with a forsale advert from a Friend seconds before.
42430020192_fc23d9f61a_c.jpg

Audi RS4 B7 Steering wheel with airbag. Had been after one for years but couldnt justify the price they fetch used, and buying from ebay you cant really tell the condition till it arrives. So jumped on it when this came up, Sadly with running the car daily recently ive not been able to sit down and actually fit it incase i break something and put the car out of action.

I think they suit the Mk1 TT interiors so well with the silver trim matching the TTs trim. (random image from google of one in a TT)
42430020492_04a01dce7e_c.jpg

Also as the Steering wheel is perforated leather, and seeing as the car doesnt have any im getting some bits retrimed to match, but nothing over kill, more on that when its done. Hopefully getting the car in for paint very soon, and a few other bits and pieces planned, hopefully have the daily back in action tomorrow and can start working on the TT again.

Jamesc

RMS Regular
OP
Jamesc
Drives
Audi TT, A4
Did I see you this morning going past Killycomain school?
Would have likely been, I usually go that way heading for motorway.

Pics do this motor zero justice

I hear that alot! Alot of people said they were unsure on the OZ wheels until they seen it in the flesh, but I find it hard to get a good photo that's a good image.